View Poll Results: We NEED new character models ASAP!

Voters
382. This poll is closed
  • Yes! I want new vanilla models immediately!

338 88.48%
  • No! We can wait a bit longer. I'd prefer 2 new races instead.

44 11.52%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Don't really see the point of this. Blizzard are already working on new models, most of them are probably finished.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really expect new race models at Blizzcon like others have said, however I'm not a big fan on new races, we have enough already tbh, I want something new for a change besides a pattern (new races, new class, new races, new class and race), I want new race models and more focus on content rather than spending a little time on starting zones and then content. Without new races there's more room for end game content and leveling content for 90-95 (or 100 hopefully because I want a 10 level expansion again)

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    Don't really see the point of this. Blizzard are already working on new models, most of them are probably finished.

True. That said, I dunno if they're done with most of them, but I think they're done with quite a few already. But eh, discussion, I guess?

And I doubt that, even if people kept saying "gameplay>graphics" that Blizzard would suddenly stop their work on the new models. There was enough demand for them to start working on the models in the first place. I think that says enough? :P

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    We need a third option in this poll:

c) neither, lets focus on amazingly good 90-100 content instead.
    Lets be honest here, it doesn't require a LOT of resources to upgrade models. They are doing them very slowly, so that tells me they are more focused on gameplay and with the new expansion around the corner, resources used to make a new playable race, are gonna be shifted to update the models. In the end, I doubt that much focus shifted away from gameplay. Also why not both?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Uhm, we know? Vanilla is getting updated..taking priority over everything else.
    Really? I've heard nothing of it taking top priority. Got any proof to back that up other then a few blues saying "It's still on the schedule?"

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    Exactly why I don't get the people who claim "I'll give up new races just to have them." They're likely done and ready for the Blizzcon reveal. There's no reason to give Blizz the idea that "we can pass these rehashes off as new content, skip new races, and get away with it. It's like Cataclysm only foolproof."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Why compromise?

They've been working on these models since Blizzcon 2011 at least. 2.5 years to make new models is easy, especially if they had 1 race done and 2 more in progress by early last year.

New models are also easy enough to make, they require fewer resources than a new race. I won't be satisfied with an excuse of "the new models meant no time to make races or a class."
    New models require new concept art, new skeletons, new rigging, new models themselves and new textures. They also require testing with EVERY combination of armor model in-game. Furthermore, they have to pass the most important test; Players must like them.

A new race requires every single one of those things - from the art department. Same amount of work. With the exception that a new race is starting fresh and remodels of ten year old races is attempting to meet a decade of player investment and expectations.

As for having a race done? They said the Dwarf model was the closest to being done, however this was before the Pandaren race was released.A Great Dwarf model back then could have looked like second-gen Thrall now; nice but nowhere near Pandaren level.

Don't just assume that something is either easy or hard based on the idea that a model exists. If it were that easy, we would be getting retextured characters, not new models.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Also, while I agree this trailer *once again* showed up the new models; Trailers have been doing that for a good amount of time at this point.
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I wonder when people are gonna stop using that argument.. Sigh.
    When it stops being a realistic one? The vast vast majority of players in this game spend nearly 100% of their in-game time looking at their characters asses. Covered in armor. New player models would be neat, as would new animations, but the 'oh cool' factor would be incredibly short lived.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen. Just as armor has gotten increasingly better textures and more detailed from 1 expansion to the next, models do deserve the same treatment. It simply the game changing aspect it's made out to be. How many people even notice anymore how much improved in-game water is now vs years back?

Either way, if aesthetic value did not matter, then why transmog anyway?
    Because the models are covered in gear. Hence, what my armor looks like is more important than what my character model looks like.

I wonder when people are gonna stop using that argument.. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that, not long after the new models, they'll also make new geosets, 3D models for armor because the new player models will very likely be more compatible with that (plus, if they wanted to do it anyway, they'd have to wait for the overhaul to avoid having to update the armor again when the new player models hit)

Plus, I'd like to be able to play without a helm covering my character's pixel-y head.

But eh, for me, there are only positives. I'm a role-player. I spend a lot of time on my character.

Either way, if aesthetic value did not matter, then why transmog anyway?
    Well i've not read a lot of these threads so I was making my own opinion known rather than just repeating what others may have said... If a lot of others are saying it then maybe there's a reason for that.

Transomg is different... You actually notice transmog even while fighting a boss. It completely changes the appearane of the character to the point you know whos who just by their armor looks... That's not true of a few extra pixels on a face.

Exactly why I don't get the people who claim "I'll give up new races just to have them." They're likely done and ready for the Blizzcon reveal. There's no reason to give Blizz the idea that "we can pass these rehashes off as new content, skip new races, and get away with it. It's like Cataclysm only foolproof."

Eh, I wouldn't say they're done. I have no way of knowing, of course. But I think saying they're done is underestimating the work. It's not like it's a task of EPIC PROPORTIONS, but it's certainly not easy. At the very least, I expect the draenei and blood elf models to be unfinished.

For sure the game needs new models over new race.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    New models require new concept art, new skeletons, new rigging, new models themselves and new textures. They also require testing with EVERY combination of armor model in-game. Furthermore, they have to pass the most important test; Players must like them.

A new race requires every single one of those things - from the art department. Same amount of work. With the exception that a new race is starting fresh and remodels of ten year old races is attempting to meet a decade of player investment and expectations.

As for having a race done? They said the Dwarf model was the closest to being done, however this was before the Pandaren race was released.A Great Dwarf model back then could have looked like second-gen Thrall now; nice but nowhere near Pandaren level.

Don't just assume that something is either easy or hard based on the idea that a model exists. If it were that easy, we would be getting retextured characters, not new models.

Also, while I agree this trailer *once again* showed up the new models; Trailers have been doing that for a good amount of time at this point.
    The Orc model is done. Just look at Garrosh.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it stops being a realistic one? The vast vast majority of players in this game spend nearly 100% of their in-game time looking at their characters asses. Covered in armor. New player models would be neat, as would new animations, but the 'oh cool' factor would be incredibly short lived.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen. Just as armor has gotten increasingly better textures and more detailed from 1 expansion to the next, models do deserve the same treatment. It simply the game changing aspect it's made out to be. How many people even notice anymore how much improved in-game water is now vs years back?

Because the models are covered in gear. Hence, what my armor looks like is more important than what my character model looks like.
    Keep in mind; When Blizzard redoes the Vanilla models, that will include all of the NPCs as well. Just like the Goblin and Worgen NPCs and enemies also got new models after Cataclysm.

So it won't just be your character, it will be every playable race's NPC as well.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post

Eh, I wouldn't say they're done. I have no way of knowing, of course. But I think saying they're done is underestimating the work. It's not like it's a task of EPIC PROPORTIONS, but it's certainly not easy. At the very least, I expect the draenei and blood elf models to be unfinished.
    tossing Anj at the top so he can see this as well.

Model revamps require less concept art than a new race, and also require only skeleton, modeling, and animations.

A whole new race requires the above, and even more concept art. Plus a 1-13 experience that details their racial situation, a little slice of their own land in old capitals, all sorts of quests, doodads, zones, class choices, and even daily balancing.

I'm fine if they give us a single neutral race and the model updates, but I don't think claiming the models are a reason to have no class or races will fly. I think some players, especially on here, will be happy. But the layplayer will look at it and say "didn't we just have a discussion about rehashes not being a replacement for new content 2 years ago?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    The Orc model is done. Just look at Garrosh.
    There was talk the Dwarves were done already by the MoP press event, and that Orc/Human was underway. Well 3/8 in progress by release was a huge progress.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    tossing Anj at the top so he can see this as well.

Model revamps require less concept art than a new race, and also require only skeleton, modeling, and animations.

A whole new race requires the above, and even more concept art. Plus a 1-13 experience that details their racial situation, a little slice of their own land in old capitals, all sorts of quests, doodads, zones, class choices, and even daily balancing.

I'm fine if they give us a single neutral race and the model updates, but I don't think claiming the models are a reason to have no class or races will fly. I think some players, especially on here, will be happy. But the layplayer will look at it and say "didn't we just have a discussion about rehashes not being a replacement for new content 2 years ago?"
    My argument has always been that new models take up the design space for 2 new races. Thus, Blizzard will introduce the 12th class next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Well i've not read a lot of these threads so I was making my own opinion known rather than just repeating what others may have said... If a lot of others are saying it then maybe there's a reason for that.

Transomg is different... You actually notice transmog even while fighting a boss. It completely changes the appearane of the character to the point you know whos who just by their armor looks... That's not true of a few extra pixels on a face.

We know new models will at the very least make the animations way better. Very probably, they will also usher in more armor models for other slots besides the belt, shoulder and helm slots. At the very least, they could mark the addition of new armor geosets. And a lot of people saying something doesn't make it any more right or wrong. It could mean that a lot of people are right, or that a lot of people are wrong.

No, there are many people, even those who don't RP who care about what their character looks like. On an overall scale, it improves WoW. Animations, possibly more 3D armor, etc. Sure, it's not the most game-changing decision for the majority, but it's still a necessary one. On top of that, the model update will likely happen only once. So it's a once in a lifetime overhaul compared to all the new content we are being given per patch.

Aside from that, they handle it in a way that it doesn't halt/remove/break any other new content that isn't related to it. That is why they are taking their time. However, there is also a limit to taking your time and suspending people's patience. If they don't show anything at Blizzcon2013, my patience will have reached its limit, sadly. (But that's of course on a personal level)

EDIT: Probably contradicted myself a tree fiddy times. Ah-well.
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2013-08-15 at 08:00 PM.

Aside from that, they handle it in a way that it doesn't halt/remove/break any other new content that isn't related to it. That is why they are taking their time. However, there is also a limit to taking your time and suspending people's patience. If they don't show anything at Blizzcon2013, my patience will have reached its limit, sadly. (But that's of course on a personal level)
    Blizzcon can't get here faster. Why did they have to do in November...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like new character models but lets face it.... when you are actually playing the game how often do you actually see the detail of your characters face ? You spend the whole time you are actually playing the game looking at the back of your characters head and so detail of the face is pretty pointless.
    More polygons for Draenei bums (and tails!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Blizzcon can't get here faster. Why did they have to do in November...
    Right? They're doing it late this year, who knows why. I just wish Blizzcon tickets didn't sell out so fast..

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I'd like new character models but lets face it.... when you are actually playing the game how often do you actually see the detail of your characters face ? You spend the whole time you are actually playing the game looking at the back of your characters head and so detail of the face is pretty pointless.

The only time improved character detail is going to be noticed is when you are afking in cities staring at your character or on the login screen,
    Yet that is not how people work. Yes most of the time you will see their back, but you also spend a lot of time running past player characters, interacting with NPCs with older models, etc. It also doesn't help that there is starting to be a noticeable graphical gap between the world around your character as well. So you have this constant reminder of everything but your character looks nice and people go "I want my toon to look better". If they can make updated models without taking too much time away from other content (which I believe that is what they are doing), then why not do it?