Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you take it seriously, but have fun?

So this is a little different and unbelievably hard for me to understand. In WoW when I raid, even in LFR (most of the time) I take it seriously. I try to do my best, but my fun is from doing my "rotation" or trying to heal people as soon as possible while keeping my mana up.

In league, this stands little different in my eyes. I'm trying to take it seriously, but also have fun, but my fun comes from winning, from playing with my friends & doing well. Its in that though, when we don't do well, when we don't win, the fun factor goes down the tube for me. Now I don't expect to win every single game, but when you lose a few games I'm curious how people have the incentive to continue playing competitively while having fun.

This is a 100% serious question, I'm completely boggled. Maybe I'm missing something completely obvious, but I have no clue.

Honestly, the best way to take it seriously enough to do well and still have fun is to surround yourself with not only players as good or better than you, but also that have a like mind. Easier said than done.

Otherwise, though, you'll always be dissapointed. If you try to just have fun and not worry about anything your true self will come out at some point and you'll be frustrated with people holding you back. If you choose to take it so seriously that you don't laugh, joke and enjoy the content and other people then you're missing the boat also.

It's a delicate balance that's hard to achieve. One of relaxation and exertion, but if you're not surrounded by like-minded people of roughly your same skill level it's difficult.

This is something I've been trying to figure out so I can share the tips. My friend described me as a "natural pot smoker" as I can take the game seriously but never care if we lose. I think it comes from playing a game that you could kill other players and take their stuff when they died. It creates a lot of adrenaline as you can lose something you've put a ton of time into in 4 mins, but get the same in reward. League and what not just don't create this adrenaline so it just feels very calm and natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Acry View Post
    This is something I've been trying to figure out so I can share the tips. My friend described me as a "natural pot smoker" as I can take the game seriously but never care if we lose. I think it comes from playing a game that you could kill other players and take their stuff when they died. It creates a lot of adrenaline as you can lose something you've put a ton of time into in 4 mins, but get the same in reward. League and what not just don't create this adrenaline so it just feels very calm and natural.
    How do you control the adrenaline? I personally haven't had an adrenaline rush in a few months now and I get them so rarely when one comes up I don't really think about it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    How do you control the adrenaline? I personally haven't had an adrenaline rush in a few months now and I get them so rarely when one comes up I don't really think about it much.
    Only happens when I played that game, haven't played the game in months. I just don't get that intense competitive feeling that some get from playing league. My friend gets mad over aram/normals over the slightest things and it's sometimes embarrassing lol

Focus on your own play, when the games spiral to a point where you cannot personally change the outcome of the game. Look back, think about what you could do different, and just play with disregard for the current game. Try new items, do crazy stuff, as long as you're not in ranked or something. You'll learn more about the game and when your losing it wont seem so bad.

Example, once I was playing kennen with friends, wrecked my lane but my newish friend playing draven fed vayne 15 kills in 20 minutes. I figured the game was over, so I buil hybrid attack speed/ap items and it was hilariously effective. Ended up split pushing my lane for the win!
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to take it seriously, but also have fun, but my fun comes from winning, from playing with my friends & doing well.
    Simply put, I just ignore my losses if I'm losing a reasonable amount of the time (50%). You can have fun from winning, but understanding that you can't win all the time, means that you're not going to have fun all the time. Instead, just enjoy doing your best regardless of outcome.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Simply put you just have to learn to ignore the bad times, or at least not let them get to you. LoL by it's nature is a game focused on winning and losing, and losing is never perceived to be a good thing. You're either affected by it or you're not. Raiding in WoW on the other hand isn't about winning vs losing. Since you can try (and see improvements) over and over, you never lose, you just get closer and closer to "winning". Then once you've won, you get to do it next week and see how much better you are than you were last week.

Essentially, you're only moving up in WoW, but you can go pretty low in LoL.

You shouldn't compare it to raiding in wow, but more to arena's in wow.
    Invest time into it and you will become better and gain rating, but if you can't stand losing (because you -will- have bad days/teams) league of legends is not the game for you.

I was up for promotion to gold once, but I got on a losing streak where I lost 10+ games in a row. From that I dropped back down to silver 4.
    Yet I still enjoyed playing, mostly because I like the genre.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

It helps me, a little, to stomp a quick bot game at the start of each day for my daily win. I play very casually, but it takes off a small amount of pressure if you're not thinking "man, it's taking forever to get my first win of the day" in addition to everything else.

My fun comes from playing with friends and learning. Trying to actually become better every game, and learn to last hit better, build better and all of that stuff. On the losing aspect, i dont actually mind losing, if the game has been fun. For example i played a game a few weeks back. Everyone was friendly towards each other, and no team had a clear lead during the whole game. We ended up losing the game, but it was a really fun game to play, so i didnt mind.

Deleted
    I've been raging a lot when i started playing the game but i rage much less now

try to play with friends etc.

don't play to win, play because you wanna play (unless it's ranked, then it's mostly about just winning)

a lot of normal games i just pick some champ i feel like playing and go wherever there is open, i then just mess around having fun

only supp left? hmm.. then why not pick poppy and try that out
    only top left? oh, then maybe ad ryze could be fun

i mostly try to just play whatever i feel like playing when i play normal, and i still win more than 50% of my games and rarely feed

15+ Year Old Account
    In a single word:

Beer
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Personally part of the fun for me is learning and getting better. Honestly I have had ranked teams game in which we were harming a team into the ground and we were arguing and not having a good time due to how terrible the calls and play were and how little we were learning. While on the flip side I have had games in which we were been destroyed but all in good spirits because we seen a visible improvement or because we learnt something new as a team.

To me the fun is in getting better and the learning from mistakes and the only time I do not have fun is when I or my team loose due to making mistakes we had corrected a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I lose I tend to think of the sick plays I made or parts of that losing game I did actually enjoy. Besides, I used to be in a rugby team that lost 80% of it's games so I learned it's more about playing the game then winning. Downside is that losing with your friends/team is ok, losing with a bunch of strangers is harder to swallow since there is no connection between you and the other players.

And if you're feeling down, play a dominion match with Fiora/Yi/Kassadin and steamroll the enemy team. It feels more like a game and there is less toxic behaviour.

I don't think the fun factor goes down due to losing a game nearly as much as it goes down when you make a lot of mistakes in the game. So I just focus on playing well myself, do some chatting with team mates / enemies and if we win great if not oh well.

I sometimes get it in top lane in 1v1 fights. Two bruisers bashing each other one dying one left with sliver of health.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    If my team isn't a bunch of angry douchebags raging at people for everything I can still take a loss without a problem.

Deleted
    Mix up your roles. Don't take it too seriously all the time. I myself get overly frustrated if i try hard and fail. So sometimes i go crazy strategies that seem stupid but sometimes work. If they fail you will have fun testing it. I do this mostly after losing a game, since trying right after to win hard, will get me even more frustrated in case of a loss.

Examples of crazy ideas ... Support Ashe with Crit Runes. Support Katarina with a Varus due to their synergy. Fizz jungle or Ap Aatrox. Sometimes it's just important to have fun, and to not stress no matter the result. It's all about the expectations. If you expect to have fun and see how things go, you won't be disappoined, as if you expect to dominate and image winning in a blaze of glory, you will be disappointed quite often.

Just calm your mind.
    This is why mental strength is so vital for the professional players.

Best option is to play your best role, win your lane, and when other lanes feed..... Tell them you hope they die of cancer. Worst case scenario you get banned, and you don't have to play a game that makes you angry because you get matched with scrubs constantly... Best case scenario, the scrub does actually die of cancer, or aids, or gets hit by a bus.... and it is one less kid with down syndrome playing league of legends

Deleted
    Play with buddies who'll agree to let you play your best role, simple. It's the same with monopoly, you'll have far more fun playing it with friends than strangers or an AI where you'll just get frustrated all the time unless you manage to carry the game.