Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I honestly thought Saints Row 4 was a joke. Played and loved 2, haven't played 3, now you're the president fighting back aliens.

Sorry, my suspension of disbelief just cannot handle this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I honestly thought Saints Row 4 was a joke. Played and loved 2, haven't played 3, now you're the president fighting back aliens.

Wait...suspension of disbelief is a thing in this series nowadays? I thought that the whole intention was to make it as over the top and unrealistic as possible >.>

I know that feel; I was playing this game the other day where I was shooting fire and frost out of my hands at a giant troll, trying to gather fragments to bring to a dragon prince...I had to step back and bring my self to reality.

15+ Year Old Account
    Played about 7 more hours of it today. The superpowers arn't all that bad now that I've messed around with them a bit. My favorite is the freeze one, just leaping from rooftop to rooftop, seeing an enemy aircraft coming at you and shooting it in mid-air with a bolt of forst as it crashes and explodes into a building, feels good man. Getting into the story, it all feels, really nice. Knowing that the superpowers are only in the simulation portion of the game, and not the real world. The ship being a crib where all your homies hang out and you can talk/ "romance" with them was a nice little addition. Curious on how the game will end though, considering that twist during "The Real World" mission, haha. Gotta give my other new game a try after I finish this one. That new XCOM game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Played about 7 more hours of it today. The superpowers arn't all that bad now that I've messed around with them a bit. My favorite is the freeze one, just leaping from rooftop to rooftop, seeing an enemy aircraft coming at you and shooting it in mid-air with a bolt of forst as it crashes and explodes into a building, feels good man. Getting into the story, it all feels, really nice. Knowing that the superpowers are only in the simulation portion of the game, and not the real world. The ship being a crib where all your homies hang out and you can talk/ "romance" with them was a nice little addition. Curious on how the game will end though, considering that twist during "The Real World" mission, haha. Gotta give my other new game a try after I finish this one. That new XCOM game.
    10 hours in myself and at about 25%, so for perhaps the first time ever the developers claim of it taking their play testers 8 hours a day for a week to finish may hold true.

So far I'm liking using the stomp ability from the air, but the powers are in general a fair amount of fun. Overall the game is great so far, with the exception of a few of the activities being annoying, but that was true of the previous games as well.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account

If the last SR game you played was 2 then you're completly out of the loop. Imagine trying to compare GTA 2 to GTA 4...

I only got to play about 2 hours yesterday but the game surprised me A LOT.

I about damn near lost lost it playing the first scene when you get thrown into the simulation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I about damn near lost lost it playing the first scene when you get thrown into the simulation.
    Co-op looks even funnier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Eh5F2DGv8

Don't click if you want to avoid spoilers...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I'm ignoring comments to avoid spoilers but lol I just got the game. Made Step Dad go to Kmart where some rude lady didn't recognize they had Saints Row 4 and some gay guy checked him out and hit on him making jokes about how he had to rush to catch the train home.

I'm with you guys@@@part of it is downloading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Angry Joe review is up... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4g9gfxxvnA 8/10 for those who dont want to watch him screech to get the score.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and to all those saying vehicles are pointless in this one, I just found a flying broom!
    Last edited by Kujako; 2013-08-21 at 10:22 PM.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Australia doesn't get it until the 12th of September.
    I love our government!
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Holy shit. Hard mode is a little challenging lol. I only beat the first part and a little more so far...I spent a ton of time looking for Clusters lol.

I can see why people would complain. These superpowers really do make cars and planes useless. On one hand, it's not the typical Saints Row/GTA style gameplay I like. On the other hand, I guess Saints Row had to go in a different direction with the brand than the typical gang shooter.

The typical Saints Row humor is there, but not as much as in 3. Maybe I need to play more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Holy shit. Hard mode is a little challenging lol. I only beat the first part and a little more so far...I spent a ton of time looking for Clusters lol.

I can see why people would complain. These superpowers really do make cars and planes useless. On one hand, it's not the typical Saints Row/GTA style gameplay I like. On the other hand, I guess Saints Row had to go in a different direction with the brand than the typical gang shooter.

The typical Saints Row humor is there, but not as much as in 3. Maybe I need to play more.
    It's not really any harder than SR3 was. I think they've thankfully done away with ridiculous regenerating health in favor of enemies dropping health nuggets when they die, but since you're so hard to hit and take so little damage while super-sprinting, it's not hard to zip through and hoover up a bunch of nuggets while darting from cover to cover.

I'm not completely sold on the superpowers; I really don't like how cars and other vehicles become almost entirely irrelevant less than two hours in.

On the other hand, the superpowers add a lot of variety to gameplay. Climbing towers is a lot like playing a Mario game, and so is zipping around the city sucking up data clusters. I'm about 15% in, and there's a Starfox-esque segment just before the end of the first act. Blast powers are fun, but I'd rather have grenades. The various weapons are fun, though pistols reign supreme over all else just like in SR3; if pistols kill everything in one hit to the face with just one damage upgrade, why do you need anything else except a rocket launcher for big groups of enemies? And if you can freeze people in place to guarantee a headshot...

Having to run around and grab data clusters quickly becomes monotonous. I'd much rather data clusters be rewards for doing side missions or activities rather than just aimlessly wandering around.

Radio on foot would be a fantastic addition to the game if the radio stations weren't complete garbage this time around. They removed a few of the stations from SR3 and the remaining ones are filled with a bunch of dross; there're maybe a few decent songs between all of the stations combined, which makes for a small mix tape. That said, the addition of literature to the classical station is pretty awesome, though it's hard to pay attention to it while you're busy blowing shit up. Maybe someone will come up with a way of swapping SR4 radio stations with the SR3 ones. I've been playing without radio at all so far.

I love how the "romance" options in on the ship openly mock Mass Effect. One of the most genuine laughs I've had in the past month.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even like dubstep and I think the dubstep gun is amazing, makes everything dance, and the beats are pretty awesome. (3 different beats, 1 for each skin you choose.) Liking the "pop" one the best, haha. Also little easter egg hint. Go to "Let's Pretend" Shoot the employees only door until it opens. Some neat little stuff in there.

The progression makes total sense.. 1st game you are the enforcer, in second the leader, the only logical step in 3rd would be celebrity and from there the last logical step would be presidency.

Just got a mail from the website i preordered it from that the order has been completed meaning it will either arrive in the mail today which is one day early or tommorow at the actual release in Europe.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2013-08-22 at 06:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    I don't even like dubstep and I think the dubstep gun is amazing, makes everything dance, and the beats are pretty awesome. (3 different beats, 1 for each skin you choose.) Liking the "pop" one the best, haha. Also little easter egg hint. Go to "Let's Pretend" Shoot the employees only door until it opens. Some neat little stuff in there.
    I could not agree more.
    Did you get explosive wubs? If not, get it! it just makes everything more awesome! And I'm about to play right now so I'm going to go shoot the employee with it and see what happens, thanks for the tip.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamentably I must report that all is not well in Saints land. I seem to have a 100% reproducible crash when exiting a specific mission "king of stillwater". Going to try reinstalling later today to see if it's a corrupted file.

-Kujako-

I can't explain to you guys how much I want to break my controller every time I try to grab a human shield and jump into a car.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't explain to you guys how much I want to break my controller every time I try to grab a human shield and jump into a car.
    To be fair, that interface is unchanged from previous Saints Row games. It's always been a bit of an issue.

-Kujako-

Couple pro-tips: (So to speak)

I've been finding myself running the races for quick cache. (Money) If you're just starting up, run the easy course that you get lead to as part of one of the early side quests a couple of times to buy up all your skills. Once you get comfortable with running and jumping, try the harder ones, they'll net you 10k if you can get a gold, and are repeatable (Which makes getting all the upgrades relatively simple), This is probably the fastest and easiest way to get money and not get hounded by legions of aliens trying to kill you.

The towers scattered around town are an excellent place to go to grab data clusters, there are usually ~8-12(or more) on the way up, and always 6-8 at the very top (as well as a rather large sum of XP) Additionally, i've found 'baggage-free' alien aircraft near the top of a couple of these towers on the east-southest part of town. which is definitely good to know (and, trivializes climbing future towers if you're just looking for quick XP.)

I haven't been able to successfully garage one of the aircraft yet. I'm guessing that is by design.

Over all, the game is fun as hell (despite me not being terribly far in the game yet) controls are decent on PC, and I haven't hit any snags or CTD's in my ~5 hours playing (Knock-on-wood)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    I haven't been able to successfully garage one of the aircraft yet. I'm guessing that is by design.
    Don't know about on the consoles, but on the PC holding down the 'n' key stores aircraft just fine. And there are some interesting new ones hidden around including the aforementioned flying broom.

-Kujako-