Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Breakfast and before-sleep-food tips needed

So, I'm not a person who exercies a lot or has a physicly tough job, but I still find I need some ideas and tips for getting a good breakfast.
    I'm a slow starter in the mornings, and my stumach is just as slow. My stumach is also often in an open rebellion against me, due to stress and anxiety problems, and probably a side-effect of my medication as well.I have a hard time eating breakfast because while I might be hungry, I have no apetite in the morning at all.
    I do have the intention of losing a bit of weight, but not through exercise, but through eating proper and cutting away as much sugar as possible. I know a lot of breakfast foods have a lot of sugar in them. Same goes for anything else I might eat before I go to bed, the last thing I need is sugar when I want to sleep.
    My stumach is overactive, so if I eat too much before I sleep I'll wake up and... well, have trouble in the morning so to speak.

Do you have any tips for food that will keep me going until lunch and what foods that are good before I go to bed, without being full of sugar and at the same time gentle to my stumach?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sandwiches don't have sugar... I'm guessing US breakfasts differ from EU ones. Start small is all I can say.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

What I found works great is this: 4-5 tablespoons of 2% fat yoghurt (I think the one I'm using you guys call Greek yoghurt), and 2 tablespoons quaker oats. Add honey if you want (I like the taste of yoghurt so I personally don't).
    It keeps me going through my workouts, is easy for my stomach and delicious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Sandwiches don't have sugar... I'm guessing US breakfasts differ from EU ones. Start small is all I can say.
    Bread actually does have sugar.

To cut away weight by not eating certain things you would have to avoid legumes, grains and sugar mostly.

You can eat whatever you want in terms of fish, meat, dairy products, just make sure there's little sugar in it, and use olive oil to cook.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Depends on what bread you're eating. I'm not big on bread, I don't know why. The only bread I really like is the homebaked. Though I sadly don't have the energy to bake bread that often.

yoghurt

or just brown bread (not the white bullshit) with cheese, tomato and cucumber orso. Thats a healthy breakfast

or scrap the cheese because thats makes u fat

I can eat anything i want without gaining a single pound, so im not that focussed on it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    What I found works great is this: 4-5 tablespoons of 2% fat yoghurt (I think the one I'm using you guys call Greek yoghurt), and 2 tablespoons quaker oats. Add honey if you want (I like the taste of yoghurt so I personally don't).
    It keeps me going through my workouts, is easy for my stomach and delicious.

Yeah I like yoghurt as well. I'll see what I can find.

Hmm when I was cutting weight, I found eating a nice breakfast of egg's and sausage for some days and whole grain oatmeal other days. Always helps as it provides a good energy boost to your day, well it did for me that is. Key is to drink lots of water and no soda etc. Also have milk with that breakfast and you're set.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insarius View Post
    Bread actually does have sugar.

To cut away weight by not eating certain things you would have to avoid legumes, grains and sugar mostly.

You can eat whatever you want in terms of fish, meat, dairy products, just make sure there's little sugar in it, and use olive oil to cook.
    Some 6 months ago all I lost about 2 kilo's by simply eating and sleeping better. I want to do what I can to kill my sugar cravings (that can be very, very hard to resist) by eating foods that keep me full for longer, so I don't get those fast carb cravings.

Yeah I absolutely love food and I can eat almost anything. I'm a big fan of vegetarian foods, and I love to cook. I use rapeseed (yes it's called that) oil for cooking, it's relatively flavorless and just as good as olive oil. I try to keep away from butter and the like. So dinner is no problem. It's just breakfast and before bed that's the problem.

before bed? Try a glass of water. 9 times out of 10 that fills me up, if I'm still hungry I have yoghurt or a slice of toast. For breakfast fruit (apples, oranges, pears, grapes, etc etc) and toast do me well too.

10+ Year Old Account
    "When I wake up, first thing I do... Eggs!" Words to live by (skip to 0:44 if your incredibly impatient).

As for before bed, a glass of milk.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Hmm when I was cutting weight, I found eating a nice breakfast of egg's and sausage for some days and whole grain oatmeal other days. Always helps as it provides a good energy boost to your day, well it did for me that is. Key is to drink lots of water and no soda etc. Also have milk with that breakfast and you're set.
    He/she has trouble eating in the morning and you suggest eating sausages and eggs? lol...

Deleted
    You could try a banana, a glass of water/milk and maybe some yoghurt before going to sleep.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Foods-Sleep-121918
    http://allfall.blogspot.nl/2005/08/b...atonin-as.html

You don't really have to pay attention to the part about glycemic index, unless you're diabetic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well if you have problems with eating in the morning just dont do it. It might be abit harsh in the start, but your body quickly adapt to new eating patterns.

I use Intermittent fasting and eat all my daily food between 12:00-18:00 and I have never felt better.

Just a suggestion from a person that never liked breakfast.

Deleted
    Sandwiches don't have sugar
    Bread contains carbohydrates which your body converts pretty much directly into suger. The more you know.

To the OP, the main thing is just make sure your diet (unlike WoW) is balanced. It is just fine to eat a cake or a burger as long as it is part of a balanced diet. Watch things that you eat in excess. For example I know I drink to much coffee =p I know but ill live with it.

You said your stomach is a slow starter well certainly don't go for a big breakfast. I would sugest cereal (not the type with lots of suger either) maybe some fruit also. I like to have shredded wheat with banana on top =)

As for food before sleep, you should not be doing that. Eat your evening meal and thats it. Give your stomach a chance to digest what it has then let it have a rest until breakfast.

The only large meal you should have in a day is your evening meal, having a large breakfast will just slow you down. Your groggy as it is and digesting food takes a fair bit of energy on its own which is why after a big meal you feel tired (depending what you eat OC).
    Last edited by mmoca82c8168af; 2013-08-05 at 12:51 PM.

What I usually do is either precook some potatoes in a pan with some olive oil before i go to bed and put em in the fridge and just scramble some eggs in the morning or make my own super hearty pancake mix ahead of time. I take WHOLE OATS, egg whites, whole eggs, a little milk, and peanut butter and blend it. a ratio that works for me is 1 cup of oats, quarter of milk and egg whites, two eggs, and 2 tbs of peanut butter. Make the mix ahead of time and you'll have plenty of carbs proteins and fats. As far as before bed I typically have just some cottage cheese.

Deleted
    Before sleeping take 500ml of lean soft curd cheese. We call it Kwark over here (dairy product). Alot of people dont know sleeping is a catabolic process, it's a muscle breakdown stage because your body stays active, but like most people you dont eat past 9pm so ur body will lack the calories to burn resulting in muscle breakdown. the 500ml soft curd cheese will give you around 50g of casseine to use during the night time, resulting in little to no muscle loss during the catabolic process.

In the morning: dark bread (the darker the better) with a few slices of chicken filet and a few boiled eggs. Slap on some lowfat mayo and take it to town.
    Personally, i wake up with oatmeal (low fat milk), a wheyshake and a banana which lasts me untill 12.

Deleted
    Well, mostly it's just a thing about rutine, if your not used to eating a decent meal in the morning, you might have a hard time getting stuff down as you describe, in most cases it is just a matter of forcing yourself to eat something for a while and get used to it. Also, make something tasty, in my personal opinion nothing is worse than waking up to some boring food, a great breakfast is a great way to start the day.

For example, I really hate oats. I consider it the most bland food to eat. However, it fills me up and keeps me going, so I do a like protein bar recipe that i eat in the morning. 50grams of Oats, 30 grams whey protein (could be replaced by cacao powder i guess), 20 grams of peanut butter and a very little amount of milk. Its a great morning snack with a healthy nutritional profile.

Also, eggs. Eggs are so easy to make, fast and tastes delicious and goes great alongside other things. Eggs on a piece of rye-bread topped with salsa is also a tasty way to start the day.

There are lots of things to make and its about finding what suits you. But as mentioned, eating at morning is merely a question about rutine, force yourself for a few days and you'll automaticly feel the need for it.

Just eat lots of plain greek yogurt(the kind with no fruit or flavoring added)

One of the best super-foods you can eat at any time of the day.

EDIT: greek.. not green.
    Last edited by obnoxiouslol; 2013-08-19 at 01:37 AM.

I've lost about 30 pounds this year by simply switching to oatmeal for breakfast instead of cereal and milk, and really cutting down on food after dinner. I add a banana and some dried blueberries to it and call it good. Though I do have to credit my stomach and abdominal problems a bit (nearly six months and the docs are still clueless.)

One of the diets recommended for those having stomach problems is called BRAT: Bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast. Bread isn't the best of things, but it's still fairly decent especially if you can get some that's more nutrient-rich than the typical white crap.

I've found having an apple with some peanut butter makes for a great snack.

Make sure you're getting enough water too. At least half a gallon a day is what doctors recommend. The way I took care of this for myself was just use a half gallon apple juice container, fill it with water, and pour some into a cup you have at your desk or something. The reason to pour from it instead of drink directly is drinking it from the half gallon will eventually get a bacteria buildup if you don't wash it (and since washing half gallon jugs is a bit annoying, I just use a cup to pour into). Using a cup can also give you a better idea of how much you're actually getting and how often. I hardly even think about it anymore it's so easy to do.

@Obnoxious above: It's Greek yogurt, not green. Don't eat green yogurt unless it's actually meant to be like that (such as with the key lime pie flavor or similar).
    Last edited by Jackielope; 2013-08-19 at 01:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder