Weak Auras is making me lag..... BAD

I have been getting very bad lag lately and I have narrowed it down to WA. I deleted/changed all my full CPU scan auras and just a general cleaning.

Even after doing that, I am still getting terrible lag no matter what WAs I have active. I watch the memory usage go from 6 mb and slowly ramps up to as high as 40 mb and then reset to 6 mb. During this time I am at 50 FPS in heroic 25 man raiding on max setting BUT I get little stutters ever second which makes it look like I'm getting 5 FPS.

Any idea what is causing this?

Well probably Weak Auras.

My best guess would be specific auras.
    Something sounds really dodgy for memory usage to increase like that.
    Perhaps disabling a few auras if it is realistic to do so, using other addons as alternatives to pin down the culprit or posting the exports on Pastebin so that people can look at them.

Do you have the option to see lua errors enabled? Usually if that happens to me it's because I have an aura that's causing a ton of lua errors for some reason. Could probably narrow down which auras are causing the issue from the errors.

Deleted
    I had the same issue.
    So I went to an old raid, and entered combat to do some test and find the issue.
    After loading each of my shaman group individually, I noticed it came from a dynamic group displaying some cooldowns and notification for when actions are available, with a few sounds and animations. Not loading this group (check never in tab "load"), I could raid without any fps issues (some small fps drop in the end of ToT lfr, but not unplayable, probably because of bad graphic card).
    Need to do some more testing to see if it came from one single aura or from the whole group though, but at least my UI is now filling my needs.

You probably won't notice any lag while soloing an old raid, but you can check memory usage, it seems like it's a good indicator of Weak Aura not working well. It seems like when it works ok, memory usage is the same in and out of combat. Otherwise it will increase by more than 1mb after a few doing a few actions in combat (and much more if you're in a full 25m raid).

Someone suggested to not load Weak Aura Options, but it didn't change anything in my cases.

This is going to sound really straightforward, but also make sure you do a /reload when you're done checking out/editing your auras. In my experience, it greatly speeds up performance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoroth View Post
    This is going to sound really straightforward, but also make sure you do a /reload when you're done checking out/editing your auras. In my experience, it greatly speeds up performance.
    WeakAuras is made of 2 addons, WeakAuras and WeakAuras Options, and it's the Options-plugin that is the gushing wound. Luckily it's load-on-demand, ie. it only loads when you type /wa.
    Get a habit of reloading after every WeakAuras tweaking.

Other than that, cleanup time!
    I don't know if it has any impact, but try making sure that your class-specific auras only load on that class.
    Might be placebo, but I think it made a small difference when I didn't have my hunter and warrior auras loading on my mage alt.
    Last edited by mmocdd4fd472cb; 2013-08-01 at 03:08 PM.

Also, any custom trigger weakaura that checks every frame is really CPU demanding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    Also, any custom trigger weakaura that checks every frame is really CPU demanding as well.
    Oh hey its you.

Ya I got rid of all my custom triggers and full CPU ones. I have it narrowed down to a dynamic group used to track the Usability and CD of certain abilities. I have no clue why it would come from this. They all are extremely basic auras that shouldnt have that much of an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    WeakAuras is made of 2 addons, WeakAuras and WeakAuras Options, and it's the Options-plugin that is the gushing wound. Luckily it's load-on-demand, ie. it only loads when you type /wa.
    Get a habit of reloading after every WeakAuras tweaking.

Other than that, cleanup time!
    I don't know if it has any impact, but try making sure that your class-specific auras only load on that class.
    Might be placebo, but I think it made a small difference when I didn't have my hunter and warrior auras loading on my mage alt.
    Static memory usage is not impacting on the framerate.
    Garbage collection resulting from a frequently changing use of memory could be one of the factors.
    Memory usage is a number people obsess over and rarely is a meaningful measure on its own.
    CPU usage is what will kill performance, not memory being used to hold something practically unchanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Oh hey its you.

Ya I got rid of all my custom triggers and full CPU ones. I have it narrowed down to a dynamic group used to track the Usability and CD of certain abilities. I have no clue why it would come from this. They all are extremely basic auras that shouldnt have that much of an impact.
    Oh hey you!

Ummm.. yeah, without being at your computer I couldn't tell you. Only thing I can think of is try to recreate each WA one by one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Static memory usage is not impacting on the framerate.
    Garbage collection resulting from a frequently changing use of memory could be one of the factors.
    Memory usage is a number people obsess over and rarely is a meaningful measure on its own.
    CPU usage is what will kill performance, not memory being used to hold something practically unchanging.
    So maybe it comes from the addon tracking memory usage of Weak Aura instead of Weak Aura itself ? Interesting, I need to investigate.

Also, I know memory usage is not creating lag by itself, but in my case it was a clue that weak aura might be the problem, as my UI doesn't display CPU usage.

Seems like in both cases it was due to the same kind of auras. Really needs to do some more testing...