Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Air or Water Cooling?

Hello guys, I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, but I`m thinking of trying Water Cooling, but I`m new on that area.
    I would like something at 50-60$ budget, so if someone can help me on which one I should get, I appreciate that.

I got a Haswell i5 4670k which I aim to OC to 4,5ghz, I had a i5 3570k at 4,5ghz on 212 EVO and never had any problem with.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Your not going to get anything worth while at that price in "water cooling" either get a h100i or NH-D14. Proper water cooling starts at the $300 price point (if you in the us and shop around).

Also what is your current frequency and vcore on that haswell chip? If you get a terrible chip it isn't happening (or your looking at delidding).
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Deleted
    Sure he can get something worthwhile:

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 $58 || Review
    Corsair H60 $55-60 || Review

They're not super high end but they will do just fine, 4.4-4.5GHz shouldn't be an issue assuming the chip itself is able to.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did one of those recently. Definitely dropped my temps on the CPU. Had to modify my case (case is like 5 yrs old computer inside isnt though lol).

VERY happy with it

Just curious why you're switching. I've been reading a lot about this tonight and everything I've read says that your current cooler should work fine. Is there a particular reason?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Just curious why you're switching. I've been reading a lot about this tonight and everything I've read says that your current cooler should work fine. Is there a particular reason?
    Probably because Haswell runs hotter than IB or SB (sometimes as much as 10 Centigrade hotter), and the EVO, whilst a very good budget cooler, is still a budget cooler.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Sure he can get something worthwhile:

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 $58 || Review
    Corsair H60 $55-60 || Review

They're not super high end but they will do just fine, 4.4-4.5GHz shouldn't be an issue assuming the chip itself is able to.
    tbh with haswell running hot i think it would be in the OP's best interest to look more in the higher end segment. (besides a good cooler now = good cooler for future builds aswell)
    also OP what kind of case do you have?

Deleted
    That may sounds a weird reason but I should trasfer at end of the year, and I want to bring my PC, I will plastic bubble all the shit, but EVO air cooler is heavy and big, it may damage something.

Also, I never did Water Cooling, I want to try it out, and see how it performs vs an Air Cooler, and of course, why not the aesthetics reason of having it.
    I had in mind a Corsair H60, it`s quite cheap on Newegg and have lots of good reviews, actually 5 stars.

I got my EVO 212 at Microcenter, and the price over there are much more expensive than Newegg`s ones.

So, let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    tbh with haswell running hot i think it would be in the OP's best interest to look more in the higher end segment.
    Definitely. I'm just saying he can actually get something decent with his current budget and be able to overclock to 4.4-4.5GHz which is what he was asking for. slasher0161 made it sound like (to me anyways) that it wasn't really possible without a high end cooler.

I think you guys might have misunderstood. What I was reading was specifically about overclocking Haswell's on overclocking sites. There's plenty of people who use the EVO and maintain acceptable temperatures.

Care to share some links? I'm interested in how high they overclocked and at what temperatures they are running
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Care to share some links? I'm interested in how high they overclocked and at what temperatures they are running
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...ood-4670k.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/1400213/a...#post_20179293

To name a couple. I'm not going to go back through all the websites I visited last night.

Deleted
    Well he currently own the EVO so should be easy enough to test and if it's not enough to get what he wants he can still buy something else, besides he said he wanted to try liquid cooling both for performance and aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Well he currently own the EVO so should be easy enough to test and if it's not enough to get what he wants he can still buy something else, besides he said he wanted to try liquid cooling both for performance and aesthetics.
    Yeah, I was just wondering if he had any specific problems with the EVO because I'm probably going to go get one tonight and wanted another opinion. Sounds like from his response that he didn't have any problems, he's just worried about it damaging something in a move.

On that budget I'd stick with a high-end air cooler. Or wait and get the h100i for ~$100. Full water cooling (tubing, reservoir, pump, clamps, radiator, block(s)) can be pretty pricey and is several times higher than budget. Benefit is only a couple degrees over the h100i anyway assuming it's set up properly, which is not certain with a rookie install.

To name a couple. I'm not going to go back through all the websites I visited last night.
    The first link actually has no proof.
    The second link points straight to a guy running 80 °C at stock speeds with the EVO. With the silver arrow extreme I'm getting those temps at 4.5 ghz. Definitely not good.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Bah I was hoping for something more substantial. In both links single person says that Evo 212 might handle the heat if the chip is good. Noone really says that they overclocked nicely with Evo 212. In second link it's countered by OP stating that his 4670k is already running at 80C at stock speed with evo 212. All the search results on it show people encouraging to buy better cooler or that Evo may handle slight overclock if the chip is good. I wish that was true, but I'm afraid it's not

Oh well, I hope the OP will give us some real info after he tries.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted
    Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro $50 after rebate

Deleted
    I already have the EVO 212, bought at Microcenter, but the Water Coolers are quite expensive there, so I have to order from Newegg, which is gonna take few days to deliver. I want mount it now. I had in mind of getting a Corsair H60, anyone had good experience with it?
    I got a C70 Corsair Vengeance Case, good air flow, plus the PC is gonna stand next to the AC exit.
    I want to bring the PC with me in the plane, full of air bubble everywhere, you think it still would be safe having a Water Cooling?

I've got my 2700k clocked to 4.8ghz staying under 65c at full load with NH-D14. Water cooling in most situations is a waste. ESP closed loop systems. Its more for looks than anything else.