Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Whole Wheat Bread VS White Bread

I gotta say, after trying whole wheat bread several times I just cant get myself to like it. I dont know if its the color, or the different taste. I know Whole Wheat is healthier because there are more nutrients, but you can get white bread that has the flour enriched (nutrients added back in). Some people actually say White bread is BAD for you but I couldnt seem to find a reference that says why. I can understand whole wheat being more nutritious, but why would white bread actually be BAD for you.

Oh my goodness I love whole wheat bread. I think it looks better and tastes better than white to me. It makes my sandwiches just look better and taste better for me. Mmmm damn now I want a sandwich.

Im not sure why white bread is "bad" for you. Ive always heard that but Im not sure why. Whole wheat all the way!

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally prefer white bread, but wheat bread with more chunky grains in it can be quite good. That weak ass standard sandwich wheat bread sucks ass though.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the breads really. A lot of "white bread" is just starch, with no real nutritional value. But without knowing WHAT whole wheat bread you tried, I can't really comment.

I like a lot of the different varieties from Daves Killer Bread. http://www.daveskillerbread.com/
    As well as Oroweat. http://oroweat.com/
    Both of which my local Safeway carries.

By comparison, I find most white breads to be flavorless.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I always prefer whole wheat bread. I can eat a good "white" bread like a sourdough, but normal white sandwich bread lacks any flavor imo.

Deleted
    I googled "why is white bread bad for you" and this was the first link:

http://janicewhite.hubpages.com/hub/...is-bad-for-you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Depends on the breads really. A lot of "white bread" is just starch, with no real nutritional value. But without knowing WHAT whole wheat bread you tried, I can't really comment.

I like a lot of the different varieties from Daves Killer Bread. http://www.daveskillerbread.com/
    As well as Oroweat. http://oroweat.com/
    Both of which my local Safeway carries.

By comparison, I find most white breads to be flavorless.
    I tried Arnold Whole Grain Double Fiber bread. It was one of the few that doesnt have HFCS in it and I try to avoid HFCS when possible. It looks like this.

I rarely eat foods with a lot of fiber so I thought I would try it. Its really dense (most good bread is) but soft. Im sure many people love it, but perhaps because Im now 40 and never had anything other than white bread my whole life (Grandma used to make homemade white bread for us as kids). Perhaps its just a mental thing that it looks different.

Oh and when I buy regular white bread its usually Arnold Country white. I see many other kinds of wheat breads, and each one seems like it would be grainier and grainier and by the time I look at the 12 grain breads and sprouted breads, they dont even look like bread anymore. They look more like a cake or something
    Last edited by Orlong; 2013-08-05 at 10:13 PM.

Deleted
    Uhhh white Bread thats like chewing cardboard and mosts Breads that are packed in Plastic Bags dont taste good they are too fluffy no crunchy crust.

I had my fair share of Toast but i think i will never eat it again. Recently i eat rolls with poppy or pumpkin seeds every 2nd day.
    (They look similar to that http://theinversecook.wordpress.com/...in-seed-rolls/ only that i can just buy them)
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-08-05 at 10:16 PM.

Deleted
    The only sorts of bread I like that are brown are those that have seeds in them. In Britain, those would include Kingsmill Granary/Seed Sensations and a brand of bread known as Bergen, whose loaves are unfortunately pretty small, although the bread tastes great.

Doesn't get any better than homemade bread though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheat is fine for sandwiches, but putting peanut butter on it, and I might as well just vomit it right back up.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-08-05 at 10:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I tried Arnold Whole Grain Double Fiber bread. It was one of the few that doesnt have HFCS in it and I try to avoid HFCS when possible. It looks like this.
    That looks more like a dietary supplement then something you would eat for flavor.

This is the stuff I like. Tasted with butter and honey... nummy.

http://www.daveskillerbread.com/kill...ower-seed.html

Less fiber then what you listed, but I'm willing to bet it tastes better. Just be warned, it has no preservatives so you have to eat it fast...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Honestly neither of them is good for you. Both are made with flour. Flour is basically the starch equivalent of sugar. Most whole wheat flour has a near identical glycemic load as regular old flour.

Breads promote heavy insulin secretion, and with the level of metabolic syndromes in developed countries, more starch is not better. If you are gonna eat bread, I am of the opinion you should eat whatever you want. Its all the same anyways. Even Lucky Charms is vitamin fortified nowadays.

Well a lot of white bread is just "fast" carbohydrates, but if you wanna be healthy you really want "slow" carbohydrates. What fast carbs does is that it will make your blood sugar rise and then fall really fast as your body will respond with a lot of insulin(same thing happens when you eat candy, drink a soda, anything with fast carbs only). While slow carbs will have a much slower curve which is a lot better for you as your body will release insulin at gentler rate.

I'm a diabetic and as rule of thumb I think of most white food as fast carbs(white bread, flour, sugar, pasta, rice, milk) and I always have to take a lot more insulin to cover that kinda of food.
    What I try to do if I have to eat fast carbs is to eat something fatty or with lots of fibers together with it as that will slow down the rising blood sugar a bit!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Thats real Bread except for the flat things :X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    I googled "why is white bread bad for you" and this was the first link:

http://janicewhite.hubpages.com/hub/...is-bad-for-you
    I actually read that earlier, but perhaps I read it too fast. What I got from it was different reasons why its better to eat whole wheat, but I didnt see anything like eating white bread is harmful because it causes cancer, or hair loss, or impotence, or anything like that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    What is fine for sandwiches, but putting peanut butter on it, and I might as well just vomit it right back up.
    I don't know if it's just me, but that didn't make a lick of sense.

I prefer white. However, I never eat it just in bread form, I always, always toast it. Or grill it ala grilled cheese sandwiches. I have no issues with wheat, but the problem is, the cheap shit is about as good for you as white bread is. I very rarely eat sandwich-style bread (I prefer sourdoughs and french bread and stuff) so I rarely buy a loaf of it. Paying ~$1 for a loaf of white bread vs ~$3 for a loaf of wheat bread isn't that much of a problem since I don't do it but maybe twice a year lol.

It does depend entirely on which you get. Dave's Killer Bread is some of the best shit I've ever had (and the price reflects that lol). If you just get some generic brand of wheat bread, it really doesn't have much more in it than white bread, and usually costs more.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2013-08-05 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Uhhh white Bread thats like chewing cardboard and mosts Breads that are packed in Plastic Bags dont taste good they are too fluffy no crunchy crust.

I had my fair share of Toast but i think i will never eat it again. Recently i eat rolls with poppy or pumpkin seeds every 2nd day.
    (They look similar to that http://theinversecook.wordpress.com/...in-seed-rolls/ only that i can just buy them)
    See, those I dont think I would even try because of all the seeds. I like poppy seeds and sesame seeds, but not those seeds of grain or whatever they are like in Rye Bread. I tried rye once and gagged, plus the seeds got stuck between my teeth

Deleted
    I enjoy almost every type of bread out there, but I get bored quickly.

I just finished a white bread sandwich. In a fortnight I will probably buy a loaf of fresh whole wheat from the local bakery and after that something with a few more seeds before returning to white then possibly half and half.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    That looks more like a dietary supplement then something you would eat for flavor.

This is the stuff I like. Tasted with butter and honey... nummy.

Less fiber then what you listed, but I'm willing to bet it tastes better. Just be warned, it has no preservatives so you have to eat it fast...
    Yeah, we dont have Daves bread on the East coast, if we do it might be in some healthy food store but would probably be frozen like they do with Ezekial bread and I hate any bread that was previously frozen. Also it would probably be like 7 bucks a loaf. I try to keep bread under $5 per loaf