Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFanta View Post
    You haven't answered my previous post where I addressed this. What's the point of being a "man" with millions of dollars at age 40 if you don't have a dick left (worst case scenario)?
    Clearly you just don't have the ability to understand risk vs. reward.

Also, worst case scenario would be dying from internal brain hemorrhaging from taking a line drive off the side of the side. Pretty sure 99% of men would take the risk if they had the physical ability to pitch in the MLB for a MLB salary.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    For what they get paid, the game should be played in an indoor arena. The players should be naked and armed with baseball bats, 2x4s, and at least one tire iron.

It can be a dangerous game, you accept the risk. Just like any other job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    It can be a dangerous game, you accept the risk. Just like any other job.
    Precisely this. I was going to add that men and women in the working world take greater risks for 0.5% (or less) of the pay.

I know its been glamorized by TV, but don't you think working a fishing / crab boat for $35k / year has a much less favorable risk vs. reward than a MLB pitcher?

Full circle: my hypothesis remains...you're either not a man or a bit of a yellow-belly.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-08-09 at 02:39 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    lol Another terrible fielding pitcher. A lot of the great pitchers were terrible fielders, that's why it was so rare to see Maddox be great at it. Nolan Ryan was terrible at fielding, Clemens on the Yankees was always in horrible position. Cliff Lee is pretty bad too.

lol That was probably at the height of his gut. He has trimmed down a bit, but still rolls off the mound.

A lot of those guys were drop and drive pitchers and yeah -- they tended to be in some very awkward positions. It really is surprising you don't see more guys getting skulled -- particularly in HS and college where some composite bats are still used and exit velocities can get stupidly high.

So in that case all American Football players, the guy in baseball catching the ball behind the batter, hockey players who wear any form of protection, baseball players who wear helmets, Rugby players who wear crotch protection, etc are all pussies because they don't play risky for all the money they get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloswin View Post
    particularly in HS and college where some composite bats are still used and exit velocities can get stupidly high.
    They're actually trying to remove aluminum bats from college if they haven't already. Plus it helps them transition their hitting if they want to go pro.

This has been the same for 173 some odd years. Being hit by a batted ball isn't a common occurrence either.

10+ Year Old Account
    So in that case all American Football players, the guy in baseball catching the ball behind the batter, hockey players who wear any form of protection, baseball players who wear helmets, Rugby players who wear crotch protection, etc are all pussies because they don't play risky for all the money they get paid.
    Because baseball isn't a contact sport...

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm giving up on you. I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by darsh333 View Post
    This has been the same for 173 some odd years. Being hit by a batted ball isn't a common occurrence either.
    I'd be more scared about getting impaled with a shredded bat than a ball tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Because baseball isn't a contact sport...
    You must not have read the previous answers these real men are giving me, according to them wearing protection and making lots of money should not go hand in hand. Whether it's a helmet to protect you from a ball or body armor to protect you from a hockey stick (which usually shouldn't be aimed at people's heads), wearing them makes you a "vagina", because it's ok to take unnecessary risks as long as you get paid lots of money. It doesn't matter if you die or get horribly injured, because you'll be dead/paraplegic...but your coffin/wheelchair will be made out of gold-titanium alloy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I'm giving up on you. I tried.
    The feeling's mutual, my delusional friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must not have read the previous answers these real men are giving me, according to them wearing protection and making lots of money should not go hand in hand. Whether it's a helmet to protect you from a ball or body armor to protect you from a hockey stick (which usually should be aimed at people's heads), wearing them makes you a "vagina", because it's ok to take unnecessary risks as long as you get paid lots of money. It doesn't matter if you die or get horribly injured, because you'll be dead/paraplegic...but your coffin/wheelchair will be made out of gold-titanium alloy!
    Protection goes with the sport. Money is completely irrelevant in this regard.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/87...ed-padded-caps

from last december, i knew i saw something about this
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Well catchers gear is called "the tools of ignorance" in part because of the irony contrasting the intelligence needed to play catcher with the foolishness needed to play a position so hazardous as to require so much protective equipment.

Catchers masks these days are much much better than they used to be -- but catchers used to have throat guards just to protect against a bat splintering and lodging themselves into a catchers jugular.

Mitch williams basically fell down as he followed thru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PysM3XAvkbM

Probably worst position to land in ever.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

You must not have read the previous answers these real men are giving me, according to them wearing protection and making lots of money should not go hand in hand.
    no one ever said that.
    I think you should walk away for 5 minutes, get a drink, take a few deep breaths, come back and read the posts.

A lot of the delivery has to do with height and leg length.

The smaller guys (Lincecum for example) or guys needing to generate more power typically extend their leg stretch forward after the kick. Lincecum if you observe extends it so far that he's really in a bad position to field, Mitch Williams used the same technique to generate most of his velocity.

Pitchers that don't have to create a ton of torque or extend their leg stretch are rare though.

An example of a pitcher in no fielding position that didn't use an extended leg stretch but used torque was Pedro Martinez. He wasn't a big guy, and he had to generate the power by turning himself.

Also, a lot of guys and their fielding prowess has a lot to do with their repertoire as well. Greg Maddux threw a lot of 2 seam sinkers, hence a lot of ground balls and a lot of opportunities. Nolan Ryan was a 4 seam fastball/curveball pitcher and while he was always in good form, he was primarily a flamethrower that gave up fly balls or struck you out.

I recall reading that they have developed head armor to put in hats, but it's way too uncomfortable to be used as of yet.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    no one ever said that.
    I think you should walk away for 5 minutes, get a drink, take a few deep breaths, come back and read the posts.
    That's all that Toxigen and the other guy said, I started this thread talking about protection in this sport, they're the ones calling people who consider these things pussies and vaginas, why are you calling me out of all people.

You must not have read the previous answers these real men are giving me, according to them wearing protection and making lots of money should not go hand in hand. Whether it's a helmet to protect you from a ball or body armor to protect you from a hockey stick (which usually shouldn't be aimed at people's heads), wearing them makes you a "vagina", because it's ok to take unnecessary risks as long as you get paid lots of money. It doesn't matter if you die or get horribly injured, because you'll be dead/paraplegic...but your coffin/wheelchair will be made out of gold-titanium alloy!
    There are quite a few sluggers wearing body armor at the plate (Barry Bonds being the most notorious, Arod as well).

If pitchers could wear it without hindering themselves, they would.

That's all that Toxigen and the other guy said, I started this thread talking about protection in this sport, they're the ones calling people who consider these things pussies and vaginas, why are you calling me out of all people.
    according to them wearing protection and making lots of money should not go hand in hand.
    no one ever said that.