Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Prot Pallys and legendary cloak/meta come 5.4

Hey all was just wondering come 5.4 what is everyone going to be using?

I currently tank ToT 10HC - Possibly swapping to 25HC for SoO - I've got the DPS Meta gem + DPS cloak, with the nerf (40% less procs for tanks) it sounds like it's gonna suck.. Still i don't feel like swapping to the tanking versions cause well you shouldn't aim to die in the first place (cloak proc)...

So yeah post your thoughts / what you'll be using come 5.4 - i think i'm gonna stick w/ dps cloak/meta but honestly it all depends how it looks come patch day.

i might switch the gem, but ill keep the dps cloak, just sad to get a legendary that dosent feel legenday at all, but the stats and proc on the tanking cloak are just not my taste

10+ Year Old Account
    Tank cloak man, I've had a few fights in heroics where you have no minor or major CD's and the healers aren't expecting it and all of a sudden you die in crazy burst, its just a nice way to give healers an extra second to get a cast off on you and save a b rez, sure you shouldn't die in the first place but even in top guilds you still have people die once in a while, better safe than sorry, and for the meta gem that seems more of what your team needs, if you are lacking dps and that helps you hit enrage timers or kill adds fast enough go for it, but if you notice you seem squishy or its difficult for heals go with tank meta.

and forgot about stats, but if you think stats are better than a guardian angel every minute go with it.

Capacitive Primal Diamond, and Legendary melee cloaks (Fen-Yu, Fury of Xuen, and Gong-Lu, Strength of Xuen) now have a 40% reduced chance to activate its effects for characters that are in a tanking specialization.
    Wouldn't switching to the tank cloak be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodydemize View Post
    snip
    It's every two minutes, and there are hardly any fights in SoO where the boss does crazy huge swings that'll oneshot you. In fact, speaking purely arbitrarily, if you are at 10% health, receive a melee hit for 8% of your health, you receive some HoT or whatever and are now at 5% health, then receive two hits for 6% of your health in quick succession (an add or something), you will die.

The meta is currently 10% of my dmg in a full ToT HC clear, so after the patch it will be like 6% i guess, and i think its still fine instead of the tank meta, that gives you some not very needed survavibility. In my opinion if you play properly you are not really in any danger of dying so i find the tank meta a bit wasted. And I belive that this will be the case with the back aswell.
    Long story short, I'm kinda sure I'll be going for the dps back and keep the dps meta.

Might be switching to the tank meta with the changes, but there's no way in hell regardless of the proc that I'll be going for the tank cloak. There's already a massive thread about the cloaks on these forums somewhere where most people just dismissed the proc's for the stats on the cloak alone.

Deleted
    IMO the nerf to the cloak was needed.

It is currently dealing 200% of your AP as damage. (20%*10, and that up to 5 mobs)
    With this nerf they simply reached that tanks won't benefit from it more than others.
    Also don't forget that switching out a cloak on a fight basis is much easier than a meta-gem.
    (As after 5.4 you can have multiple of them.)

But the nerf to the meta is rather lame. Thankfully they buffed the tanking one enough that it isn't bad.

I will go with the tank-meta + dps-cloak combo more than likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    tanking meta still seems pretty lame <_<', could have atleast increased the stamina on it.

Tanking meta will be useful (especially now that it's 20% to ALL damage) with its uptime of ~65%+. Will still be able to swap to Cap meta for ranking, or for tight enrages, but on early HC-progression I'll be using the tank meta. Cap meta is ~8% of damage in a 10HC clear now, but keep in mind that V levels will be a tad lower with the changes, and 40% fewer procs will put it ~5%. Not bad, but outshined by having an extra DivProt up 65% of the time.

Add to that, with new UbS changes (and CDR trinket) you can have ACTUAL DivProt up ~45% of the time too...

Cloak wise, I'll probably get both, but will likely use the DPS one more than AD one (10H POV, again). If the AD cape was still 1min CD then MAYBE it'd be a tougher call, but currently I just don't see how you'd be better off using it in most cases. Seems more of an "oops-eraser" than a legendary, and I don't really want to gear around planning how to recover from mistakes, personally. May change in week 1 of HC content though.

The cloak proc WAS shaping up to be insane with high-V tho...around 1.2mil dmg PER TARGET per proc. We'll still hit that hard, just ~0.95 PPM instead of ~1.55 (or whatever it was).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by cetraben View Post
    For me it would most likely be DPS meta gem, Tank Cloak. The Tanking meta gem just isn't attractive enough and is too RNG to provide any survival boost that would be noticeable.
    Err...wat?

Tank meta is 20% to magic AND physical, and has a 65%+ uptime. That's like saying you CBA pressing DivProt becuase it's not attractive enough.

And yet the tank cloak, on a 2min CD is worth giving up the cleave proc?

I don't follow your train of thought on that TBH. Esp since you raid 25s.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Based on my teams strengths and weaknesses I'll have the tanking meta gem and I'll wear the 600 dps cloak and have the legendary tank cloak on standby. I will start fights wearing the dps cloak until I find that tank deaths are an issue that the tanking cloak will help with. Once I have enough gold I'll upgrade the DPS cloak.

since i raid 25man i will probably go for tank meta dps cloak, i'm gona check the dps meta for the start and check the dmg if is bellow 10% gona change it for sure , as for the tanking cape is just purely bullshit 2min cd on it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like something that reduces all damage by 20% and has such a high uptime will be a significant enough contribution to damage reduction / smoothness and will probably allow more atonement healing to overcome the reduced dmg output of the DPS LMG. I could probably do some maths to figure out which contributes to better overall Raid DPS.

The fact that tanks are outright passing over such a high uptime total reduction in dmg is kind of disconcerting. Especially given most healing classes increased ability to simultaneously heal/DPS in MoP.

- - - Updated - - -

I gave this some more thought: The tank LMG + UbS + CD reduction trinket seems borderline broken. You nearly guarantee >= 80% uptime of a flat reduction of 20% incoming damage.

LMG proc - 15 secs of reduction
    pop DP - 10 seconds of more reduction
    ~ 3-5 seconds of downtime
    LMG should repop - 15 seconds
    DP comes off of CD.

This should be a damage smoothness wet dream.

Deleted
    I just figured out what LMG means, I feel dumb now. Before I was wondering what you were referring to as Light Machine Gun...

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently using both DPS items, and I plan to switch to both the tank ones come 5.4. The tank meta is gonna get buffed enough that the proc will matter (and as Gerus said, nice going with that and DP+CD trinket), as for the cloak well, I was dubious I must admit. But then I remembered what having the real (first version) Ardent Defender meant. I'm not gonna pass on that, no way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I just figured out what LMG means, I feel dumb now. Before I was wondering what you were referring to as Light Machine Gun...
    Don't worry, it took me a while to figure it out too. I think it was like monday or so when I finally caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerus View Post
    I gave this some more thought: The tank LMG + UbS + CD reduction trinket seems borderline broken. You nearly guarantee >= 80% uptime of a flat reduction of 20% incoming damage.

LMG proc - 15 secs of reduction
    pop DP - 10 seconds of more reduction
    ~ 3-5 seconds of downtime
    LMG should repop - 15 seconds
    DP comes off of CD.

This should be a damage smoothness wet dream.
    Yep, PD and I were working this out in the other thread, and came to the same conclusions. It's basically a flat 20% ALL THE TIME. Add in the insanity that is t154pc + UbS/trinket DivProt and it gets even sillier with ShotR uptimes.

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    I'm currently using both DPS items, and I plan to switch to both the tank ones come 5.4. The tank meta is gonna get buffed enough that the proc will matter (and as Gerus said, nice going with that and DP+CD trinket), as for the cloak well, I was dubious I must admit. But then I remembered what having the real (first version) Ardent Defender meant. I'm not gonna pass on that, no way.
    But...this isn't AD. There is no additional DR nor healing associated with the proc. It just absorbs a hit. Once every 2 minutes. If you're at 25% HP, get hit for 30%, you remain at 25%. It's not a stellar proc, and I've been trying to get some visibility on an update on the official forums about making it suck less.
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    DPS cloak and tanking meta I'm thinking, the stats on the tanking one are just too awful to justify using it (40% nerf to the proc rates of the dps legendaries is pretty appropriate considering tanks already have anywhere from the 2x to 10x the AP of a phys dps class).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    But...this isn't AD. There is no additional DR nor healing associated with the proc. It just absorbs a hit. Once every 2 minutes. If you're at 25% HP, get hit for 30%, you remain at 25%. It's not a stellar proc, and I've been trying to get some visibility on an update on the official forums about making it suck less.
    Yes, you remain at 25%. But exactly because this isn't AD, if you are at 80% and get hit by an instant kill mechanic you remain at 80%. I'm not planning to avoid melee hits, I'm planning to careface wipe mechanics because of it. And it's passive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.