Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GW2 fastest selling MMO + free trial

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-History-.html

Although the game has pretty much remained the same and no decent permanent content IMO has been put out, still interesting.

Not surprised. I have rarely seen an MMO with as lively as GW2. The game seems extremely popular.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I find the comparison Eurogamer made about this hilarious.
    Comparing it to Vanilla Wow is moronic. The markets are vastly different and they don't even share the same payment model. Also, how many of those copies sold are people still playing the game? You just can't compare a P2P game to B2P game.
    Sure you can compare the two together. It's not a comparison of active users, but a comparison of boxes sold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Infographic celebrating Guild Wars 2 Year One \o/

http://abload.de/img/gw2yearone6jkfp.png
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    But you're talking about an almost 10 year difference in the market. MMOs are far more commonplace today with a much larger group of people looking to play them than in 2004. If anything, GW2 is as successful because of WoW. (And this isn't me being some WoW fanboy, I play about 4 MMOs right now.)
    There's also a much more diverse market, meaning more market division. Plus, you can't pin GW2s success on just WoW, considering, well, GW1 existed (hence the 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I love this game, i just wish they added more content to it. I haven't even got to 80 yet but i'd like to know that when i get there i'm not going to stagnate for months or perhaps forever until i get bored and quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    I love this game, i just wish they added more content to it. I haven't even got to 80 yet but i'd like to know that when i get there i'm not going to stagnate for months or perhaps forever until i get bored and quit.
    Biweekly updates isn't enough content for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

The content is there, it just might not be the type of content he is looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    New content every 2 weeks.
    In other words, on any given day, a content patch was either released no more than 7 days ago or a new one will go live within the next 7 days.
    Valar morghulis

Most of the content only lasts a month. And how fast it is completed is dependent on how much you play. It can be completed in a few days if you play a lot, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    Lots of alternate character stories and classes to roll... Also WvWvW can never be completed.

I think GW2s world design is pretty awesome. The cities feel like cities (except for the giant human ice fortress) and the land changes (defending and taking towns). I hope Blizzard (with Titan) and other developers take note in how to make an interesting and populated world instead of a small area that houses your AH and bank and portals to dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    How many of those 3mil still play? I've seen quite a few threads complaining about the game from people who were quite excited when it launched. Just sayin...
    no clue, but everytime I'm on there are quite a few people around. Still that's only my experience. They aren't hurting for players.

How many of those 3mil still play? I've seen quite a few threads complaining about the game from people who were quite excited when it launched. Just sayin...
    Doesn't really matter. You don't pay a sub fee so they got their coin. More people does mean more opportunity to sell some gems tho. Seems pretty active on my realm. Guess since it is still selling well it is doing pretty good.

The issue with the question is that there is no sub fee so while you may have not played since day 1 you could still technically launch the game whenever you want and play so technically you are still a "player".

Signature Created by Jassinta

I honestly don't like the 2 week cycle thing.

inb4 herpderp "lawl ppl will complain about nething! bet u complain about 2 slow release b4!" (bonus hint: I never have for pretty much any game)

So to clarify, I'm not complaining that content is releasing too fast, but instead things are being removed too fast. I've missed entire releases just from lack of time to play over a two week period. That's some bullshit. If they would leave stuff in a bit longer, or hey, maybe have PERMANENT CONTENT instead of goddamn temporary stuff (what a concept). You literally can't take a break because you'll miss stuff. I realize you're not falling behind power-wise, but it's pretty much the same to me. I didn't even get to the super adventure box until a few days before they removed it, looked forward to trying the Sky Pirates dungeon only to find out it had been removed the day before... and for what reason? There fucking isn't one. Pessimism mode answer: they want to keep you playing constantly like other MMOs do with a treadmill, only we have a content treadmill instead of a gear one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Doesn't really matter. You don't pay a sub fee so they got their coin. More people does mean more opportunity to sell some gems tho. Seems pretty active on my realm. Guess since it is still selling well it is doing pretty good.
    The way they play up the gem shop it makes it no different than a sub fee. Dailies and temporary content keep you playing and result in more gem sales.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-08-16 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    I find this claim of being the fastest selling MMO EVER not very trustworthy.

For example if u check this graph :

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

You can see that WoW in a period of 1 year has grown from 0 subs to +6M subs ... and back then all copies were physical.

Read some days ago that over 2.5 million players are still playing the game (loging in once a week or more). The game is very good but the problem is that it can be overwhelming. I played up to level 50 or so and stopped playing for my own good because there's always something to do. Get some kills to earn your daily achievement, do one more event, finally found a group for a dungeon, do some crafting and so on. It's like playing Civilazation or Skyrim, you start playing and suddenly it's 3am and you have only 3 hours to sleep until you need to get up to work. I know lots of people that stopped playing because they were exhausted of playing it so much and are afraid to start playing because they fear that they will again play for hours.

Every now and then I want to play a little bit but there's just so much going on and so much to do that it's hard to stop playing.

How is this possible? Cataclysm is the fastest selling pc game of all time not counting Diablo3. It sold 3.3 million in 24 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    How is this possible? Cataclysm is the fastest selling pc game of all time not counting Diablo3. It sold 3.3 million in 24 hours...
    cataclysm is an expansion

diablo 3 is not an mmo

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Cataclysm is not a PC game. It's an expansion.

Signature Created by Jassinta