Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Pet Peeves: Language Abuse

    I think this bit by George Carlin explains it the best in a generalized sense:




    It also relates to forum communication. I've noticed a massive increase in a increase of 'not give a fuck' about anything relating to proper spelling and grammar.

    This isn't nit-picking at small, occasional mistakes or people of foreign languages that are open and honest about it; the ones you can tell are trying.

    This is about those who refuse to use the browser's built in spell checker to fix mistakes. The ones who consistently use 'text speak', when the average type speed at a proper keyboard would make typing the whole word negligible. The ones who have no clue about grammar, tense, or differences of words with similar phonetics (ex: to, too, two).

    Why has this become less of an amusing happening and turning into a Carlin-esque issue with the people who do it? Because it is lowering my belief in society as an intelligent species. Why post it here? Because this forum has been getting worse and worse by the month.

    I don't mind cursing or being aggressive; and I try my best not to be irked by the hive mind adaptation of new memes that pop up for little reason (the latest infusion into internet culture appears to be something close to 'ermahgerd', the other recent ones that played out fast were 'hurp derp' and referring to people's PCs as 'toasters' 'run by hamsters'). They don't all equally annoy; some are just minor things that just happen to be more irritating when viewed in combination with all the other pieces of our language slowly descending into the abyss.

    I know I make my mistakes; and I've latched onto some things in the past; but as this entropy of our language has started to appear as an epidemic ... I'm fretting for our future ability to communicate. I'd prefer the movie Idiocracy to remain fiction; not become a prediction.



    Any language, grammar, or spelling based mistakes, disregards, etc; done intentionally or out of ignorance, that have slowly or always been something that irks you or makes you cringe?

  2. #2
    Deleted
    I'm from Venezuela and I currently live on another country who doesn't have english as an official language.

    My knowledge of english came from playing WoW and trying to understand the quests and watching 'Friends' with subtitles on the TV... I've never studied english. So I might make a lot of mistakes in regards to spelling and grammar, and for that I'm sorry, it is not my intention to offend any english-speaker native. That being said, I think it is kind of ridiculous to expect that people speak perfect english on the internet, considering that a LOT of the internet population isn't from english-speaking countries, just be glad we try...

    Also, consider that a lot of people who is learning english from the internet and pop culture (people like me) use internet slang/pop culture references when communicating because, that's what we know of your language, and that's how your language is presented to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by mmocd3b3345756; 2013-08-08 at 12:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    I'm from Venezuela and I currently live on another country who doesn't have english as an official language.

    My knowledge of english came from playing WoW and trying to understand the quests and watching 'Friends' with subtitles on the TV... I've never studied english. So I might make a lot of mistakes in regards to spelling and grammar, and for that I'm sorry, it is not my intention to offend any english-speaker native. That being said, I think it is kind of ridiculous to expect that people speak perfect english on the internet, considering that a LOT of the internet population isn't from english-speaking countries, just be glad we try...
    He didn't mean foreign people, he meant people from countries like Canada (you frenchies are excused), USA, Britain and Australia who have spoken English since birth and still can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

  4. #4
    I dont mind spelling or grammar mistakes (especially by people who are not English), and for example my 'build in spelling check' is glowing red on every english word i write, even if its correct. (im not English)

    Tho i cant stand people who are using the words like: plox instead of please/pls

    I must say i cant be bothered to use a lot of 's when typing english tho, my own language barely uses them and in English i have to use them so many times i just cba

    cant = can't
    didnt = didn't

    etc
    Last edited by psycon; 2013-08-08 at 12:56 PM.

  5. #5
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariboulou View Post
    He didn't mean foreign people, he meant people from countries like Canada (you frenchies are excused), USA, Britain and Australia who have spoken English since birth and still can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're".
    I know, but he's putting this forums as an example of people speaking english the wrong way. I'm pointing out that most of the people on this forums aren't from countries where you would speak english on your everyday life.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by psycon View Post
    I dont mind spelling or grammar mistakes (especially by people who are not English), and for example my 'build in spelling check' is glowing red on every english word i write, even if its correct. (im not English)

    Tho i cant stand people who are using the words like: plox instead of please/pls
    this happens to me too... hehe

  6. #6
    I don't know if they're trying to annoy people with blatant typos and draw attention to themselves, but then again "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The only lies here are the bullshit coming from you. RBG appears to be immortal.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    I know, but he's putting this forums as an example of people speaking english the wrong way. I'm pointing out that most of the people on this forums aren't from countries where you would speak english on your everyday life.
    And yet, many people ARE from English speaking countries. I cringe every time I see someone typing "could of", "your/you're" and crap like that only to see their location says UK for example. There is no excuse for not knowing your own language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

  8. #8
    If English is your native language, you should at least have a basic grasp of it.

    They're = they are. "They're eating dinner with us"

    Their = Belonging to someone "It is their house"

    There = a place or direction "Let's go see what is happening over there"

    You're = You Are "You're welcome to join us at the concert"

    Your = Belonging to someone "Is that your new car?"

    Have versus Got

    We got no chance to get there in time = Incorrect

    We have no chance to get there in time = Correct

    Come on, they teach this stuff in third grade. Remember?

    Saw verses Seen

    I saw an unfamiliar man walk into my yard = Correct

    I seen an unfamiliar man walk into my yard = Incorrect

    He was not someone I have seen before = Correct use of Seen.

    P.S.

    "Ur" does not mean "You Are" or "Your" It is plain lazy to even think it does.
    Ur was a Sumerian city-state, the ruins of which are in modern day Iraq.
    Ur is also a novella by Stephen King about a multi-dimensional pink Kindle.

  9. #9
    Deleted
    I saw a giant Bear, bearing that in mind as I lay bare naked....

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariboulou View Post
    He didn't mean foreign people, he meant people from countries like Canada (you frenchies are excused), USA, Britain and Australia who have spoken English since birth and still can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're".
    While it is annoying, I sometimes get my Too & To mixed up, simply because I was never taught the difference between them. Expecting people to understand their language perfectly because the language originates from their nation is stupid. You can have a good understanding of the language, and still make mistakes.

    It is also completely possible that in some cases, it was an honest mistake, pressing 'O' an extra time by mistake, rather then thinking it should be Too or to.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksideblues42 View Post
    If English is your native language, you should at least have a basic grasp of it.

    They're = they are. "They're eating dinner with us"

    Their = Belonging to someone "It is their house"

    There = a place or direction "Let's go see what is happening over there"

    You're = You Are "You're welcome to join us at the concert"

    Your = Belonging to someone "Is that your new car?"

    Have versus Got

    We got no chance to get there in time = Incorrect

    We have no chance to get there in time = Correct

    Come on, they teach this stuff in third grade. Remember?

    Saw verses Seen

    I saw an unfamiliar man walk into my yard = Correct

    I seen an unfamiliar man walk into my yard = Incorrect

    He was not someone I have seen before = Correct use of Seen.

    P.S.

    "Ur" does not mean "You Are" or "Your" It is plain lazy to even think it does.
    Ur was a Sumerian city-state, the ruins of which are in modern day Iraq.
    Ur is also a novella by Stephen King about a multi-dimensional pink Kindle.
    i dont no y ur freaking out so much about r tlking, its not a big deal ok? r u liek, ocd or somethin?

  12. #12
    Honorary PvM "Mod" Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    51,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    I know, but he's putting this forums as an example of people speaking english the wrong way. I'm pointing out that most of the people on this forums aren't from countries where you would speak english on your everyday life.
    That doesn't mean they're unable to type in proper English. I see it all the time, even from those born here in the United States and it is appalling overall. I feel for the future of our world at the rate that we're outright destroying the English language (and indeed any language in a written form).

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    While it is annoying, I sometimes get my Too & To mixed up, simply because I was never taught the difference between them. Expecting people to understand their language perfectly because the language originates from their nation is stupid. You can have a good understanding of the language, and still make mistakes.

    It is also completely possible that in some cases, it was an honest mistake, pressing 'O' an extra time by mistake, rather then thinking it should be Too or to.
    The latter is understandable, but the former isn't. You've spoken that language all your life and it's just stupid not to know it perfectly. You can't blame your educational system for not teaching you the difference between "to" and "too". That's like blaming McDonalds for making you fat because they never told you the food isn't good for you. The responsibility is yours, especially as an adult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

  14. #14
    Honorary PvM "Mod" Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    51,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    I'm from Venezuela and I currently live on another country who doesn't have english as an official language.

    My knowledge of english came from playing WoW and trying to understand the quests and watching 'Friends' with subtitles on the TV... I've never studied english. So I might make a lot of mistakes in regards to spelling and grammar, and for that I'm sorry, it is not my intention to offend any english-speaker native. That being said, I think it is kind of ridiculous to expect that people speak perfect english on the internet, considering that a LOT of the internet population isn't from english-speaking countries, just be glad we try...

    Also, consider that a lot of people who is learning english from the internet and pop culture (people like me) use internet slang/pop culture references when communicating because, that's what we know of your language, and that's how your language is presented to the rest of the world.
    From what I am seeing right now, in this message that you've typed, you're far ahead of a lot of native English-speakers. Absolutely. I don't believe what you're typing up is what the OP is really complaining about.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That doesn't mean they're unable to type in proper English. I see it all the time, even from those born here in the United States and it is appalling overall. I feel for the future of our world at the rate that we're outright destroying the English language (and indeed any language in a written form).
    Stop being so fucking over dramatic.

    Technology has improved our ability to communicate beyond anything we could have ever achieved without it, so there are more people today who are more fluent with their languages, and have learnt other languages because of it.

    To fear for the future of our world because someone gets your & you're mixed up, is just childish. Sure, someone typing like; "u wot m8, 1v1 me faget irl" is just disgraceful, I still don't weep for humanity, I just think they've been brought up in a terrible home with a poor education system.

  16. #16
    A missing Capital letter can be fun too.

    I helped my Uncle Jack off a Horse.
    I helped my Uncle jack off a Horse

    and there's certainly a difference between "Knowing your shit" and "Knowing you're shit" point this out to the next person that calls you a Grammar Nazi!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariboulou View Post
    The latter is understandable, but the former isn't. You've spoken that language all your life and it's just stupid not to know it perfectly. You can't blame your educational system for not teaching you the difference between "to" and "too". That's like blaming McDonalds for making you fat because they never told you the food isn't good for you. The responsibility is yours, especially as an adult.
    I'm not making excuses, I'm detailing why some people don't have the correct information, or make proper use of grammar. I'm quite a stickler for grammar myself, and more often then not my mistakes are genuinely because i'm typing to fast to even really notice them.

    Asking people to have a proper grasp on English isn't a jerk move, but asking people to understand it perfectly is, simply because this is a gaming forum, not a literature society. There will be thousands of people around the world who would deem all of our uses of grammar, and punctuation as appalling, so it really comes down to who is reading.

    If I see someone make a mistake or two, I generally put it down to typing to fast, or not really proof reading their stuff. If however it is riddled with mistakes, I just put that down to them not having English as their mother tongue. If they are however from an English speaking nation, I just put it down to their poor upbringing / education.

  18. #18
    Honorary PvM "Mod" Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    51,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    To fear for the future of our world because someone gets your & you're mixed up, is just childish. Sure, someone typing like; "u wot m8, 1v1 me faget irl" is just disgraceful, I still don't weep for humanity, I just think they've been brought up in a terrible home with a poor education system.
    The second line you typed out is the part that upsets so much. I see people I went to school with 15 years ago typing like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    If I see someone make a mistake or two, I generally put it down to typing to fast, or not really proof reading their stuff. If however it is riddled with mistakes, I just put that down to them not having English as their mother tongue. If they are however from an English speaking nation, I just put it down to their poor upbringing / education.
    Plenty of people have a fine eduction when it comes to proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar; they're just lazy as hell and don't want to bother correcting themselves. Writing pen to paper leaves little room for error unless you have a bottle of white-out handy.

  19. #19
    Deleted
    The amount of Americans I've heard say "Excape" instead of "Escape" is worrying. Same with "Paficially" instead of "Specifically".

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Twoddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    While it is annoying, I sometimes get my Too & To mixed up, simply because I was never taught the difference between them.
    "Too" and "to" are easy. Just think that whenever you say the word "too" you are forced to say the "ooh" sound but whenever you say "to" you can often get away with pronouncing it "te".

    "I must go te the shops now". "To" is correct because you can get away with pronouncing it "te" informally.
    "Chocolate is good as long as you don't each toooh much". "Too" is correct because you are forced to say the "oooh".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    The amount of Americans I've heard say "Excape" instead of "Escape" is worrying. Same with "Paficially" instead of "Specifically".
    That's because it's the way babies speak and parents like to speak back to their children the same way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •