I thought league point gains were "low"

So I played 3 ranked games today with my friend. We're both bronze div 4. No we're not absolute trash, but obviously we're not the best things to install league.

In our first game we lost a close match, we lost 7 league points during this. My friend went from 7 to 0. I for some reason just had dashes in mine. Then our next 2 games we won, both gaining 33 and 36 league points.

Now to my understanding we are only supposed to gain like 1-10 league points per win? Is it because we're duo queuing getting higher ranked players? Or is something else at work here?

Your LP gains are tied into your MMR, which is not visible in the League client. If your MMR is high in relation to your division, you will gain more LP per win because the system thinks you belong in a higher division.

On the flip side, if you tank your LP down to 0 and proceed to lose 5-10 games at 0 LP your MMR will go down as the system begins to think that actually do belong where you are and adjusts your LP gains per win to reflect this.

I've been duo queuing ranked with a friend for the last few weeks. We win 70-75% of our games when we play together, but he has a bad habit of solo queuing when I'm not around. As a result, he has lost a pretty good amount of games more than I have. So now when we play together, I'm still gaining between 25-35 LP a win, and he's getting ~12.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

Will this continue to happen in the higher divisions of bronze/silver etc? Or will my league point gains grow smaller the higher the division I am?

I believe the higher you advance in your tier, the tighter it begins to clamp down on your LP gains. For example, if you watch any of the people that stream from Diamond 1, they gain 0 LP for a win on a pretty regular occasion.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

Thats shitty, oh well. #lifeofranked

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on your mmr. If your mmr is not around what your division thing is, then you will gain LP in a way that you should approach it. On average though, I think 15-20 lp gains are pretty normal.

Of course if your mmr is lower than your division or whatever, you will gain less lp than you lose. As for how long it continues, it's relative to what your mmr is. It could continue well into gold or plat, or maybe it will stop in silver, I have no idea.

Deleted
    I am in Platinum 5 (Promo series currently) and I gain anywhere between 25-33LP each game. The higher your MMR is (which is hidden I believe) then more LP you'll gain when you win and loss less when you lose a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    Thats shitty, oh well. #lifeofranked
    In Silver 2 and 1 I consistently gained 25-30 LP per win, and my statistics are not all that impressive. If you manage to maintain a record of above 50% it seems to grant you sizeable LP gains per win .

Deleted
    i got put into bronze 2 after placement and I was dreading it. then i found out I got 35+ lp per win and only 5-10 for a loss. it's not so horrible as I imagined because I definitely win a lot more than I lose.

so yeah, you will probably continue to gain that amount of LP for a while, until you reach where league thinks you should be placed and it will stabilize a lot more.

Yeah I played another ranked game to help a friend get into his promotion series. Winning about 30 LP per win, and only lost about 15 LP for the game I played with him. Interesting to wonder where all the complaints came about this.

Deleted
    I'm currently getting 30LP for a win and -8 to 10 for a loss. The problem is some people are getting as low as 1 or even at the minute, 0 LP - yes 0 LP - for a win, then they're clamped, which is incredibly frustrating for them, especially when MMR is hidden, you can't see why it is you're getting so low, or how many games it'll take to change it, there's no progress indicator, just, you're clamped until your invisible MMR improves which could take 1 game or 50 games. You can't choose to pit yourself against higher players and risk a higher loss for a higher gain or anything, you have to accept that the invisible riot system knows how to place you and reward you.

The system seems fine to those like me, who can see high, positive numbers for winning and don't feel totally bummed out by losing... but for those who just won 4 games at 1LP each and then lost 10LP without truly understanding the whys / how to fix other than "win more games", it can be super frustrating.. which is how you end up reading so many upset posts / rants on reddit/official forums about the current system.