Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mesmer Leveling?

Hello, folks! As WoW has been giving me connection/latency woes lately, I decided to finally shell out the money, buy Guild Wars 2 and give it an honest spin. It looks like a very interesting game so far, and I've been trying out different ranged classes (can't play melee worth a damn) to see what would be more my style.

The Mesmer really caught my eye, as I like the idea of debuffing enemies and using temporary summons as distractions, but I hit a bit of snag. I just can't seem to kill stuff at my own level without my health dropping like a rock. I mean, one of the hyenas in the Charr starting area brings me down to half health before I manage to take them down. If two gang up on me for whatever reason, I usually find myself on the floor. I simply can't do enough damage quickly enough, since my own skills don't really add up to much and my clones/phantasms do close to zero damage. Meanwhile, my Ranger can take down three mobs at once and neither him nor his pet go below 70% health.

Sure, I'm still at level 4 and from what I read Mesmers are very much viable higher up, but it's kind of disheartening to see your early game go that badly. Is there anything I should be doing that's not immediately obvious? Is it meant to be like that and I should just grin and bear it until I reach a certain level? If yes, what would that level be?
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Deleted
    What weapon set are you using?

Either way you shouldn't be attacked by mobs. Your clones tank them.

clone generation is pretty low at his early level.

once you get to level 5 you'll get a utility skill. I recommend getting a skill that generates an illusion like decoy.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2013-08-14 at 04:07 PM.

I still have the Scepter + Pistol from the initial quest/event/thingie. Haven't found out where I can go to buy different weapons yet (literally started playing two nights ago).

And yes, when I read up on the Mesmer before buying the game I figured I should probably try to have my clones tanking stuff. But half the time the mob ignores them and their 0-damage attacks and makes a beeline for me. And when it doesn't (or more than one mob aggroes for some reason), the clones die with so much as stiff breeze and an ugly look.

I'll see if I can play to at least 5 tonight. What should I do once I get more clones? Just enjoy the extra tanking? Is shattering them worth them at some point while leveling?

Deleted
    Mesmer is really slow to pick up and doesn't really show their true colours until you're in level 80 exotics and have a decent build. Leveling does get easier around 40-50 though so just stick with it.

I really suggest checking out this guide on reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._a_mesmer_the/.

There are far too many "guides" out there that simply give you a level 80 build and assume it works.

In general, for all professions, make sure you're making good use of dodge and your heal skill. For mesmer, with scepter/pistol, you'll be generating clones on the 3rd attack in the skill 1 chain (so, don't interrupt the chain if you want the clone) and skill 2, and a phantasm with skill 4. Be sure to be shattering them (1 for damage, which is probably the best option, 2 for confusion, and 3 for dazing).

I've found that the AI tends to not ignore you for your clones unless you use one of the skills like Decoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just recently leveled a mesmer and so far this is the most fun class I've ever played hands down in any game. It is a bit tricky at first since it is so different and keep in mind it really blossoms after lvl 40 or so.

Here is a decent guide for leveling:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._a_mesmer_the/

Also, note that GW2 combat is different in that avoiding damage is as important as dealing it. The key is recognizing your foe's attack animation and timing your dodge. You may want to rebind the dodge key and definitely a good idea to practice dodging right away so you have it mastered in later levels and in dungeons.
    Valar morghulis

Swap weapons, dodge and kite.

Every class in GW2 essentially plays the same at a basic level. The strafe keys are the single most powerful keys one has access to throughout the entire game. Run circles around every mob while firing every skill off CD that is logical at that moment. There are few mobs in the game that are immune to kiting.

Nothing to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Swap weapons, dodge and kite.

Every class in GW2 essentially plays the same at a basic level. The strafe keys are the single most powerful keys one has access to throughout the entire game. Run circles around every mob while firing every skill off CD that is logical at that moment. There are few mobs in the game that are immune to kiting.

Nothing to it.
    I'm sure he's more interested in blowing shit up than kiting, Fencers. Mesmer has insane burst when played well.
    Valar morghulis

You blow monsters up while kiting though. Rarely do you have to stop moving in GW2. It's mostly all done on the move.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is where your post is singularly unhelpful. He is specifically asking how to blow things up, you are telling him 'do what is logical and kite'. He is asking for the specifics of the 'what is logical' part.
    Valar morghulis

Well Fencers is spot on though. The OP is new to the game. He has to learn these things if he wants to get further enjoyment out of the game. And it's not only blowing things up that he is having trouble with but leveling a mesmer in general.

BTW, OP, I recommend picking up a Greatsword. It has several abilities that will help you keep range and also provide clones as well. It's a good ranged leveling weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    This is where your post is singularly unhelpful. He is specifically asking how to blow things up, you are telling him 'do what is logical and kite'. He is asking for the specifics of the 'what is logical' part.
    Use damaging skills off CD. Pop everything.

I would assume that if the OP has played a ranger, he does know how to push his skill buttons. I would also assume since the OP is describing situations by which he is not only failing to deliver damage but survive that kiting/avoidance would go a long way to maximizing the application of DPS.

How does one achieve this goal?

1. Engage enemy
    2. Apply DPS skills
    3. Kite/circle strafe mob
    4. Apply DPS skills as they come off CD

Supposing one was only equipped with the Scepter/Pistol; Keys 1, 3, 4. Keys 2 and 5 as needed, block and stun respectively. Pop illusions when max number is reached.

Seems fairly logical- use damage skills, stay alive by kiting/movement using utility as needed. These are basic/core aspect to play of every profession in GW2 that I know of- which is to say, all.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-14 at 05:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would assume since the OP played a ranger that he already knows how to kite.

Rhandric gave helpful advice about interrupting your clones. You can only have 3 clones out at a time. By casting scepter again you dissolve one of your clones without causing damage. So you need to know when to shatter your clones for optimal damage or to put confusion on the enemy so it kills itself. That's a helpful post.
    Valar morghulis

Well... my question was more about whether I was missing out on something because the Ranger (Axe/Axe) kills stuff so much faster while barely needing any kiting when compared to the Mesmer. He just has more raw damage baked in most of his attacks (Ricochet, Splitblade, Path of Scars), while the pet holds enemies way better than the Mesmer's clones.

As a side note: maybe it's because I made a Charr and they feel pretty sluggish while running around (I know the speed is the same, it's a matter of animations), kiting doesn't feel terribly effective on the Mesmer (while the Ranger has Winter's Bite). Being able to do full DPS on the move (with fillers being autocast) is a really nice feature of this game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I would assume since the OP played a ranger that he already knows how to kite.
    One could assume so. However, he is also saying; I just can't seem to kill stuff at my own level without my health dropping like a rock.

Which implies a lack of... being alive.

Rhandric gave helpful advice about interrupting your clones.
    Indeed. Useful advice.

What exactly is your contention here?

As a side note: maybe it's because I made a Charr and they feel pretty sluggish while running around (I know the speed is the same, it's a matter of animations), kiting doesn't feel terribly effective on the Mesmer (while the Ranger has Winter's Bite). Being able to do full DPS on the move (with fillers being autocast) is a really nice feature of this game, though.
    Try to use a few of the other conditions you can apply as a Mesmer to help out in that regard. Confusion and dazing can be powerful. Later on, you will have more ways to drop aggro via clones and also more stuns to stunt the level of damage you have to soak.

I tend to play melee Mesmer myself as sword/sword. Which is a fairly "tank-y" build in all honesty. Though much of that survival is rooted in how I time my stuns, interrupts and so forth.

At level 4, you might not have access to that right away.

If weapon choice is a problem, port to the mists and take the portal to LA. Buy some weapons and then go from there. It's a pretty quick process. At least it will give you more options. Or at worse, spend a few mins in the mists trying out all the weapons & skills for free as a level 80 Mesmer. Will give you a clearer picture of their weapon kits, IMO.

The mists is accessed via the crossed swords icon in the menu bar.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-14 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Yeah since the Charr and Norn have quite a bit bigger frames their movement will feel slower in order for them to keep the same speed as the rest of the races. It's really just perception though.

I think if you change your weapons that will help you. Also keep in mind that Rangers are probably the easiest class to level while Mesmers is one of the most challenging (relative to the other classes). So you are kind of playing opposite types of classes. But mastering the basics of combat with movement and dodging is good to have for any class.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    If weapon choice is a problem, port to the mists and take the portal to LA. Buy some weapons and then go from there. It's a pretty quick process. At least it will give you more options. Or at worse, spend a few mins in the mists trying out all the weapons & skills for free as a level 80 Mesmer. Will give you a clearer picture of their weapon kits, IMO.

The mists is accessed via the crossed swords icon in the menu bar.
    Oh, thank you so very much for that! I've read people talking about going to the "mists" all over the place but had no idea how to do that myself!

I was really hoping to play a ranged condition-heavy Mesmer, mostly because I really like damage over time and debuffing in general. I would play an Affliction Warlock on WoW if the available races and AoE mechanics cooperated (another point for GW2!). I guess I'd need a Staff for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Yeah since the Charr and Norn have quite a bit bigger frames their movement will feel slower in order for them to keep the same speed as the rest of the races. It's really just perception though.
    Yeah, I get that with any larger-than-normal race in most games. Playing a male Draenei on WoW when someone popped Heroism made me feel like I was walking on the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I think if you change your weapons that will help you. Also keep in mind that Rangers are probably the easiest class to level while Mesmers is one of the most challenging (relative to the other classes). So you are kind of playing opposite types of classes. But mastering the basics of combat with movement and dodging is good to have for any class.
    Well, I can understand some classes being easier to level than others, but damn it was really night and day when I started the Ranger. Still, I'll keep at it with the Mesmer. Hopefully it'll turn out better once I get different weapons to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post

I was really hoping to play a ranged condition-heavy Mesmer, mostly because I really like damage over time and debuffing in general. I would play an Affliction Warlock on WoW if the available races and AoE mechanics cooperated (another point for GW2!). I guess I'd need a Staff for that?
    The two heavy condition based classes are really the Necromancer and the Engineer.

Mesmer does have conditions of course, mostly confusion, but it is a bit more random. Staff for Mesmer has some good tools but it's mostly used for Chaos Armor and Chaos Storm (staff 4 and 5 skills). Storm is an aoe that puts random condition on foes, Armor gives you random boons and anyone attacking you will get random conditions. It also has a teleport skill to help you get out of trouble. I do find the staff a bit underwhelming though, except for Chaos Storm.

I actually rolled a Necromancer. Two things sprang to mind very quickly:

1 - That alternate form Necromancers get (Death Shroud?) feels like it would be a pain to manage;
    and
    2 - HOLY HELL WHAT'S THAT UGLY THING FLOATING BESIDES ME? Oh, it's friendly? Geez!

Well, I guess I should give it another chance.