Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Execution Sentence

Hey all,

Just curious about some specific mechanics of Execution Sentence such as how the game generates the specific scaling for each tick/the last burst damage.
    Generally during the fight on my pally i have 45kish AP, however during feather being at 10 stacks and GoAK being up, i have 125k.
    This makes for a MASSIVE increase with my execution sentence damage, and therefore my burst at the beginning of the fight, seeing as the largest part of its damage comes from the last burst.
    The main thing that i want to know is if i should be timing my ES to finish when i have 10 stacks of feather + other buffs, or if i should cast it when i have 10 stacks.

Thanks,
    Apocolips.

Deleted
    The correct answer is B)

The damage of Execution Sentence entirely depends on your AP/buffs when you cast it.
    The only ability which doesn't acts like this is Light's Hammer, but LH is acting like a pet, with a channeled AOE.
    The damage of ES and every other DoT in the game on the other hand is decided at the time you cast it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanko View Post
    The correct answer is B)

The damage of Execution Sentence entirely depends on your AP/buffs when you cast it.
    The only ability which doesn't acts like this is Light's Hammer, but LH is acting like a pet, with a channeled AOE.
    The damage of ES and every other DoT in the game on the other hand is decided at the time you cast it.
    Spot on. This is what we call a "snapshot". You can see it yourself: For example, while standing still check the tooltip of ES. Then pop GoaK, AW and feather. Check it again and you'll see the massive gain of it. What ES does is it "snapshots" your AP at the time you pop it and does damage accordingly to that AP even if your AP goes to nothing.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks heaps you two.

Deleted
    But I still wonder why LH works differently. -__-
    Not like it would matter much, as it is primarily used as a healing cd, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanko View Post
    But I still wonder why LH works differently. -__-
    Not like it would matter much, as it is primarily used as a healing cd, but still.
    LH is considered a "totem", so it dynamically updates.

Deleted
    ah good - i was wondering this last night when my vengence levels fluctuate quite widely. It snapshots, great.

Quote Originally Posted by Revvo View Post
    LH is considered a "totem", so it dynamically updates.
    Thought it was considered a "ground effect" like Cons/DnD (which also update dynamically)? Or are ground effects under the totem group?

Not that it really matters, just curious about semantics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

They're both considered a fire totem, if you create a WA that is a fire totem, but also allow it to load as a paladin instead of just a shaman, you'll see the bar ticking down for cons, not sure if LH is fire actually I haven't checked that, but it is definitely a totem.

Quote Originally Posted by Splashtastic View Post
    They're both considered a fire totem, if you create a WA that is a fire totem, but also allow it to load as a paladin instead of just a shaman, you'll see the bar ticking down for cons, not sure if LH is fire actually I haven't checked that, but it is definitely a totem.
    Hah, TIL.

I don't use WA, so never thought to investigate in that manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Hah, TIL.

I don't use WA, so never thought to investigate in that manner.
    I think it is, because if you use the default UI, you'll get one of those little circles on your nameplate with a timer, similar to a totem or Consc. (I think, been a while since I've used defiant frames)

Don't forget what "Snapshot" actually means.
    Every buff/debuff and effect on YOU will snapshot.
    Every buff/debuff and effect on TARGET will not snapshot.

Example, our 2 set (exorcism 6% holy damage damage) is applied to our target(s) that increases the damage they take for the duration of the effect. As soon as that buff/debuff/effect wears off the bonus damage stops regardless if you applied ES (or any dot) while the debuff was active.
    Another great example of this is on Jin'rokh, if pool is about to get electrified and you have a lot of procs from trinkets and such up switch to SoR and let Censure tick with the buffs + 50% bonus damage up. It's not going to make a huge difference but in the world of min/maxing you'll notice the changes per spell, (damage done, average ticks and so on.

I remember when I first got into this and it was so exciting to learn about all the little ways you can optimize damage, it's fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Splashtastic View Post
    if you have default player/target frames you'll see lights hammer come up under your player frame and you can right click it and get a menu up where you can cancel it, same for prot with Consecration. Very similar to how shaman totems look in the player frames.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

I think you mean swap to SoJ. SoR does terrible single target damage.

yeh, good catch :P
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the seal switching really give that much of a DPS boost to actually BOTHER doing it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    Does the seal switching really give that much of a DPS boost to actually BOTHER doing it?
    Wasn't seal change on the GCD? I remember something, that it was actually a DPS LOSS, since anything that you would use in that GCD, would hit harder, unless you would off-tank for a good while.

The seal swapping is for Rets with feather. It's considered a dps increase to swap to SoJ after applying a censure stack with a 10 stack of feather. Worth it? IMO no. It's a hassle for maybe 2k dps that you'll probably lose from being so concentrated on seal swapping anyways.