Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am trying to do this trial but it keeps telling me my account is inactive. The FAQ says anyone can do it even if they did a trial before...But apparently that is not actually the case. If this is still happening after work I may just create a new account with my old school email.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I got an update from their support function-straight up said if I want to play in the free trial, I'll have to create a new email address, as we are not allowed to sign up for the trial with an email linked to a GW1 account. That's totally awesome how I'm penalized because I played their previous game, just lovely. If that's the kind of support Anet currently shows for it's longtime players, I guess Guild Wars 2 probably isn't the game for me.
    That is not what the FAQ for the trial says, it says anyone can participate. Sigh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh cry me a river, so you have to register a new account for a trial, that'll take 2 minutes. Such a trivial problem, the bigger problem is not Anets support, its the game itself being pretty darn dull after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Oh cry me a river, so you have to register a new account for a trial, that'll take 2 minutes. Such a trivial problem, the bigger problem is not Anets support, its the game itself being pretty darn dull after a while.
    Don't be a dick.

Its not the time it takes to do it, its the principal of not being able to use my account when they said I could use my account. Also what about any characters I might have already had? And then what happens if there's another free trial later? Will I have to create a third account then? And what if I actually want to pay for the game? What if I forget what random email address I had to use to create the account is since I couldn't use my email?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Don't be a dick.

Its not the time it takes to do it, its the principal of not being able to use my account when they said I could use my account. Also what about any characters I might have already had? And then what happens if there's another free trial later? Will I have to create a third account then? And what if I actually want to pay for the game? What if I forget what random email address I had to use to create the account is since I couldn't use my email?
    I am not being a dick, its such a trivial concern to be bitching about and the problem here is you're taking Anet for what they say, a massive mistake as Anet is all talk and no substance. Its a 2 day trial, get over it and just get a new email account, if you like the game, use your gw1 account to buy a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by mber341 View Post
    I'm having this EXACT same issue. I played GW1. But because my email is tied to the GW1 account, it won't let me register for GW2 free trial. When I click "Having trouble?", the next page asks for my GW2 serial number and character name. Um, hello, I've never played GW2. =(

Very frustrating to say the least.

I sent a "Ask a Question" ticket only minutes ago. I'll post an update when I get one.
    If you have a gmail account you can add a fullstop in the middle and it will still come to the same gmail account, it's just that A/Net should see it as a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I am not being a dick, its such a trivial concern to be bitching about and the problem here is you're taking Anet for what they say, a massive mistake as Anet is all talk and no substance. Its a 2 day trial, get over it and just get a new email account, if you like the game, use your gw1 account to buy a copy.
    You are being a dick. Telling someone that they can't play on their own account is not a trivial concern. And the only reason I am 'bitching' about it is because your pompousness pissed me off.

I don't HAVE a gw1 account, my account was from beta.

Why should I have to keep creating new accounts? Why shouldn't I get to play the same characters (obviously beta is different but trials?)?

I am their target audience here. I am obviously interested in the game (despite the fact that this is the second time I have tried to play it and both times have had nothing but problems), I just don't think its worth the price at this point. They should be making it as easy as possible for me to get into the game so that they can convince me it IS worth the price, not frustrating me to the point that I don't want to log in.

I have only been back on this site for a few hours now and you have already reminded me how terrible MMO-C's community is. So thanks for that.
    Last edited by iceberg265; 2013-08-24 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow so much emotion over one little post, I certainly expressed no pomposity in my post. If creating an account is so frustrating that you refrain from taking part in a trial then you clearly weren't their target audience, they want people who have passion for the game, clearly you do not if that one short technical oversight is enough to put you off the game.

Welcome back to the site, try not to be so precious its very odd being called a pompous dick by pointing out how easy it is to create an email address in a slightly belittling humurous way :P

Also what about any characters I might have already had
    On a beta account...no, they wiped them.

Telling someone that they can't play on their own account is not a trivial concern
    You can, you just can't play the trial on your beta account, if you want to buy it you can then use your beta account. Trivial with a capital T, nice bit of hyperbole.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-08-24 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I don't HAVE a gw1 account, my account was from beta.
    All the beta accounts were wiped before launch. They said this would happen.

Trial accounts are different, you can still play the same trial account if you trialed back in November or in April.

(also ignore that guy, he doesn't even play the game)
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    All the beta accounts were wiped before launch. They said this would happen.

Trial accounts are different, you can still play the same trial account if you trialed back in November or in April.

(also ignore that guy, he doesn't even play the game)
    That guy being me? I only just completed the soft lander achievement thank you very much, not that playing the game actually has any relevance to how ridiculous it is to moan about a technical issue that is so easily fixed.

It's an irritating glitch to their system sure, but just make a new email account if you want to try the trial. The "I won't ever play because of this!" stuff isn't really needed, heck it's been a year since launch and a couple trials in between, so not like you were on the verge of buying it for a year...

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    It's an irritating glitch to their system sure, but just make a new email account if you want to try the trial. The "I won't ever play because of this!" stuff isn't really needed, heck it's been a year since launch and a couple trials in between, so not like you were on the verge of buying it for a year...
    I haven't seen any other trials, this is the first one I've seen. And you're right, I'm NOT going to buy the fucking game without a trial, and if Anet doesn't care enough about former players to let us use our OWN EXISTING EMAILS, then yeah, that SCREAMS to me that they are a company that doesn't care about their playerbase.

I haven't seen any other trials, this is the first one I've seen. And you're right, I'm NOT going to buy the fucking game without a trial, and if Anet doesn't care enough about former players to let us use our OWN EXISTING EMAILS, then yeah, that SCREAMS to me that they are a company that doesn't care about their playerbase.
    I don't recall trials for GW1, could be wrong, but I'd imagine they simply didn't lay the groundwork for trials, not some intentional slight. Most likely it's related to the ability to link the GW1 accounts for the benefits that brings, which was probably more important to their minds in serving their loyal customers. But yeah, I guess it's true that if this is the sort of thing that sends you away from the game, you're probably better off avoiding it.

The GW1 trials were like timed demos iirc. I think one can still demo the game actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The GW1 trials were like timed demos iirc. I think one can still demo the game actually.
    You are correct: "The access key is for a maximum of 10 hours of game play over a 14-day period from the time the key is activated."

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, if you are going to have so much histrionics over them not being able to link a live account with a trial account, you probably won't like this game. In fact, I'm sure of it. You will hate it.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You know, if you are going to have so much histrionics over them not being able to link a live account with a trial account, you probably won't like this game. In fact, I'm sure of it. You will hate it.
    For once we agree, although you told someone to ignore me for saying exactly the same thing. Such a trivial matter for histronics indeed.

I wonder what they were busy all that year.

The game has glaring bugs, like strange characters on the screen, US English keyboard issues, seizure-inducing flashing by targeted doodads, cutscenes not starting unless instance entered several times, etc. Where's AH filtering? Why the cities are cities of Fake Doors (http://i.imgur.com/cOUDZCk.jpg)?

I understand the "content" each 2 weeks is good, but why the rest of the game looks so derelict and no bugs are fixed?

Yeah this is what I got too:
    Thank you for contacting Guild Wars 2 Support Team.

Since your e-mail address is already linked to a Guild Wars account you will not be able to use the same e-mail address for the Guild Wars 2 Trial Account. However, you are welcome to create a new trial account to participate in the event. Please do so using a different e-mail address than the one used in that previous trial event, as the previous e-mail address will not be valid for a
    second account.

Regards,
    Styx
    Guild Wars 2 Support Team
    This is unacceptable. Sure its easy enough to set up a new email account, but I have enough emails to keep track of these days (mostly due to the same stupid technical errors of other sites/forums forcing me to re-register with new emails over and over). It's gotten to the point where I can't remember every username and password, having to repeat the process again and again. It's never-ending. (And I get it, this is a personal issue not something specifically tied to Anet--but 'punishing' your former playerbase doesn't help the situation either.)

Besides, if I wanted to actually purchase the game after the trial, I don't want my account locked to some email I'll never actually use and only created to play the trial. Chances are if it's not an email account I use regularly, I'll once again forget the password or username which may result in me not being able to log into the game itself.
    Last edited by mber341; 2013-08-25 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mber341 View Post
    Besides, if I wanted to actually purchase the game after the trial, I don't want my account locked to some email I'll never actually ever use and only used I only created to play the trial. Chances are if it's not an email account I use regularly, I'll once again forget the password or username which may result in me not being able to log into the game itself.
    You can link/change the registered e-mail (after purchase).

So much QQ over such small problems

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    You can link/change the registered e-mail (after purchase).

So much QQ over such small problems
    See now I got called a pompous dick for saying this :P
    Sure its easy enough to set up a new email account, but I have enough emails to keep track of these days
    If you have loads already then you dont need a new one just for GW2 trial do you? Use one of those

I don't want my account locked to some email I'll never actually use
    It wont, you just use your GW1/beta account, you can link that one just fine, its only the trial.

And puuuhlease stop with the whole we're being punished...you're not, its a technical oversight/issue, and if for 2 days of a trial people can't remember an email/password then they have more serious concerns.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-08-25 at 04:39 PM.