[Destruction] When should a warlock change from Destro to another spec?

Pretty much what the title entails. Bare in mind I only do LFRs and Heroic Scenarios, I've tried the other two specs and feel that with my current ilevel Destruction excels more than the others. I do not have access nor time to do real raiding so my gear will pretty much be stuck with LFR and such, was just wondering when Destro wouldn't be excelling due to gear scaling. Any help is most appreciative.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been wondering about this too. AFAIK when you get UVLS (trinket from lei shen) you should go demo but I found that the numbers I could pull were dramatically low for ilvl 495. With Destruction I can pull about 100-110k sustained while demonology falls behind to 55kish.

But that might be my inability to play that spec though. I haven't really read up on demo as I did with destro so I was just doing random shit. I wonder if I could put up a better number with the right rotation and all?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    I've been wondering about this too. AFAIK when you get UVLS (trinket from lei shen) you should go demo but I found that the numbers I could pull were dramatically low for ilvl 495. With Destruction I can pull about 100-110k sustained while demonology falls behind to 55kish.

But that might be my inability to play that spec though. I haven't really read up on demo as I did with destro so I was just doing random shit. I wonder if I could put up a better number with the right rotation and all?

I've properly tried the rotation and personally I don't find it fun at all, I love destruction you feel like you're incinerating them alive it's awesome plus the self heal is a huge survival tool. But I don't want to fall too far behind in the charts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I run destruction as my main spec. I can easily top the damage meter on multiple mob trash pulls, however on single target bosses the affliction lock generally beats me. He does have better gear than mine but I am not sure if that is the only reason he is beating me or if it is the abilities of affliction. My ilvl is 522 his is 530, we run 25man normal ToT each week and are 1/12 on heroic 25man. I am going to try out affliction this week for the boss fights and see if I can figure it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    When should one switch from destro spec? when he gets bored of it, simple.

I have heard you should do it when you have the Legendary Meta gem and Lei Shen's trinket. But its been a while since i played my lock so dont take my word on it

Quote Originally Posted by balthauz View Post
    Pretty much what the title entails. Bare in mind I only do LFRs and Heroic Scenarios, I've tried the other two specs and feel that with my current ilevel Destruction excels more than the others. I do not have access nor time to do real raiding so my gear will pretty much be stuck with LFR and such, was just wondering when Destro wouldn't be excelling due to gear scaling. Any help is most appreciative.
    Once you start getting a few pieces of Heroic ToT gear w/ Meta then Demo/Aff start to break even with Destro.

It won't be a concern for you for a while if all you do is LFR/HScens. For HScens you're probably best off being Destro anyway, even at high ilevels.

Deleted
    If you only do LFR and scenario's you might as well stay destruction. Aff/Demo pull ahead in heroic gear, but as long as you don't get anything like that destruction is fine.

Pretty much UVLS carries demo and makes it stronger than destro. (the legendary meta does to but to a lesser degree)

The legendary meta does the same carrying for affliction in regards to it competing vs destro.

Item level wise somewhere past 522 and before 535 typically. However on some fights mechanics trump general rules though in many of those cases demo or aff can do destro's job just as well (eg walls on h.durumu or aff on primordius).

at 547 demo pulls way more then destru in single target fights like lei shen hc
    so i'd say you have to change to another spec when you realy need the dps :P

most fights are so much more relaxed as destru . it's like .. oh aoe .. meh shield will absorb it .. oh low hp .. imp selfheal on, ember tap .. boom full again.
    if i ever get uvls i'd probably have to stick do demo anyway for most fights.

Deleted
    Before patch 5.4

When you get meta gem/UVLS or break 520 ilevel

Honestly if your just doing LFR and scenarios, it really does not matter. Its completely a choice. Even me raiding normal am destruction because i enjoy it, and i still do great dps. I might do more as affliction and i like aff enough to swap back and forth occassionally but its my choice.

Heroic raids might be a different story, but then your playing not really to have fun with what you like, but to 'win'.

better get used to demo/affli untill you have a choice
    5.4 will be disgusting, if we dont get kinda refund for decreased mobilty and RoF-Ember-reg

Personally i like plating destro in scenarios and otherwise outside raiding.
    Thats because i love to pull big (often too big) and if i did not have ember tap, i would die a few hundred times more than i have.
    This is even when i usually do more dmg as demo.
    I like to trade the lower dmg for the safe-heal of ember tap, though thinks are looking "interesting" for 5.4.

Personally I made the changes based off UVLS > Changed mainspec from destro to demo, still offspecing destro for some fights.
    Gained Legendary meta gem > changed my offspec from destro to affi.

Not to say you can't play these specs without them, but they made the big, noticeable jumps in my dps.

*However* When I go to do my HScen vp capping, I go and respec destro... blood tap op.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2013-08-07 at 07:02 AM.