Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Outland revamp confirmed at Blizzcon 2010 for the Future

(12:45 is the Minute he announces it or click the Link to jump directly to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...kahXRpic&t=765 )

So, it seems like the Outland revamp was already planned by the time of Cataclysm and Alex says it won't be ready for ship.

So it wasn't in MoP too, so my guess is we actually will see an Outland revamp in the next expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    This was when WoW was still growing insanely, and when Cataclysm wasn't there yet.
    Not that i say that it won't happen. but big chance they wont do it again. Since Cataclysm went down the hill.

They might be scared for this again, and will drop this plan of revamping Outland aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    This was when WoW was still growing insanely, and when Cataclysm wasn't there yet.
    Not that i say that it won't happen. but big chance they wont do it again. Since Cataclysm went down the hill.

They might be scared for this again, and will drop this plan of revamping Outland aswell.
    You make a good point, however Outland has become a noticeable carbuncle in the levelling process with inferior questing and zone design. If it were 'cataclysmed' I imagine it would be considerably less work than fixing the older world so maybe they will do it.

Maybe they won't.

Three months to find out.

I doubt we will ever see another revamp again because of the time it takes away from leveling content for higher levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cataclysm revamp was something I think blizzard regrets, since it spent time away from developing proper endgame content. I doubt, unless they had the resources to do it, that they'd repeat this.
    #boycottchina

They might have changed their mind. People do that. I do it all the time. Healthy!

I don't think they'll be redoing Outland. I Don't really see a point that really justifies it by now.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously they would LIKE to do it, but I think it's a valid point that they may be gun shy about doing it. It is also worth noting, for whatever it's worth, that Alex Afrasiabi is no longer on the WoW team.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmzuay View Post
    Obviously they would LIKE to do it, but I think it's a valid point that they may be gun shy about doing it. It is also worth noting, for whatever it's worth, that Alex Afrasiabi is no longer on the WoW team.
    He might be again now that the Titan team has been cut down in size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do...not...touch...Outland! Leave the place of the best expansion alone (and before anyone kills me that's only my opinion).

And like people already said, revamp expansions are bad. A part - if not a majority - of the resources are put into redoing zones and quests completly. Excuse my fuzzy memory, but i still remember that part of the pre cata news and announcements were all about Deahtwing and how the world was being torn apart and what Blizzard was doing with the leveling areas.

If you're gonna do another Burning Legion expansion (which, as far as i know, would be the last one) do it in another planet. We've already killed all there was to be killed in Outland.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    He might be again now that the Titan team has been cut down in size.
    He could be, sure, but Dave Kosak has his old job.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Outlands could definitely use a revamp. Then again, it would be the same continent... same old Hellfire, same old Blade's Edge, same old Netherstorm and SMV... unless they completely redesign the physical landscape of each zone...

Outland really isn't that terrible, even if it's clearly the worst quest design of any of the current questing experience. I don't think people realize just how awful the pre-Cata 1-60 quest design was and how much of an upgrade it felt like to get out of it at level 58 and go to Outland. Plus, if they redo Outland, Northrend will feel poorly designed, because Wrath quest design is noticably more annoying than Cata/MoP quest design, so people will want that redone too. It would be endless.

Personally, what I think they should do is change the level range on some of the current old world zones. allowing you to quest from 1-85 without going to Outland or Northrend. There are multiple zones for each faction for each level range, (i.e. Westfall - Redridge - Duskwood - STV vs Darkshore - Ashenvale - Stonetalon - S. Barrens), and you generally can't even finish a single zone at your level range before outleveling it these days. They could easily take some of the current 1-60 zones and make them 60-70 zones, and take some more and make them 70-80 zones, giving you the option to skip the TBC/Wrath questing areas completely and level off the Cata Vanilla zone redesign quests right to 80. They would be able to do that without any huge development time as well, because the zones are redesigned, it would just be a matter of scaling the mob levels and quest rewards up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    This is a good point. However, imagine if 6.0 drops, and it turns out that Outlands, as we once knew it, no longer needs our assistance, and has instead been replaced with content that works for both level 60-70 and level 90-new level cap. Look at the barrens - it's phased for every level 90 (at least I think it is), but remains in it's 'normal state' for others. Imagine if instead of going to Outlands at level 58/60, you're heading to the demon homeworld instead (or wherever we're taken). This solves several problems;
    - Story continuity at low level - we're now fighting the same forces on the same timeline at 60 as we are at 90+
    - It 'revamps outlands' by replacing it entirely with a new continent
    - New raid mode that is tuned for level 70, but only works on the new continent raids
    - All old bosses are gone, but get replaced by bosses that have the same tactics and same drops
    - - e.g. Kael is replaced by a demon commander who has 4 Eredar advisors
    - Old achievements for Outlands become FoS, or are changed to work with the 'new bosses'

You know, the entire layout of the continent is changed. Essentially, Outlands no longer exists in game for the normal levelling route - perhaps make that a Caverns of Time portal instead (i.e. ports you to an uninstanced Outlands, exactly like now, but isn't the only level 60-70 experience any more). The replacement is a whole new continent, no more Hellfire Peninsula, no more fighting off Illidan's forces, no more Netherstorm, no more Shattrath, just and entirely new continent based on the demon home world or such, and as such new quests, dungeons, bosses, etc.

I think it's unlikely that'd happen in all honesty, but I think they'd be killing 2 birds with 1 stone if they did it. I think Blizzard are proud of what they did with MoP, and honestly, this is the first expansion where I'm truly proud of the work they did and the rate they pushed it out - sure, some would say "ITS TOO CASUAL", but I'd counter that by saying that I'm not talking about the playstyle of the expansion, but the actual content itself. It's less than a year into MoP, and there's been more content for this expansion already than there ever was for TBC, WotLK or even Cataclysm.
    if burning legion would be the next expansion or the one after that, Then we probably go to Argus, Outland is old news mate.
    You think blizzard is going to let us go back to Outland again, a content we already saw before? doesn't matter if they phase it, it remains the same.
    And that is something people hated in Cataclysm, things we already saw years before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Deleted
    Not going to happen imo. Revamping Azeroth was something that had to be done - can you imagine any new player getting through the vanilla 1-60 nowadays when other MMOs offer a 100x better leveling experience? If getting through Outland is such an issue, it would take a lot less work to just disable it/make it optional by making Azeroth 1-65 and Northrend 65-80 or something like that. I am sure Blizzard could come up with a solution. They would probably rather give us more zones/quests for 90-100 than spend these resources on the old Outland.

Well technically Pandaria, EK, Kal have all had some love recently, more recently than Outlands. I couldnt tell you when the last time anything was updated in Outlands.

so maybe its just its time for Outlands.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Wont happen. What the point of remaking outdated content? Blizzard spend their resourses for new zones and raids instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    return to Outland perhaps?

Maybe another Dark Portal opens up and we take the fight to the Burning Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    Wont happen. What the point of remaking outdated content? Blizzard spend their resourses for new zones and raids instead.
    Cataclysm says Hi
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Deleted
    Idk what the point would be. I sort of understood the reasoning with Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdom, but all that time spent on making TBC amazing would be wasted if they just destroyed the zone.

Considering Cata was a massive failure, they've probably dropped it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    Well technically Pandaria, EK, Kal have all had some love recently, more recently than Outlands. I couldnt tell you when the last time anything was updated in Outlands.

so maybe its just its time for Outlands.
    60-70 is considerably less work than 1-60, not to mention a lot of the development process was physically changing the zones due to the cataclysm. It's just the matter of updating the storylines, revamping the questing content, maybe revamping the dungeons, ect.

Deleted
    That was before the big fail of cata.