Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Bidding on AH doesn't take gold out of the economy.. The cut is too small to matter..
    You're thinking of the listing fee, which is based on the vendor value of the item.

The actual cut is 5-15% of the total cost of any successful auction depending on which AH you use. If you sell a lot or sell big ticket items it's pretty significant.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-08-08 at 06:43 AM.

To stop exactly what you're trying to do lol. That is, auction sniping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlockJack View Post
    Except for the fact that wow auctions tack on way too much time, as in my previous post. Real auctions do not do that. The last bidder doesn't have to sit around for a couple hours waiting to see if he won when there should have been less than 30 mins left and nobody else is bidding.
    The issue of complaint should not be why they do this then, but *how* they do this.

How much are you increasing your bid by? Under the circumstances you describe I've tended not to increase my bid by a small amount but by a substantial amount that results in a price I am still happy to pay. Sometimes this prices the item out of the rival bidder's acceptable price, sometimes it doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    You're thinking of the listing fee, which is based on the vendor value of the item.

The actual cut is 5-15% of the total of any successful auction depending on which AH you use. If you sell a lot or sell big ticket items it's pretty significant.
    Cut is 5%.. Noone use Neutral AH which is the only 15% AH.
    Listing fee is the same, wether you extend the time or not.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Cut is 5%.. Noone use Neutral AH which is the only 15% AH.
    Listing fee is the same, wether you extend the time or not.
    I use the neutral AH plenty. You'd be surprised.

Regardless 5% is a significant amount, especially if you're selling big ticket items or dealing with high volume. I consider 5% of my gold to be significant, and I'd miss it if it were gone certainly.

The AH is at least in part intended to be a gold sink, and does so through taking that cut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlockJack View Post
    Real life auctions give you a few seconds to react. Wow gives you hours to react. My point is that it is too extreme. It adds so much time that it doesn't protect the interested bidder... it kicks the bidder out of the auction because he is no longer around to watch the auction any more.
    but that's just as means to balance the prescencial aspect that can't exist in wow. Not everyone is at the same time, in the same auction, interacting to each other. Trying to scrape by defeats the point of what an auction is in real life, because in prescencial auctions it only ends when no one wants to outbid the higher price, not because of time. In that aspect, it tries to avoid the mechanics of online auctions.

It's not a perfect system by any means, but It kinda is fairer.

The Neutral AH takes 15%? Huh, I learned something in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.