Thread: Republic class

Deleted

Republic class

Hi All,

I came back to the game about a month ago and am currently levelling a sith inquisitor to 50 (46 atm) which has been pretty enjoyable. I already have a Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight at 50, but already starting to think about what to level next. So simple question is which of the 3 Republic classes and which spec would be the most fun to level next. I wouldnt need to ask if I was going to level an Imperial character, but from the (non spoiler) story reviews I've read the Consular, Smuggler and Trooper stories always get slated.

I'm only going to be DPSing as I'm only interested in doing the story so the ability to tank/heal is irrelevant. I'm also terrible at healing! Also the play style isnt really important as I have played all types of playstyles in other MMOs

I was leaning towards the Smuggler Gunslinger as thought the Han Solo character might be fun?

Any advice would be appreciated

I'm realy confused by your post. Because you do say "So simple question is which of the 3 Republic classes and which spec would be the most fun to level next."
    While yet, you say "I'm only going to be DPSing as I'm only interested in doing the story so the ability to tank/heal is irrelevant. I'm also terrible at healing! Also the play style isnt really important as I have played all types of playstyles in other MMOs"

What is it you want? A fun class to play with, or something that gets interesting in the story line? Because the Trooper has an interesting plot. So does Smuggler, but not as much (if you ask me). The most interesting Story Line of all, is the Imperial Agent, but it seems you don't want to be playing that. So, ignore that.

And I'd like to add something. "So simple question is which of the 3 Republic classes and which spec would be the most fun to level next. I wouldnt need to ask if I was going to level an Imperial character" You do realise that all the Republic and Imperial classes are mirrored of eachother? Smuggler/Agent, Trooper/Bounty Hunter, Knight/Warrior and Consular/Inquisitor

Well, Smuggler class story is damn fun (especially playing it kinda dark, and as a male). However, my preference is toward melee toons, so I went Scoundrel instead of gunslinger.

Trooper is good fun, so long as you get what the story is about. If you go in thinking it's going to be something it's not, you won't enjoy it as much. Do you want to assemble an elite squad of people from across the galaxy? Then yeah, Trooper is what you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smuggler storyline is pretty bland after you get your Ship back (Coruscant). Then only redeeming thing is that the Smuggler has some of the better dialogue, usually always having a great smart-ass line to offer. So I wasn't so much looking forward to what happens next in the story as much as what the Smuggler would say next. For gameplay, the Gunslinger is a very easy and powerful class to level as. It gets a lot of its key abilities very early on, has some of the best AoE in the game (leveling at least), and outstanding single-target.

As far as Storylines though, Trooper has a GREAT Chapter 1. Chapter 2 & 3 are kinda boring, but Chapter 2 has an excellent finale. The story conclusion is kinda weak though. Consular is very underrated in my opinion, but is one of the more important storylines in the game. It might appeal to you if you like a storyline that is more about background work and diplomacy.

If you plan on doing Trooper or Consular, I would recommend the Vanguard or Shadow classes respectively. I am personally biased towards Shadow (I have 2 of them and 1 of its mirror, the Assassin).

Deleted
    I probably enjoyed the smuggler story more, mainly because of the dialogue. I was a healer leveling, but if i was to do it again i would choose gunslinger, i think it suits the story more.

Deleted
    Thank you for the suggestions. I finished my inquisitor story last night at 47. My god the ending was disappointing.

I've decided to go for smuggler. Hopefully it will be enjoyable to play. Is gunslinger easy to pick up? Any advice on which the best crew skills would be? Is the story better light or dark?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulletor View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions. I finished my inquisitor story last night at 47. My god the ending was disappointing.
    Sorry you didn't care for the ending. I thought it was pretty good, not the best mind you, but not bad at all.

I've decided to go for smuggler. Hopefully it will be enjoyable to play. Is gunslinger easy to pick up? Any advice on which the best crew skills would be? Is the story better light or dark?
    Gunslinger is very easy to pickup. When I played it (and Sniper) I really only needed to use about 4-5 buttons to wipe out mobs. I personally choose the far left tree to focus on (Sharpshooter I believe), and basic rotations were Aimed Shot, Charged Shot, Trickshot, Followthrough (I think that is the Imperial version of it, but basically execute). There is also a channeled attack, Series of Shots (Imperial terminology again I believe) that you get later that you can toss in there. But yeah, its a relatively easy class to pick up and play through, but to play it masterfully...that's another story.

Here is a video (old pre-Makeb video) of one of the best Gunslingers I've ever seen. Its a good example of what is possible with the class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnbhqNBvPys

Best crew skills I've found for leveling are Cybertech, Scavenging and Slicing so you get bonus cash while leveling from Slicing and you can keep you and your companions' gear up to date with the mods from Cybertech for really cheap. Alternatively, you can go Biotech, Bioanalysis, and Slicing for the bonus cash and steady supply of medpacks/stims. You don't get your healing companion until late in the game, so having bonus medpacks could be a bonus.

Personally, I went more dark than light. I found that suited the character better. I didn't go full dark though, as some choices were just too mean. There's no real benefit to going fully one way or another (except the Legacy bonus ability), so I would just take whatever path you think your character would for that given situation.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Personally, I went more dark than light. I found that suited the character better. I didn't go full dark though, as some choices were just too mean.
    This. It fits the Smuggler storyline very well. I mean, you ARE smuggling stuff (kind of, a little bit).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and being a little selfish helps the impact near the end seem a little more personal. =)

Why not Imperial Agent? :P IMHO, the best class story in game.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Why not Imperial Agent? :P IMHO, the best class story in game.
    Because IA isn't a Republic class?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulletor View Post
    Wasn't that bad IMO, it seemed to fit the theme of the Inquisitor, not amazing or mindblowing (I played Imperial Agent for that) , but decent nonetheless.