Poll: Should LFD ever been implemented?

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Because its pretty much unconstructive and doesn't support or deny the issue with any points. Pretty much this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykzAyISnNk

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    How is it rude? If you don't like a game, don't play it. If you don't like a restaurant, go to a different restaurant. If you don't like Walmart, go to a different store. If you don't like Tom Cruise, don't watch Tom Cruise movies.

Seems pretty common sense to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course people leave WoW to play casual games. Like GW2. Or they leave WoW to mess around in F2P versions of SWTOR or Rift. Maybe F2P LOTRO. F2P DCUO? F2P Aion or Tera?

Where are there non-casual games that people are leaving WoW for?

Look around you. The tedious grindy MMOs of the past are dead because nobody wants to play with those stupid old conventions like taking hours to find a group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    Of course. Including the new players.
    The new players are supposed to wander off, meet a guy killing a boar, talk to him, meet another and go to rfc together. This is what new players SHOULD do in a game that wants to keep new players.
    As it stands now, after starting a new char in a different realm, I can happily say this is the most tedious levelling system I have key in any game so far.
    Really if you're a new player why would you want to play wow in this form? Wow is reduced to a rush to max level so you can... I don't know do more tedious stuff...
    Suits an old player that knows the game but why on earth would a new player stick to it?

- - - Updated - - -

Wasting hours on the forced socialization of finding a stupid dungeon group is definitely not casual.
    Do you actually read the stuff you write? Why the fuck are you playing a MMORPG if you think talking to people is FORCED SOCIALIZATION and NOT CASUAL?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeethi View Post
    Without it ever being implemented, things would have been great! Gear found out in the world would suddenly be worth something! You wouldn't dungeon your way to level 90, you would actually do some quests. You would have to do other stuff to get gear instead of just running the same instances over and over and over for the chance of gear that's waaay better than the gear you obtain in other ways.
    But than it wouldn't be "efficient" enough. And than there might be some "forced socialization".

Quote Originally Posted by Testaxc View Post
    Because its pretty much unconstructive and doesn't support or deny the issue with any points.
    I would think yet another thread on MMO-C whining about LFD is already the very essence of non-constructive.

I'm not sure how you support or deny an issue that comes down to personal taste. You have different tastes than I do. I play a game that suits my taste, you should play a game that suits your's. I don't waste time trying to convince you why your taste is wrong and I'm right. Maybe I'm just weird that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post

Do you actually read the stuff you write? Why the fuck are you playing a MMORPG if you think talking to people is FORCED SOCIALIZATION and NOT CASUAL?
    I like playing a game where I can choose how much I wish to socialize. I also like playing a game where I don't need to block off hours of time just to do something. It's kind of weird how riled up you're getting because my personal tastes are different from your's.

Well considering the servers I am currently active on I am more then happy that LFD exists.

Sunstrider EU - Total amount of characters = 52152, Horde = 41731, Alliance = 10313. (lvl 90s - Horde = 8139, Alliance = 889)(On horde)
    Draenor EU - Total amount of characters = 154478, Horde = 114996, Alliance = 38583. (lvl 90s - Horde = 33495, Alliance = 6507)(On alliance)

So sad to see Sunstrider with so few characters there.

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasting hours on the forced socialization of finding a stupid dungeon group is definitely not casual.
    Or forced socialization in a raiding guild with assholes..

- - - Updated - - -

I like playing a game where I can choose how much I wish to socialize. I also like playing a game where I don't need to block off hours of time just to do something. It's kind of weird how riled up you're getting because my personal tastes are different from your's.
    In other words you are ACTUALLY social with people, like by choice and organically not just forced to be social to get any entertainment value out of the game. I get the feeling people who don't understand are actually not very social and in fact need the conventions and systems that existed in the past to make friends or really sycophants.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    People who bitch and moan about having to spend hours to get a group going, before LFD, where doing it 100% wrong. People who were nice to others, helpful, not anti-social, good at their class/role had no problems finding groups.
    So much conjecture..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People who are not willing to take the less efficient path and willingly take another path that's quicker should not be complaining about it. It's hypocritical to complain about LFD/LFR while continuing to use it when there is a clear alternative not to do so. If the social aspect of the game is so valuable then they should do everything they can to enhance that at the expense of efficiency. Otherwise, it makes all of this just so much meaningless hot air.

Forced socialization will never work anyway.

Efficiency in the long run isn't exactly a fun stat in a leisure entertainment at any rate. I play to have fun, that's why it's called play. If I have more fun by being less efficient that's fine by me. At any rate, I won't complain about things that I don't have to do.

EDIT: None of this is directed at the poster I quoted. It's simply how I feel about how people should approach the social aspect of the game.
    Except that there isn't any alternative. Again, the illusion of choice. You can choose not to use the Dungeon Finder tool, but then you won't get any Valor Points. You can choose not to do Raid Finder, but with the pugging scene being dead and Normal raids requiring* a raiding guild, LFR is the only way to enter raids and get epics. You claim that there are alternatives to these anti-social features, but really there aren't.

* = not strictly requiring, but it's nigh impossible without having a spot in a raiding team.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    LFD yes

teleport and cross server NO

LFD took away the hassle of trying to form your own group, and it works well in many aspects. I remember before LFD if it was during a time when my server was slow, finding a tank or a healer that was reliable wasn't very easy. The fact that LFD pulls roles from other realms really made a difference.

The problem I have with LFD is along the lines of what many players (and some devs) are realizing about how empty rares and epics are these days. A long time ago, having rares and epics actually meant something more than "geared enough". With LFD, players can gear up in rares and epics at an exponential rate compared to before its time.

There will always be positives and negatives when it comes to a tool that Blizzard implements in the game that is intended to help players get on with their endeavors faster.

But than it wouldn't be "efficient" enough. And than there might be some "forced socialization".
    So to not invoke "forced socialization", they made it so you play a mmorpg almost like a singleplayer.. Rubbish. Last time I checked there are 5 people in a instance and like it was before the end of WoTLK, if you wanted to do a heroic, make a group and find players who also want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Social interactions are driven by the game. If the game gives people no reason to talk to each other chances are they wont.
    And what were the reasons pre LFD ?
    To complete the daily heroic.
    Forced interaction, not social interaction.
    Other people were a tool, a means to an end.

The community is choosing to be less social, choosing to communicate less despite more tools than ever to offer options.
    Interaction alone is not making it social.
    After all is not anti-social behaviour interaction also ?
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-08-08 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I would have had more fun overall despite the hassle if it wasn't. I love LFD, it is convenient and fast, but I hate what it did to the community more than I enjoy it. I had no problem back in the day going with friends to do some heroics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely not he wasn't. His experience. I and the people around me had completely different experiences.
    I konw its a long way forward now, but you said he was fundamentally wrong, you can't be fundamentally wrong about your own experience...

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember how hard it was to put a group together. If you werent in a guild it was very time consuming. LFD was right thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lack of LFD killed SWTOR.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    A lack of LFD killed SWTOR.
    Yes I am sure the reason why swtor didn't make it is the lack of lfd. Nevermind the mulitude of other major aspects that were lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    And that's the core of the issue. It's reward-driven. That needs to change and a focus on entertainment value from content, rather than their reward payoffs, needs to come in. Reward-driven content that is also accessible enough to be completed quickly won't keep people playing an MMO forever. Even trivial things like pet battles have a better focus on longevity and fun value than a lot of the game's major content, which should raise a red flag for Blizzard.

The journey should be more important than the destination, and that just doesn't show up in the game's design.
    How can Blizzard influence that though? It's in the heads of players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    It wasn't a LFG tool that killed community in casual PvE, it was multiple realm selection pools.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    It wasn't a LFG tool that killed community in casual PvE, it was multiple realm selection pools.
    True. Can we say lfg in this current form seriously damaged server communities?

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    And you dear sir, is rehashing the same old arguement. What you are advocating is that people should manually find group in trade chat like before. What you refuse to listen is that is not an option for some people. For you, this is their problem. If they cannot find group, too bad, no dungeons for them. For people like you, who have no trouble with finding people and friends, it works for well for you.

As it has been mentioned by many people, spamming trade chat for over an hours to find people for one dungeon is not something they want to do. Again this is their experience. Yours is very different because you have no trouble making new friends in tradechat in minutes.
    I was not "making friends in tradechat in minutes", but I managed to find people to play a dungeon with. Some of them then would be pleasant enough for me to remember them, other unpleasant enough for me to remember them too. Seems pretty much the basis of a (supposedly) community-based game.
    I feel that in the team-based part of a MMO, being able to find and function in a team should be the default requirement, instead of making the entire team irrelevant and replaceable by what are, for all instances and purpose, bots.
    The social aspect in dungeon runs? Sure there were exchange pleasanturies. But once the dungeons run was over, people went their seperate ways. Adding people to friends list? Only if you happen to be a tank or healer. This is not making friends in my opinion, it is simply adding people of value to your list. Again, your experience differs. You make friends easily in your dungeons. That is your experience.
    It's not just "my" experience if we consider the many descriptions of many people from this time. Also, it's not "becoming friends" with someone after ten minutes. It's simply noticing that such person manage to write correctly, manage to not be an ass, and seems to be pleasant all around. You register his/her name somewhere in your brain. S/he remembers yours.
    Maybe sometimes you see the same person looking for someone, or s/he sees you doing the same. And you play again.
    And if you've fun together, you may end up getting a postulation for your guild - about 75 % of people we recruited was because of this very system.
    Some people prefer to make friends in guilds. That is their choice. That is their style. You want to make friends in dungeons or tradechat, that is your choice. I personally do not socialize with random people I meet on the train or buses. I do that with peole I meet regularly, like in my guild.
    Yeah, and as said above, encountering new people was THE main way to find a guild in-game.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People who are not willing to take the less efficient path and willingly take another path that's quicker should not be complaining about it. It's hypocritical to complain about LFD/LFR while continuing to use it when there is a clear alternative not to do so. If the social aspect of the game is so valuable then they should do everything they can to enhance that at the expense of efficiency. Otherwise, it makes all of this just so much meaningless hot air.
    Again, the fun of overcoming a challenge is that it's required.
    If it's not required, it's not "overcoming a challenge", it's "making your life more difficult on purpose", which is the OPPOSITE of what makes overcoming a challenge fun.

It seems such a simple concept is completely impossible to understand for many people.