Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Should Racials Be Removed?

The topic of racials has been discussed over the years to a great extent and after some research I have compiled the main advantages and disadvantages of the removal of this core part of the game into one thread:

Advantages

• Creation of an even playing field in terms of PvE and PvP
    • Makes race choice purely cosmetic
    • Wider race representation - positive effect on RP

Disadvantages

• Race choice (GC apparently stated this on the official forums) may become uninteresting
    • Could also have a negative impact on RP (removal of race defining abilities) i.e. Removal of stoneform takes part of the dwarves potential stone-skin origins away
    • Removal of a long term, core, part of the game - may annoy some old timers or new players alike

My overall thoughts are that racials should be revamped to be purely cosmetic. This way race uniqueness is retained whilst ridding some of the current in-game (potentially unfair) advantages i.e. Humans EMFH in PvP.

Then again, Blizzard makes far too much cash from race changes based upon the players desire to min-max either their performance in PvE or PvP. Why would they ever remove or change the current racial situation?

What would you like to see done with racials? Would you completely revamp the system or leave them be?

I think the real problems about racials are "Will of the Forsaken" and "Every Man for Himself". Remove'em and give other racials to forsaken/humans, problem solved. Racials are okay if they're balanced and not gamebreaking.

Deleted
    I think the real problems about racials are "Will of the Forsaken" and "Every Man for Himself"
    This is certainly true in terms of PvP. Looking at the troll and orc racials also shows a great impact upon PvE.

its just humans racial thats imba in pvp, because they can use 2 trinkets, pve doesnt matter

Deleted
    pve doesnt matter
    The human racial is still very useful in PvE. I can't count how many times I have used EMFH in a PvE situation.

yes
    swtor did them correctly. they were purely cosmetic that copied another spell but had a different effect/animation

15+ Year Old Account
    Nah that'd be racist, joking aside though, they should just leave them and buff/nerf when needed, as they do with every spell and buff in game. They're not my favorite kind of racials in an RPG/MMO, but they work in me hardly caring about them when picking what to play.

Yeah, they should only be cosmetic.

They should, and GC seems to agree, but it seems his hands are tied due to the race change revenue =( They could at least bring the Troll racial in line. Huge outlier at the moment for Fire. All the beast bosses this past tier just made it worse. In T16 there's two 2 FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Eraclito View Post
    I think the real problems about racials are "Will of the Forsaken" and "Every Man for Himself". Remove'em and give other racials to forsaken/humans, problem solved. Racials are okay if they're balanced and not gamebreaking.
    Now I would argue that the Undead have shit racials, because I don't PVP, I want something useful like more expertise or a nice cd or something.

Agreed with the general consensus of the thread. Racials would be much better if they were all cosmetic.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Deleted
    Keep all of the racials, but make them cosmetic. You will never balance them otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support racials being removed. I find they simply add another layer of imbalance to the game that isn't even mandatory to the game. I would get behind cosmetic racials though that don't imbalance the game.

I don't feel like they should be taken out entirely or changed to cosmetic but instead buff or nerf them when needed, it adds a bit more thinking when it comes down to making a character and it adds something to the game with figuring which race goes with which class the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Racial benefits should be purely cosmetic.

I'd like to see them rework the existing active racials into passive chances. Give each race small chance to be immune to either fear, stun, disarm, snare, etc cast against them. That might be easier to balance and still allow for some difference between the races.

Deleted
    They could at least bring the Troll racial in line. Huge outlier at the moment for Fire. All the beast bosses this past tier just made it worse. In T16 there's two 2 FYI.
    The troll racial does seem to be very OP in terms of PvE Dps right now. Making everything cosmetic would provide an instant fix to everything though.

As I said though, Blizzard won't do it due to the money they make from it.

I'd like cosmetic racials, please.

Either that or allowing people to select which racial ability they want from a common pool, with only the names and spell effects being different. So Humans could get Every Man For Himself and Orcs could get an ability called "Stubborness" that did the same thing.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Long-term Blizzard can probably lose many more subscribers due to racial imbalance, because of the faction imbalance it also produces.

Racial abilities are never balanced when they affect performance so it seems very sensible that they should not. The objections that Ghostcrawler and some others have to actually doing it are so minor that I almost don't even understand it. If they actually them all cosmetic, I'm sure even the most whiny players of this game would get over it very quickly.