Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I studied fantasy stuffs plenty last year and all I got was disappointment, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention this year we will see if my record is any different.

As far as TEs having disappointing follow up seasons, I just would like to express my undying hatred for Fred Davis

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Fred Davis
    Well to be at least minimally fair, Fred Davis was hurt at least, not just underperforming (which he did in the first 8 weeks he was in there averaging like 4 points per game).

The TE position sucks. You have about two consistent guys you can rely on (Witten and Gonzalez), Gronk who is ridiculously injury prone, and you can probably add Jimmy Graham to the consistent list barring an enormous meltdown this season. Witten doesn't score nearly as much as he should given that he catches 100+ freaking passes. After that it is a complete crapshoot.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-08-20 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Well to be at least minimally fair
    No, that's not how fantasy football works.

Fuck Fred Davis. That's how fantasy football works.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a beginner's conundrum. I've been doing mock drafts here and there, but I've been running into the restrictions of them. Usually the first 2-3 picks go allright but then people start leaving, after 5 rounds pretty much half the drafters are gone and it only gets worse after that. Rarely do I see people finish.

The problem this leads to is that I have no clue when normal people start drafting certain things. The computer players consistently seem to start drafting defences in round 8, with real players sometimes right behind, but sometimes, many, many rounds later. Same goes for kickers, though those tend to go later then the defences.

So what's the deal here? From the piecemeal analysis I've done I can't really tell what's the obvious right choice, so is that one of those draft things that every man decides for himself? Draft early or late?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I have a beginner's conundrum. I've been doing mock drafts here and there, but I've been running into the restrictions of them. Usually the first 2-3 picks go allright but then people start leaving, after 5 rounds pretty much half the drafters are gone and it only gets worse after that. Rarely do I see people finish.

The problem this leads to is that I have no clue when normal people start drafting certain things. The computer players consistently seem to start drafting defences in round 8, with real players sometimes right behind, but sometimes, many, many rounds later. Same goes for kickers, though those tend to go later then the defences.

So what's the deal here? From the piecemeal analysis I've done I can't really tell what's the obvious right choice, so is that one of those draft things that every man decides for himself? Draft early or late?
    Heh, I don't really care for mock drafts. The only thing thats set in stone is usually the first 5 picks. I have a cheat sheet of sleeper or risky picks that I've been jolting down while watching games and reading about people. Thats what makes or breaks fantasy imo. You can get AD, Foster, or Lynch and still bomb. I mean, Ray Rice after the first few games fell off quite a bit for me last year.

I draft a kicker last and draft a defense in the second to last round. There's always someone that scrapes together a reasonably competent defensive season that's available late.

15+ Year Old Account

Mock drafts are only useful for trending mostly and for possibly noticing sleepers. After the first two rounds or less you aren't picking against people like you said. As for drafting specific spots:
    RB: The most important position in fantasy. The drop after the first 12 or so guys is dramatic. If you miss out on a solid RB1 because you went QB/WR with your first two picks you are probably fucked unless you managed to snag a Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, or some other guy who explodes. Watch out for injury issues (Foster) or guys with questionable coaches/systems.
    QB: There are 6 elites, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Newton, RG3, and Brady. After that you get into Ryan, Romo, Wilson, Stafford, etc. territory where the difference between guys is far less dramatic. They should start coming off the board in late round 2, early round 3 and then scattered across the next couple rounds.
    WR: Calvin Johnson and everyone else really. There are tons of WR options, a decent amount of elite guys, and always guys taken in late rounds that pay off. Megatron is the only WR who should go in Round 1.
    TE: The only really early ones to go are Graham, Gronk, Gonzalez. Witten would be up there if he caught TDs. Then there are like 8 guys who will finish relatively close to each other.
    Defense: Someone always takes the trendy defense way too early, starts a run, and then screws everything up. In a perfect world defenses will start going in the 10th or 11th round. Won't happen. Someone will always take the trendy defense in like round 7 or 8.
    Kicker: Shouldn't go before the last round frankly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mock drafts are only useful for trending mostly and for possibly noticing sleepers. After the first two rounds or less you aren't picking against people like you said. As for drafting specific spots:
    RB: The most important position in fantasy. The drop after the first 12 or so guys is dramatic. If you miss out on a solid RB1 because you went QB/WR with your first two picks you are probably fucked unless you managed to snag a Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, or some other guy who explodes. Watch out for injury issues (Foster) or guys with questionable coaches/systems.
    QB: There are 6 elites, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Newton, RG3, and Brady. After that you get into Ryan, Romo, Wilson, Stafford, etc. territory where the difference between guys is far less dramatic. They should start coming off the board in late round 2, early round 3 and then scattered across the next couple rounds.
    WR: Calvin Johnson and everyone else really. There are tons of WR options, a decent amount of elite guys, and always guys taken in late rounds that pay off. Megatron is the only WR who should go in Round 1.
    TE: The only really early ones to go are Graham, Gronk, Gonzalez. Witten would be up there if he caught TDs. Then there are like 8 guys who will finish relatively close to each other.
    Defense: Someone always takes the trendy defense way too early, starts a run, and then screws everything up. In a perfect world defenses will start going in the 10th or 11th round. Won't happen. Someone will always take the trendy defense in like round 7 or 8.
    Kicker: Shouldn't go before the last round frankly.
    I'd come across most of this before, but not the defense bit. It explains why I see them go early usually, even by people who aren't autopicking.

I just did a mock draft where people were actually staying, and chatting while it was going on, and in that more realistic field I was able to get a group I was pretty happy with. Snagged Cam Newton, Lynch, Julio Jones, MJD, Torrey Smith, and Welker as my flex guy. On the downside, my bench was attrocious. In other mock drafts I'd been able to get Giovanni Bernard and the like for my bench, but not this time. Completely void of decent RB's for my bench. Ended up with some Carolina back & other assorted comitee and risk picks.

I think I see the value in what Vetali said after this. The top picks are easy enough, but it's the picks for your bench that will likely be what seperates a good draft from a bad one. I fear I won't be doing too well in that department. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    And tbh I was only good last year because of 1 trade. That one trade took me from mediocrity to the best record until late season. So its not really all about the draft. Ray Rice which was the number 1 pick was great until Jacoby Jones took over punt returning. One thing I do regret is taking a QB so late. Even though I ended up with RG3, that was pretty risky in hindsight.

I think a lot of my picks will make people wtf over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wilson is probably going to be somewhere in the 8-10 fantasy range if he has a good year, higher if he repeats what he did at the end of the season. Cam is going to be competing for the #1 fantasy QB spot. His fantasy potential is way too good to ever consider giving up unless you are getting something else back with Wilson (like a TE upgrade over Finley who I have almost no confidence in after finishing 18th last year going in as the 5th ranked TE).
    Yeah I picked up the new patriots TE, ESPN and NFL network had only good things to say about him. I'll probably start him til gronk gets back.

10+ Year Old Account
    League 2 needs some more sign ups. If anybody from league 1 wants to run two teams I'm fine with that.

Also draft times, still taking them. Otherwise I'll just work around time frames I have from people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    League 2 needs some more sign ups. If anybody from league 1 wants to run two teams I'm fine with that.

Also draft times, still taking them. Otherwise I'll just work around time frames I have from people.
    I'll do a second team with that league if no new people join.

With regard to draft times, I'm thinking I'm going to travel without a laptop, just a tablet - does anyone know if a Kindle Fire is capable of handling the NFL.com Fantasy Football drafting?

We're at seven teams in the league currently, and I know that eight people were invited. At this point, I don't know if that eighth person is going to be joining us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, I'll pencil you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    With regard to draft times, I'm thinking I'm going to travel without a laptop, just a tablet - does anyone know if a Kindle Fire is capable of handling the NFL.com Fantasy Football drafting?
    I'm not too sure. Does the kindle run off android? That'd be something to research.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazshax View Post
    We're at seven teams in the league currently, and I know that eight people were invited. At this point, I don't know if that eighth person is going to be joining us.
    Yeah I've been relaying with Alae, I'm not sure if we can get a full 10 man team for the second league unless interest suddenly spikes, or more people want to run in two leagues. At this point we both need to come up with draft times (I'm kinda waiting on Pendulous to get his schedule.) Since 5.4 got delayed I probably wont be raiding Monday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's a tool to check if your device can run the Draft thing, and you can always just enter a mock draft and see if it works (and if it's manageable that way)

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I'm not too sure. Does the kindle run off android? That'd be something to research.
    Not by default, but it can. I'll have to mess around with it beforehand and figure that out.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a tool to check if your device can run the Draft thing, and you can always just enter a mock draft and see if it works (and if it's manageable that way)
    Yeah, this is my intention. I don't have the tablet yet, so I was wondering if anyone knew offhand.

Thank you conscript, Celdiseth also expressed interest. So if we could get a third to fill another slot from the first league we'd have 10. Time is getting short to get everyone signed up and locked in with a draft time. I'll PM you both with info and hope someone interested lets me know here.

- - - Updated - - -

A reminder of who we have currently have signed up.. of the 7 people signed up only 5 completed the initial draft day survey. See responses below:

Second League-
    1- Alae ( All Heart )
    2- Mazshax ( Bloodbath and Beyond )
    3- fattyy22 ( Dezpicable Me )
    4- Brogrom ( Hernandez's Pistol Offense )
    5- Solidsteel ( The Sheriff's Department )
    6- Logonov ( Primeval )
    7- Celdiseth ( Fuzzy Bunny Slippers )
    8- Falconius ( Monday Morning Hangovers )
    9- conscript ( Post-Kickoff Commercial Break )
    10- LikeChips ???

Doesn't look like LikeChips is going to be signing up, so that slot is open.

In hindsight I should have put a section to have people include there team names so I knew who responded..... and who had issues with draft times. Doesn't seem to be a clear winner in terms of the date to host our draft either.
    Last edited by Alae; 2013-08-25 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alae View Post
    4- Brogrom ( Hernandez's Pistol Offense )
    LOL

Just let me know what you want to do about the guy that isn't signing up. I'd run two, but I did that last year and it was a bit much for me. Once we get everybody signed up and team names down I'm gonna redo the OP a bit. Got some cool ideas for that.

My schedule for this week changed a bit, and is nasty nasty nasty for trying to schedule the draft. I thought I would be off on 8/31 and 9/1, and I may still be. However if I end up working it is very unlikely that I could be on for the draft. I'll do my best to get my personalized draft settings entered in case I have to autodraft.

If you want a specific schedule to try to work with, let me know. I expect that would be more trouble than its worth though.