Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Racism!!! are people too sensitive these days??

I got a question about racism

First of all why is it if you say a black person looks like an animal that is considered racists.
    But if you say a white person looks like an animal its perfectly fine.
    Is it because black people are too sensitive?

there was this incident here in australia where a 14 year old girl was watching the football game and said one of the black players looks like an ape
    he actually did look like one, not because he was black but because he didnt shave and looked like someone from planet of the apes.
    That guy went crazy and started screaming at the girl.
    Now reverse the role and lets pretend there was a white player who hadnt shaved n looked like an ape and she called him that, nobody would care that she called him that.

Do black people just use the racism card whenever they are mistreated??
    Isnt everyone equal??
    So it shouldnt matter if somebody is black or white, if they have features that make them look like a certain animal it shouldnt be labelled racists just because he's black.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?biw=...77&tx=97&ty=30

that is a picture of a bird looking like nicolas cage, which is not racists because his white apparantly.
    Last edited by superstarz; 2013-08-09 at 10:40 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    ignorance is still ignorant even in the form of a question.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    ignorance is still ignorant even in the form of a question.
    how is it ignorance, im asking a simple question.
    why is saying a black person looks like an animal racists
    but saying a white person looks like an animal is perfectly fine?

Do people overuse the "omg racist!" thing? Probably.

Are they sometimes justified? Probably.

I don't see how we can have a discussion when the OP doesn't quite understand (or is oblivious to...) the whole issue though...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Well I work with two guys that look like animals. One is white with piggy features with a big snout, we call him "Pigsy", my best friend is black and genuinely looks like a gorilla, he is fucking massive, I call him monkey trouble.

Deleted
    I think all Humans are animals and some are dumb and have prejudices.

Some complain on threads on the internet and some people are al sharpton.
    Well humans do look like Apes monkey on the other Hand i would take great offense in that.

Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    Now reverse the role and lets pretend there was a white player who hadnt shaved n looked like an ape and she called him that, nobody would care that she called him that.
    The thing is you have to pretend to make this argument because the reverse doesn't happen as often.

In your opinion he looked like an ape simply because he didn't shave. But the question would be why she meant it. It doesn't matter if you interpret it as being nice, what matters is the intent of the person that said it. I don't personally know her or the story so I can't say which one she meant either.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    for insight into why racism is still relevant, watch some old footage of fire hosings and lynchings, and then review some of the gerrymandered districts in the south....Racism is alive and well in America.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

If you have to ask odds are it's prob racist

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't tell if this is a troll post.. it certainly looks like one.. there's a difference between racism and stereotyping, you can make jokes about people or think you are actually above someone because of the way they look.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Do people overuse the "omg racist!" thing? Probably.

Are they sometimes justified? Probably.

I don't see how we can have a discussion when the OP doesn't quite understand (or is oblivious to...) the whole issue though...

how am i oblivious to the issue?
    if everyone is equal doesnt matter what colour skin they have.

its just like that episode in south park,
    where cartman hits tobey(the black kid)
    and its a hate crime but if he hit a white kid its not a hate crime.

are black people just too sensitive. this isnt the 60's anymore its 2013

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop and Frisk, enuf said.

http://www.nyclu.org/issues/racial-j...risk-practices

Racism is still present, especially in the US's socio-political system, where white putrid neophytes dominate.

Deleted

Token, His full name is Token Black for obvious reasons.

Referring to a black person as an "ape" or "monkey" etc. is generally considered a racial epithet. Calling a white person a "bird" is not. It's not just calling them an animal...but the specific reference to an ape that gets people's jimmy's rustled. If she had said "that man looks like an albatross." A) Nobody would fucking get it and think the kid is stupid. B) Nobody would even remotely think it's racist.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Stop and Frisk, enuf said.

http://www.nyclu.org/issues/racial-j...risk-practices

Racism is still present, especially in the US's socio-political system, where white putrid neophytes dominate.
    so if police frisk a black man its racists, ok got it thanks for clearing it up.

only white people can be frisked..

10+ Year Old Account
    I firmly believe that people are WAY to sensitive about racism, among other things relating to so-called 'political correctness'. It's almost as if people go out of their way to find something to be offended about these days. Just suck it up and move on, don't let other people get you down.

I think a lot of people are too quick to play the '-ist' trump card as a way to win a discussion/argument over something, in similar vein as the knee-jerk response of litigiousness to a situation. Society as a whole is I think oversensitive to discrimination and/or oppression and so going that route when faced with a problem is seen as an easy way to get what you want.

This reminds me of a story my spouse told me while he was in the military. One of the soldiers going through Basic training with him was asked which Sergeant gave him instructions to do something. He stated the guy's last name, which happened to be the same last name as another Sgt. So he was asked which of the two it was, and thinking quickly, he responded, "The black one." The other one was white. He was immediately punished for racism. Why? If he had said, "The white one," nothing would have been done to him. The biggest difference between the two were their skin tones, and that's what the guy used to describe the Sgt. that had given him instructions. Because it happened to be the dark-skinned Sgt, he got into trouble.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

10+ Year Old Account
    so if police frisk a black man its racists, ok got it thanks for clearing it up.

only white people can be frisked..
    I also provided a link explaining the racial profiling, and the amount of black/latinos that were "frisked" compared to white/italian/jewish population.

There is a difference.

It shows the relatively high levels of fear we have toward Blacks, Latino, and Middle Easterners.