Thread: Endless BGs

Endless BGs

Would having a BG similar to the BGs in Dark Age of Camelot work for WoW? Where there are no queue times and no limit to the number of players nor a time limit before it ends. Where you just show up, join a group, and roam around slaughtering everyone you saw for as long as you wanted. Also there were pretty much no objectives other than take the Keep in the middle of the map. After your side controls it you just roam around killing people. Could increase the Honor gained for controlling the Keep to give people incentives to control and keep it. The number of people can easily be kept low by having many different instances of the BG so they dont have so many people they crash. Like maybe a 100 per side maximum.

This is basically what TM/SS battles were back in the day. I spent hours every night in those fights and it rarely got old. Eventually one side would overpower the other, storm their town and kill everything. At that point most people would disperse for awhile, things would quiet down and then it would all start over.

Honestly the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornainbow View Post
    This is basically what TM/SS battles were back in the day. I spent hours every night in those fights and it rarely got old. Eventually one side would overpower the other, storm their town and kill everything. At that point most people would disperse for awhile, things would quiet down and then it would all start over.

Honestly the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

The DAoC ones were just like that. Having 100+ people in Thid fighting against each other was just epic. Also with so many people concentrating on the main fight it was so easy for another group to flank the enemy and turn the tide of the fight. Rolling with an AoE heavy group with support classes with AoE stun or Mez was just epic.

To me that sounds like it is similar to the old AV battleground when there were no reinforcements. The only difference was there was not alot of roaming around the longer the game progressed. One side would push the other side into their main base causing a bottle neck. Would end with hours of battling in a small location. The only problem I would see with having the player count uncapped would be lag. I would however like a BG with a large number of people play out like being a king of the hill style, like you mentioned controlling a keep in the middle. Or make it a world event kind of like halaa in burning crusade. Make people want to control it so they get their zone wide buff

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsupreme View Post
    The only problem I would see with having the player count uncapped would be lag.
    DAoC was released in 2001. If terrible PCs, horrible internet speeds, and probably game servers that were just as bad back then could handle up to 500 person battles shouldnt modern PCs and hardware be able to handle it a helluva lot easier?

15+ Year Old Account
    I would not mind an endless Wintergrasp.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    DAoC was released in 2001. If terrible PCs, horrible internet speeds, and probably game servers that were just as bad back then could handle up to 500 person battles shouldnt modern PCs and hardware be able to handle it a helluva lot easier?
    I know on my realm when you have 2-3 raid groups rushing into a major city to control the auction house; it becomes very difficult to do anything in the city due to all the aoe spells going off at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsupreme View Post
    I know on my realm when you have 2-3 raid groups rushing into a major city to control the auction house; it becomes very difficult to do anything in the city due to all the aoe spells going off at once.
    Other games have added a show only your spell effects options or even one to disable every spell effect. Certainly the king of MMOs can add a simple feature like that if lowly Everquest could.

Knight Online had this same concept. Open pvp zone where you can grind mobs, level, and have hours and hours of pvp fun. just run round and round open zone where both sides can run back and forth killing all in the path. they also have mini bosses that drop good decent gear like rings and necks at a low 20-30% at random hours and random spawn time and points. so avoids ppl camping but keeps ppl playing in there. maybe also do a ladder board like they die every 30 days it resets but top 3 players on both sides gets a reward at end of the contest.

Quote Originally Posted by hoots View Post
    Knight Online had this same concept. Open pvp zone where you can grind mobs, level, and have hours and hours of pvp fun. just run round and round open zone where both sides can run back and forth killing all in the path. they also have mini bosses that drop good decent gear like rings and necks at a low 20-30% at random hours and random spawn time and points. so avoids ppl camping but keeps ppl playing in there. maybe also do a ladder board like they die every 30 days it resets but top 3 players on both sides gets a reward at end of the contest.
    yea the BGs in DAoC had the best EXP in the game because of Risk vs Reward. The Risk was huge cause lots of times I was grinding mobs only to get steamrolled by 6 people. But at the same time the reward was great and you leveled extremely fast. Also people knew where each sides EXP spots were so it was always a great place to find action either ganking EXPers or killing other groups that know you will be out killing them so they look for you to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    yea the BGs in DAoC had the best EXP in the game because of Risk vs Reward. The Risk was huge cause lots of times I was grinding mobs only to get steamrolled by 6 people. But at the same time the reward was great and you leveled extremely fast. Also people knew where each sides EXP spots were so it was always a great place to find action either ganking EXPers or killing other groups that know you will be out killing them so they look for you to kill.
    Oh hell ya i loved in Knight online i was a 62 battle priest healing my party and a raid of the other side would storm in and we had to have a fat running battle to kill them off and keep our xp going and there was always ppl out there never was it empty. the mini bosses at random times kept the ppl wanting to always be runing around out there.