Europa Universalis IV

So we know the release date is set for August 13, has anyone pre-ordered or planning on it?

I personally am trying to decide between Europa Universalis IV and Total War: Rome II. I may just wait til their both released and hear some reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    So we know the release date is set for August 13, has anyone pre-ordered or planning on it?

I personally am trying to decide between Europa Universalis IV and Total War: Rome II. I may just wait til their both released and hear some reviews.
    While I love Crusader Kings? I'm just not a fan of the time period in Europa Universalis. So if I do pick it up it will during a sale.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I will pick it up definately, I loved the third one.

Europa Universalis is a great game if you're just getting into the Paradox style grand strategy game as it tends to be the sort of "babys first Paradox game". Easiest to get along with in a manner of speech.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I will pick it up definately, I loved the third one.

Europa Universalis is a great game if you're just getting into the Paradox style grand strategy game as it tends to be the sort of "babys first Paradox game". Easiest to get along with in a manner of speech.
    How much depth is there to the games?

Deleted
    I've already pre-ordered EU4 and it is a real improvment over EU3. I haven't been eager to play a game like this for ages. Funny enough, I've never been interested in CK2, I didn't really like the whole royal family part of the game. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Casomir View Post
    I've already pre-ordered EU4 and it is a real improvment over EU3. I haven't been eager to play a game like this for ages. Funny enough, I've never been interested in CK2, I didn't really like the whole royal family part of the game. :P
    What is it about EU4 that does it for you. I'm really torn between this and Total War: Rome II. Quite a conundrum.

Well, it's not really much of a choice for me since what attracts me most to Total War games is tactical battles, which is missing from EU as far as I understand. But I'm curious to try it still. I mean, "why not both?"
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, EU4 isn't turnbased (Assuming the stratetic parts of TW:R2 is).
    And I'll defo pick it up, maybe not on release since I'll have quite a heavy few months in school ahead of me. It'll likely be more accessible than EU3 since the interface just sucks. Which in return will add more to the experience.

But for me on TW:R2 and EU4 would be: What's most important, battles or the bigger strategy?
    TW:R2 = Battles.
    EU4 = Biger strategy.

Can't wait to do 4-10 (or more) people MP in EU4, backstabbing and helping out unexpectedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    What is it about EU4 that does it for you. I'm really torn between this and Total War: Rome II. Quite a conundrum.
    Because countless players have already sunk in hundreds and even thousand of hours into EU3. (for me, almost 700 hours, and I bought it during 2012 summer sale)

It's the grand feeling of turning an underdog of the time period and rise to the power and dominate the world.

It's a grand strategy game where you have to keep your country strong and stable, and try to outgrow the surrounding nations at the same time.

Though the learning curve is steep (steeper than EVE according to some people) but once you've got the hang of it, the feeling of dominating the region, and even the world, and changing/manipulating the course of history is very appealing.

Not to mention the fact that almost everything is moddable including mechanics, and savegames, by everyone, as long as you understand simple English.

It also has a great forum community. Have a question? Ask on the forum, and it'll get answered within a couple of hours.

Did I mention that you can convert a previous savegame from CK2, into EU4, then Victoria 2, and finally into HoI3 if you need more time and fun?
    Last edited by cywang86; 2013-08-02 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Well, it's not really much of a choice for me since what attracts me most to Total War games is tactical battles, which is missing from EU as far as I understand. But I'm curious to try it still. I mean, "why not both?"
    Why not both? Lotta money...

10+ Year Old Account
    I get the feeling I'll get bullied into playing it, though I'm not sure if Paradox-style grand strategy games are really my cup of tea. Now, you give me an Alpha Centauri, on the other hand...
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

The save game converter sounds amusing:
    All pre-purchasers will also receive a new Saved Game Converter for Crusader Kings II and a free copy of Crusader Kings II. This will read the details of a saved game from CKII and convert that into a game that can be played on Europa Universalis IV. Fans of CKII will be able to maintain the empires they have established and guide them through the age of exploration in all new strategic experience, continuing their personal stories of expansion and conquest.
    I wanna see how it ends up converting something like this:

And that's not even done yet!
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I was watching a guy stream this game on Twitch, Dunno how he was.

- - - Updated - - -

he's streaming right now actually:
    http://www.twitch.tv/quill18