Mage just hit 90.

I just hit 90 this morning and am looking to gear up and start working on LFRs. From looking at noxxic and a few other websites it looks like arcane is the way to go? Anyone have any other advice for a newb mage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    I'd start with frost. Frost is MAGIC for 5 man trash and Scenarios with Frost bomb and a well timed shatter

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul5895 View Post
    I just hit 90 this morning and am looking to gear up and start working on LFRs. From looking at noxxic and a few other websites it looks like arcane is the way to go? Anyone have any other advice for a newb mage?
    First don't ever use Noxxic. It's pretty crap even for beginners so use the guides on these forums and read the threads because I'm positive any question you could have has been discussed in detail here. I'm guessing you were looking at Noxxic simdps? Simdps is worthless and those "calculations are for BiS gear. Arcane is pretty crap till you can get the 4pc T15 and some heroic gear, like 540 ilvl it starts to preform well and scales better from there. Go frost, stack int and haste, if you want to go fire then I would advise not to until you can reach around 40% crit.

Frost it is. I was looking at realistic dps on the lowest gear rating.

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul5895 View Post
    From looking at noxxic
    Aight, gonna give you the best advice anyone will ever tell you: Don't, EVER, use Noxxic for any information, ever.

Use Icy-veins at least, or even the stickies up top on these forums; ANYTHING but that garbage ass site that is just blatantly wrong. About 80% of their info is incorrect.

Best spec to go at your level would definitely be Frost right now. It absolutely wrecks at low-gear levels and it owns dungeons like crazy.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Go frost for gearing up. Once you start raiding current stuff go fire.

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Go frost for gearing up. Once you start raiding current stuff go fire.
    Once you're in almost full ToT Normal gear*, go Fire.

You don't want to go Fire until you have a significant amount of gear.

You could also go Arcane, or hell even stay Frost if you like it since its getting a Mastery change (for the better) and a nice buff overall for 5.4 (which will be here in 2-3 weeks)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

dont ever go arcane.. not till ur into heroic raid mode gear pretty much..

frost is the way till u can do fire at 528+ ilvl.. plus frozen orb rules for dungeons.. and frost bomb mobs+ huge shatter combo=300k dps even starting out as a fresh 90 in dungeons.

Frost will be best choice for undergeared mage

10+ Year Old Account
    They pretty much answered your question well, but may I ask WHY people even get the idea that Noxxic is good (not blaming OP) when so many people constantly say it is bad? It isn't just on this site, even in ventrilo conversations someone might mention it is a joke, or in trade chat.

I just don't get why I see it all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets not get back into pointless discussions please.
    My magic will tear you apart.