Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    Ok this and what it was a reply to is now my favorite thing on the internet. That was hilarious.
    Kids can be complete manipulative, scheming, lying, evil little shits, just like adults can. Children can be predators just as adults can.

Again, bravo to the judge.
    On a case where the pedophile was let free and the kid called a predator.

Yeah it's not much of a stretch to say they condone it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    again, reading something that isn't there. Calm down. and they did not let him off. The punishment should have been stiffer, but it wasn't letting him off.
    I'm reading what they're condoning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    On a case where the pedophile was let free and the kid called a predator.

Yeah it's not much of a stretch to say they condone it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm reading what they're condoning.
    and tell me, exactly what sentence did he utter that condoned sex with children? Because what the judge said wasn't condoning it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    It may be your opinion but it has zero legal standing. She was incapable of giving consent, she cannot be complicit in her own abuse. Just because kids can be precocious doesn't mean that they all are, it's kind of the definition of the word. Now if you're of the opinion that kids are in fact capable of consent prior to the ages of 16, and not just a few but a big enough majority to warrant a change in the age of consent, then please state your fact based and well reasoned case, until then, jamming your fingers in your ears and going 'lalala this girl deserved it, well done judge' is just inflammatory.

The adult in that situation has a defense of not being able to give informed consent because he was not fully aware of the situation due to the deception on the part of the minor. Please stop trying to make it out to be a common occurrence.
    It also often triggers VERY emotional responses..Plus i do NOT see ANYOEN denying the legal aspect merely that the laws are wrong/should be amended. Or at least not followed as blindly as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    That is simply untrue. It entirely depends on experience and maturity level. also, mental development is typically at the end of that age range so even if we were to use that we'd still be sending 'children' to wage war and kill other people in the military.
    No it does not. Biologically different areas of the brain develop at different times. Human being do not have the area responsible for judgement develop until late (they're one of the last areas to develop). There's enormous amounts of actual medical research on this. I'm assuming you don't have journal database access so I'll just link some articles.

http://www.hhs.gov/opa/familylife/te...rontal_cortex/
    http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_...Making_95.aspx
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ut-the-brakes/

Seriously, I have a Masters in Education, I'm a qualified and registered teacher, I work with teens every day. This is absolutely basic first year undergrad education degree stuff. It's completely recognised and broadly taught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    well, obviously they can be manipulative, but that doesnt necessarily translate to "responsible"
    I wouldn't call most 30 or even some 40 year olds responsible these days...

- - - Updated - - -

Please stop making statements regarding the law when you clearly don't understand it, it's actually pretty dangerous to promote disinformation like this.

Incorrectly and he will receive the proper punishment when the case is reviewed in the immediate future. The DPP have already stated that the prosecutors use of the word predatory was incorrect in it's application and the judge apparently merely took into consideration that the 'looked and acted slightly older than she was'

The reason this is even an issue is because the law was incorrectly applied and will be rectified, so don't celebrate or relax too soon.
    Disinformation? How and youa re obviously seeing this as merely a legal topic as opposed to a social one one that can and does create problems.

If anything i'd say you're the one missing ALOT of points here such as that some of us see the laws and the way they are enacted/used as flawed and are as such voicing discontent with them...I have not misunderstood a thing i am saying i feel the way we do things now is flawed and dangerous.

Socially the girl gave consent LEGALLY she did not..I do NOT see what is so hard to separate what she did in reality as opposed to legally.

and tell me, exactly what sentence did he utter that condoned sex with children? Because what the judge said wasn't condoning it.
    "Man gets off from murder charges judge says kid should not have worn the color purple."

"Yeah bravo to the judge purple is bad kids in purple have been doing evil shit for years so bravo."

Me:

So you condone shooting kids in purple.

You:

"where did I say I condone shooting kids who wear purple? I just said bravo to the judge for condoning the shooting of a kid in purple."

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'm shocked that you haven't been called a pedophile yet. That's what always happens to me when I present these kinds of views.
    I KNOW RIGHT! I'm kinda amazed myself..I'm not one but alot of people think these views mean you are...

I don't think 10 year olds should be engaging in sexual activity with adults but once you get into mid-puberty the lines blur because maturity is largely differentiated at that point. Sure, there might have been abuse, there also might have been none at all, it's not really worth bringing up in terms of making blanket laws since it's a case-by-case thing.
    I don't disagree with you on most of this and I wasn't in favour of making blanket laws outside of setting up the framework for people in the situation that the Romeo and Juliet laws are supposed to protect, to actually use the laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but I'm not going to waste an undue amount of time attempting to reason with someone who says things like 'Statutory rape isn't rape' and 'Law or not' in discussions concerning the law. What's even the point if he's just going to abandon the law when it doesn't suit him. Statutory rape is rape, there might not always be force involved and the levels of coercion can vary but it is still rape as consent from the minor has not been given.
    LOL how the hell am i abandoning law? I am saying it wrong wrong IMO and should be changed or at least used more reasonable instead of just the literal interpretation. Just because i challenge a status quo in a philosophical sense and promote a change does not mean i ignore or break laws. This is the type of logic that is flawed at it's core.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aristeus, its clear you are in an emotionally charged state with no way to think things through logically. I bid you good day.

Brain research indicating that brain development is not complete until near the age of 25, refers specifically to the development of the prefrontal cortex.
    So, still, we arrive at: Age of consent is arbitrary.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    No it does not. Biologically different areas of the brain develop at different times. Human being do not have the area responsible for judgement develop until late (they're one of the last areas to develop). There's enormous amounts of actual medical research on this. I'm assuming you don't have journal database access so I'll just link some articles.

http://www.hhs.gov/opa/familylife/te...rontal_cortex/
    http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_...Making_95.aspx
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ut-the-brakes/

Seriously, I have a Masters in Education, I'm a qualified and registered teacher, I work with teens every day. This is absolutely basic first year undergrad education degree stuff. It's completely recognised and broadly taught.
    Sigh, this is what higher education does to people...

Did you even read the links you posted? There's a reason they avoid saying things like 'literally can not use proper judgment'. Notice how they all say 'less likely'? Because it's also based on maturity level and upbringing and just because that area is developing DOES NOT mean that it's impossible for them to use proper judgment, simply that some may be less likely to. Seriously, just because you have a Masters in something doesn't mean you are an expert, especially when you gloss over those little details.

Even if she was (which would mean she's not had a great life and seriously needs help) it doesn't excuse the man. If it does, then you can dismiss any crime by saying "someone else made me do it".

I seriously hope the Judge gets suspended and investigated for this poor judgement, the accused gets put back on trial with a new judge and jury, and that girl gets all the help she obviously needs (whichever way of the coin she is).

Because holy shit.

Aristeus, its clear you are in an emotionally charged state with no way to think things through logically. I bid you good day.
    Bid you good day... this isn't a fucking cartoon with an overly stuffy English man with a pipe mustache and a bowler.

I'm not in an irrational emotionally charged state, I just simply have no patience or stupidity, semantics, and games, and am very very very very short with such things.

I don't disagree with you on most of this and I wasn't in favour of making blanket laws outside of setting up the framework for people in the situation that the Romeo and Juliet laws are supposed to protect, to actually use the laws.
    Fair enough, just making sure my point was clear and concise : ).

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Even if she was (which would mean she's not had a great life and seriously needs help) it doesn't excuse the man. If it does, then you can dismiss any crime by saying "someone else made me do it".

I seriously hope the Judge gets suspended and investigated for this poor judgement, the accused gets put back on trial with a new judge and jury, and that girl gets all the help she obviously needs (whichever way of the coin she is).

Because holy shit.
    "Why did you shoot her?"

"Well she kept saying shoot me shoot me come one, I got shot her."

"Okay good enough for me, off you go!"

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a friend who had sex with a minor.

She admitted in court to having a fake ID showing she was 18 and told everyone she was 18.

He still got Probation and labeled as a sex offender......

Except consent is given, it's just consent not accepted by the law. There's a reason it's differentiated from rape. Rape is sexual conduct without consent from one of the parties. In statutory rape there is consent but because there is an arbitrarily set age at which that consent becomes valid it's not accepted by the court. a 17 year old a month away from turning 18 can not give consent to her 18 year old boyfriend who is still in school with her and he could be charged with a crime for that, that is why the law is not taken seriously. Does it have a legitimate place? Sure, but it's also used in places that are simply ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    And i can name plenty of cases of things like say teachers and students falling in love(highschool students) and eventually getting married NO abuse involved. But people seem to almost always assume abuse is the default which i just cannot get.
    If the relationship is genuinely worth pursuing, why isn't it worth the wait for it to become legal? And is their relationship somehow invalidated if they cannot engage in sex for a short period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Lets not go that far, he is still a sex offender regardless of whether or not he was seduced. He is guilty of either being a pervert or stupid, both should be criminal offenses.
    Well, being stupid isn't. However, doing something illegal due to stupidity...

And he's by definition a Sex Offender even without what happened between him and the girl, if what they found on his PC is true. That alone warrants a larger sentence!

LOL how the hell am i abandoning law? I am saying it wrong wrong IMO and should be changed or at least used more reasonable instead of just the literal interpretation. Just because i challenge a status quo in a philosophical sense and promote a change does not mean i ignore or break laws. This is the type of logic that is flawed at it's core.
    WHO THE FUCK IS SAYING THAT! No we're saying she consented and clearly wanted it LAW OR NOT SHE CONSENTED TO SOMETHING SHE SOUGHT not at ALL the same and in NO WAY is she a victim here....She may have been abused in the past i cannot say but in this case she was no less a victim then a 29 year old choosing to sleep with an 80 year old.

You can't just ignore the law because you don't agree with it. Make a case for changing it if you feel it's improper, don't just disregard the principles that the laws are founded on.