Poll: Do you like having content only be there for 2-4 weeks?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    My problem with GW2 temporary content is that it feels like something players could generate if they were given the (permanent) tools to do so.
    For example instead of a rigid election with only 2 candidates, why note create a whole diplomatic system ? Big guild or individual could be elected and then have the abilities to adjust some settings (higher repair cost but lower traveling cost, more npc soldiers to fight the centaurs, but less to fight the skrits etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by aSynchro View Post
    My problem with GW2 temporary content is that it feels like something players could generate if they were given the (permanent) tools to do so.
    For example instead of a rigid election with only 2 candidates, why note create a whole diplomatic system ? Big guild or individual could be elected and then have the abilities to adjust some settings (higher repair cost but lower traveling cost, more npc soldiers to fight the centaurs, but less to fight the skrits etc.)
    There's a general problem with this and its an issue I am curious to see future sandbox titles wrestle with.

You can't have a thousand authors writing one book. You can't have a hundred hands molding the same statue. You can have imaginary play time in the "sandbox" when its just a handful of friends. Once you reach the massively point in players, it's a lot harder to maintain a mutually agreed upon set of rules.

Because Ellen won the election, there will be a story made by the selection of writers involved. If the players decided a handful of candidates, then suddenly you end up with The Armor Repair guy elected president and the story is made up by a thousand different minds with different goals. Suddenly the whole election becomes a meaningless joke.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    It's almost like they wanted me to stop playing after I finished leveling the classes I liked.
    Wouldn't suprise me if this is actually the case. Less people on their servers = less maintanance costs, after all. They've already got your money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    This made me quit years ago.
    Guild Wars 2 hasn't even been out a year. I think you're confused what game people are talking about.

If the content was permanent you wouldn't feel pressured into completing it now. You could just do it whenever you feel like it. Having the short time limit coerces players to grind or pay up to get the fancy new stuff before it's gone. Of course it's bad for the game itself as the time invested in "Living World" could instead be used to fix the abundant number of bugs, revamp traits, fix WvW, create endgame content etc., but having a disposable loot race every 2-4 weeks is better for gem sales.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Wouldn't suprise me if this is actually the case. Less people on their servers = less maintanance costs, after all. They've already got your money.
    They certainly do want you to keep playing because their revenue is sustained by cash shop purchases. This statement is so far from accurate I don't know what else to say. Not true in the slightest.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by aSynchro View Post
    You couldn't build a story around characters like this. And even so, what about all the other parts of the LS? Players can't really create a directed narrative as AN could w/ the NPCs of the LS.

The content is supposed to have a narrative drive to it. Hence, living story.

Of course it's bad for the game itself as the time invested in "Living World" could instead be used to fix the abundant number of bugs, revamp traits, fix WvW, create endgame content etc., but having a disposable loot race every 2-4 weeks is better for gem sales.
    There is no endgame in any of the 5 Guild Wars games. The concept would betray the series and philosophy fundamentally. Why would a developer willingly betray their design philosophy if their current model is profitable & popular among their customers?

Doesn't make sense for AN to ever have an endgame unless profitability was at stake. Which it is not.

Bug fixing and balancing are transitory in every game in active development. No player should have concern of these things unless they were faulty to point of unplayability. Rather than unlikable, natch.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-18 at 12:33 PM.

Now that I think about it, if there wasn't anything tangible that was limited time only I wouldn't care. I mean, if they stripped limited/one time only gem store offers, achievements, titles, minis, etc. and the content just existed on its own then I could easily skip most of what's been going on in the Living Story and not feel like I missed anything.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. I know the goal is to keep people playing GW2, but I still believe this is the wrong way to go about it. If you play GW2 so much that you're bored not having something new to do every 2 weeks then I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I would like a breather and the more pressured I feel to keep playing the less interest I'm having in it. I've read rumors it's only going to get worse with time gated crafting, as if the addition of charged quartz crystals (and laurels prior to that) weren't bad enough. Not to mention with the new achievement point system there's that much more reason to do all the LS achievements.

I feel like I'm perpetually putting what I want to do on the back burner. Currently I'd like to make a new alt, but I don't really have the time for that now with the Queen's update. Prior to that I was trying to get my feet wet in WvW and had to set that aside to do all the LS stuff. Etc. There's still a lot of core GW2 gaming I haven't done and I'm having to squeeze it in between updates. It's kind of weird, to be honest, and I've found I don't really like it that way. Maybe it's innovative to some, but it's not particularly enjoyable to me.

At least in WoW everything recurred on an annual basis. If I completely missed something one year I could do it again next year. Same achievements, same rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Now that I think about it, if there wasn't anything tangible that was limited time only I wouldn't care. I mean, if they stripped limited/one time only gem store offers, achievements, titles, minis, etc. and the content just existed on its own then I could easily skip most of what's been going on in the Living Story and not feel like I missed anything.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. I know the goal is to keep people playing GW2, but I still believe this is the wrong way to go about it. If you play GW2 so much that you're bored not having something new to do every 2 weeks then I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I would like a breather and the more pressured I feel to keep playing the less interest I'm having in it. I've read rumors it's only going to get worse with time gated crafting, as if the addition of charged quartz crystals (and laurels prior to that) weren't bad enough. Not to mention with the new achievement point system there's that much more reason to do all the LS achievements.

I feel like I'm perpetually putting what I want to do on the back burner. Currently I'd like to make a new alt, but I don't really have the time for that now with the Queen's update. Prior to that I was trying to get my feet wet in WvW and had to set that aside to do all the LS stuff. Etc. There's still a lot of core GW2 gaming I haven't done and I'm having to squeeze it in between updates. It's kind of weird, to be honest, and I've found I don't really like it that way. Maybe it's innovative to some, but it's not particularly enjoyable to me.

At least in WoW everything recurred on an annual basis. If I completely missed something one year I could do it again next year. Same achievements, same rewards.
    This is why I did one event thing and decided not to do others once I was done with it. Hell, I stopped playing for awhile, but looking to maybe get back into it. I still will likely be avoiding the temporary events.

Now that I think about it, if there wasn't anything tangible that was limited time only I wouldn't care.
    Why do you really care now?

The LS stuff is mostly ignorable. It's only personal mania that drives one to compulsively farm up Pavilion or some other event for a trinket.

I do the LS stuff as I am able [job/family], then move on. I am not grinding Super Adventure Box for skins to flip for profit. I am not setting off fireworks for a kite, carving pumpkins, playing dodgeball or repeating a jumping puzzle for a week in order to net some other meaningless trinket.

Those achievements points, laurels, pets, etc- those baubles are there for fun. None of it drives the core gameplay of GW2. One can ignore these events as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is no endgame in any of the 5 Guild Wars games. The concept would betray the series and philosophy fundamentally. Why would a developer willingly betray their design philosophy if their current model is profitable & popular among their customers?

Doesn't make sense for AN to ever have an endgame unless profitability was at stake. Which it is not.

Bug fixing and balancing are transitory in every game in active development. No player should have concern of these things unless they were faulty to point of unplayability. Rather than unlikable, natch.
    Of course Guild Wars has an endgame. You just farm horizontally (cosmetic changes, different stats) instead of vertically (item level). You generally don't do that on lower levels because most of your stuff will be rendered obsolete in the near future just by not being at the level cap. The level adjustment is schizophrenic as well; you only get leveled up in certain areas (e.g. WvW, Queen Jennah's Loot Pizza) but not in the regular overworld. And even if you do get leveled up, you're still wearing shit for gear and have fewer traits and skills, making you a liability more so than an asset (especially in WvW). Similarly, downleveled endgame characters are still in Exotic/Ascended gear and with a full build, so they just wipe the floor with any content designed for low level characters wearing whites and blues.

The "design philosophy", insofar as it exists, is to create as many incentives for players to spend money on gems as possible. For this purpose, having volatile exclusive content (in addition to the various other mechanics that have been there since release) is optimal.

There has been a compiled list of Necro bugs in the official forums since the very beginning. That thread still exists, and the list is about as long as ever. AN doesn't give a flying cow pie because your average player won't even notice them and the S/TPvP folk can be kept busy through the Rock-Paper-Scissors Rotation from GW1 and by occasionally mentioning the term "meta". The Royal Theme Park Patch roughly doubled loading screen times. The headphone-destroying-random-loud-noise bug is also still there. WvW orbs were removed instead of fixed.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    The "design philosophy", insofar as it exists, is to create as many incentives for players to spend money on gems as possible
    Not only is this blatantly not true, it's practically slander. While I'm sure they would like people to pay as much as possible, they certainly don't design the game to that effect. Though I did notice you used incentives and not a negative word, but your implication is that the game's content suffers by default of being part of a grand manipulation.

That's just really not the case.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    There has been a compiled list of Necro bugs in the official forums since the very beginning. That thread still exists, and the list is about as long as ever. AN doesn't give a flying cow pie because your average player won't even notice them and the S/TPvP folk can be kept busy through the Rock-Paper-Scissors Rotation from GW1 and by occasionally mentioning the term "meta". The Royal Theme Park Patch roughly doubled loading screen times. The headphone-destroying-random-loud-noise bug is also still there. WvW orbs were removed instead of fixed.
    This is an issue I find appalling myself. I returned after not logging in for several months, only to find all those nasty bugs and quality of life issues still to be there. Karma-farming was replaced with Champion-farming but that's it.
    The AH still offers no options to filter for certain armor types (light, medium, heavy). Personal story bugs are still there/being reimplemented. There's still certain lines in my language that aren't synchronized in the personal story (you're having a normal dialogue, one line is muted, then everything is fine again - this is reported and existent since ALPHA).

Oh yeah, but we got a 2 week schedule of living story. Don't give me that crap, please fix your numerous bugs and issues first.
    Last edited by mmoc8ba4c3f6b2; 2013-08-18 at 02:31 PM.

I will never understand the argument about guild wars 2 temporary content. The temporary content is to build a story. If it was permanent, when the story progresses, the previous content wouldn't make sense if someone unknowingly went to things out of order.

Aside from that, when content becomes old, people stop doing it. This doesn't make sense to complain about not having something sit there stagnant. Adding permanent content that no one will do 2 months from now goes against the vision of a supposed living world. If that is not what you are looking for, and you just plan to whine you missed you achievements for previous content, then maybe this isnt the game for you.

Of course Guild Wars has an endgame.
    Impossible. There is a definitive end to your progression in GW2. It's a hard ceiling. Players are not held in the perpetual almost done phase of contemporary MMOs.

An Endgame is the penultimate stage before the game is complete. In GW2 the game completes absolutely.*

The rest of the stuff about bugs is again, transitory. Not really anything a player should care about, though admittedly annoying at times.

*A "completed" game is not the same as being able to continue playing the game. Endgame is not game over, per se. An endgame is complete when the goals of the game are reached- victory, end of progression, narrative end, etc.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-18 at 02:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Impossible. There is a definitive end to your progression in GW2. It's a hard ceiling. Players are not held in the perpetual almost done phase of contemporary MMOs. [/SIZE]
    Point me to this definitive end, Fencers, because I haven't found it yet
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Level 80 exotic geared, personal story complete. Traits and skills unlocked. The core gameplay has ended at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooo, when you complete a tier in another MMO, when you have your toon geared up, does that mean that other game suddenly stopped having endgame before the new tier is released?
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Not only is this blatantly not true, it's practically slander. While I'm sure they would like people to pay as much as possible, they certainly don't design the game to that effect. Though I did notice you used incentives and not a negative word, but your implication is that the game's content suffers by default of being part of a grand manipulation.

That's just really not the case.
    It's what a lot of games discover with F2P conversion or whatnot. You'll be getting money from many players, but you still need a full world to flesh out the MMO. You need to provide content so that players keep playing, even if those players aren't actually buying gems. If you only had the gem-buyers left, then the game would be pretty empty and even they would probably lose interest.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read rumors it's only going to get worse with time gated crafting, as if the addition of charged quartz crystals (and laurels prior to that) weren't bad enough.
    I think that's really the biggest thing that stands out to me, the charged quartz crystals. Not that you have to charge one every day max, but that the source of the base crystal is gone (except for TP). Sure you can get that personal node, and I did, but most of the folks I know didn't.

Granted, I don't know how much folks actually LIKE the Celestial stats, so overall it may not matter at all, but still seems like a pretty big "didn't play then? screw you now".

Sooooo, when you complete a tier in another MMO, when you have your toon geared up, does that mean that other game suddenly stopped having endgame before the new tier is released?
    Yes, actually. It happens all the time. For months at a time in some cases too.

In the case of tiered systems, the endgame is often pushed or reset anew every so often. Thus players are in a perpetual state of at endgame followed by end of game. Which again, is not game over.

None of the Guild Wars games reset the end of game. They end absolutely thus far.

It's not worth the discussion, really. The "definitive end" is whatever Fencers defines, so arguing with her about it will go nowhere as she doesn't recognize that arbitrary definition as an opinion others may not share.

GW2, like GW1, has a point where your stats do not change anymore, that is what Fencers considers a definitive end. (Though she mentioned "personal story" complete, which opens it to story which is obviously still ongoing since we're discussing the living story in this thread, and didn't include ascended gear.)