Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So in the in-game lore, how many player "heros" are there?

Is it merely just 1, you and the other players are just part of the online experience? or is it you plus all the raid members?
    random thought that popped in my head and wondered if there was any thing on this

10+ Year Old Account
    To me? Technically you are the only hero and everyone else is just helping you.

Legendaries, as far as I know, happen in lore as they're done through quests. Thus, at most, there are 10 hero characters, one per legendary. To narrow this down, there has to be at least the following;

Legendary daggers: Rogue
    Legendary bow: Hunter

We can ignore the legendary cape because everyone can get that.

After this, we get overlap, but I think we can get away with having a pretty short list of classes.

Rogue: Thunderfury, Glaives, Daggers
    Hunter: Bow
    Priest: Medivh's stick, Raggy's stick, Ulduar hammer
    Warrior: Hand of Sulf, Shadowmourne

You could possibly give the bow to the Rogue, depending on how stingy you are. So at the end of the day, there are 3 or 4 "real" characters, depending on whether you give the bow to the Hunter.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I don't think there are a set number. It's just a group of average Joes that help save the world. It's definitely more than one because NPCs refer to us as 'these' heroes.

Scarab Lord is officially an Alliance character regardless of how many players and on which faction have it.

You know how in Warcraft (rts games) where you'd have a hero unit with a special name? I think of us as special, named units in the game. I don't consider us necessarily named heroes in the overall Lore of WoW, but I like to consider us 1 step above npcs (created by barracks), 1 step below Thrall/Illidan/Sylvanas/Tyrande, etc.

Alliance Heroes, Horde Heroes, Adventurers pretty much

In my mind, there's probably hundreds. It wouldn't make sense to me that all of those named bosses were killed by the same group of people or that a smaller group of people were there to experience all of those events that we see as players. There's no official number though. We just know that the stuff we do, as far as canon lore is concerned, is done by unnamed adventurers and heroes of the Alliance and Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Legendaries, as far as I know, happen in lore as they're done through quests. Thus, at most, there are 10 hero characters, one per legendary. To narrow this down, there has to be at least the following;

Legendary daggers: Rogue
    Legendary bow: Hunter

We can ignore the legendary cape because everyone can get that.

After this, we get overlap, but I think we can get away with having a pretty short list of classes.

Rogue: Thunderfury, Glaives, Daggers
    Hunter: Bow
    Priest: Medivh's stick, Raggy's stick, Ulduar hammer
    Warrior: Hand of Sulf, Shadowmourne

You could possibly give the bow to the Rogue, depending on how stingy you are. So at the end of the day, there are 3 or 4 "real" characters, depending on whether you give the bow to the Hunter.
    That... doesn't really make sense.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say there is at max 40, because you enter Wrath being a hero of the outlands wars, then you move from hero to champion of Arthas and are referred to as such as you quest, It kiiiinda resets in Wrath, because nobody knows who you are, but Varian/garrosh still refers to you as champions.

You are referenced by Anduin, Thrall, Varian, the quest givers in the beginning wrath quests, as a warlock you are referenced by Akama as having been there before. So it is assumed that your character is the chief slayer of all raid bosses
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Lore wise, I'm pretty sure the game consider the players character to be the main character and the one that did everything. Quests that refer to past actions are always directed at the player. So you generally won't see "Hey remember when you and all those random guys did that quest for me in Westfall?", but you are likely to see "Hey remember when YOU did that quest for me in Westfall?".

If there is a need for other players, quest and the like generally have you directed to "bring your friends", so in lore you could say "blah blah dungeonw as defeated by (the player's main character) and friends (IE: You matter, the friends don't. they were just some guys who helped you)

That said, blizz tends to keep any references to the players in lore super vague and we usually don't really crop up at all, so I wouldn't stress it too much.
    Last edited by Icaras; 2013-08-25 at 05:17 AM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Is it merely just 1, you and the other players are just part of the online experience? or is it you plus all the raid members?
    random thought that popped in my head and wondered if there was any thing on this
    in raids? its typically 100 - a couple thousand.

in quests 1 - a handful
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    None. It's just a gameplay thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    That... doesn't really make sense.
    The events in legendary quests happened in lore. Someone had to have done them, if it wasn't your character. For example, Wrathion definitely hired a rogue to kill off other black dragons, so a rogue PC definitely exists, even if it isn't yours.

The lowest possible number of characters, while making sure that all of those lore events happen, is 3.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I see it as depends on the situation, where in the questing zones for the most part it's your the hero/adventurer and you are generally the sole hero, when it comes to daily hubs, dungeons, raids and such it's more generalized into heroes, multiple heroes from your faction coming together to accomplish some sort of goal. I know in the books whenever it's referenced any of the things such as Deathwings defeat along with a few other examples I can't remember at the moment as just a group of heroes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    The events in legendary quests happened in lore. Someone had to have done them, if it wasn't your character. For example, Wrathion definitely hired a rogue to kill off other black dragons, so a rogue PC definitely exists, even if it isn't yours.

The lowest possible number of characters, while making sure that all of those lore events happen, is 3.
    yeah but lorewise all of the legendaries are similar in power regardless of their actual in game level so it doesnt make much sense to give a rogue 4 weapons lorewise
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    ...have you directed to "bring your friends", so in lore you could say "blah blah dungeonw as defeated by (the player's main character) and friends...
    I have always thought that kinda comical... You are going to save the world and you need help so you will call to few drinking buddies. "Hello Bob, what are you doing today? Wanna kill one dragon? Small one."

Edit: There was some 60lvl hunter in LFD yesterday, having no gear except lvl1 ones... maybe it was one of those "friends".
    Last edited by mmoc64ace7a841; 2013-08-25 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    yeah but lorewise all of the legendaries are similar in power regardless of their actual in game level so it doesnt make much sense to give a rogue 4 weapons lorewise
    Yeah, but it's not really possible to say whether it's much higher than that, so I gave the low estimate.

We are part of like a veteran footsoldier force. We're kind of like an independent 7th Legion. Although not as many.

We've been present at basically every significant altercation helping the big named guys.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-08-25 at 07:23 AM.

5-40, depending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I think its generally just referred to as "a group of adventurers". Or "Horde/Alliance heroes". No emphasis on the number of heroes.
    I would say I agree with this when it comes down to it. We are all known as adventurers/heroes/champions, and have always been present at major conflicts, as we are usually remembered or recognized for our previous actions. The MoP preview trailer is voiced from the PoV of an "adventurer", and referenced as we, so definitely a group and not an individual.

Look up "Adventurer" on WoWPedia.