Deleted

Pet turtle tanking Ji'kun HC guardians

Does a pet turtle with the 50% dmg reduction shield and other defensive pet bonuses have enough hp/armor/healing to survive the nest guardians? I'm wondering and would like some responses from tanks. If growl doesn't work on them, then I can misdirect them to the pet anyway. I'd like to know how much the guardians hit for roughly and whether you can technically substitute them for a tank on the upper guardians so that the talon rakes and infected talons become less risky.

Is this viable or am I just being stupid. P.S. the turtle will have less dps but should be made up for by the tanks being able 2 use feathers from lower platforms to get primal nutriment instead of using them to go to platforms. (upper platforms im referring to are 4 and 12 on 10 man HC).

If the aoe damage reduction works on their aoe, I guess it should be possible, yes.

If you have a solid healer on the nest with you, you can go without a tank on the guardian platforms. I've successfully healed (disc priest) both our hunter and ret paladin "tanking" the guardian when one of our tanks screwed up and either missed the nest or lost their feather. A damage reduction CD and big heals was more than enough until it was dead. They don't really have much health and shouldn't be alive very long. Quills coincides with these nests, so I would guess you have a healer there with you.

Talon rakes and infected talon stacks shouldn't become an issue if you are using a proper swapping/nest rotation. Paladins with hand of purity are super effective, and you can bubble off the dot (but not the rake stacks). Have a tank call for a healer CD if they are having to take a 3rd rake, but that shouldn't happen very often.
    Last edited by Sakamae; 2013-08-20 at 04:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i remember when we had a pet turtle tanking in Blackwing Descent, Nefarian i believe it was. lol

its always fun to see the pets doing crazy things and managing it. like that voidwalker that used to tank OS3D
    Hi

It's possible but not worth the hassle. Because it takes a second for the pet to spawn when your hunter jumps and lands on the platform, someone will always get hit at least once. And then depending on where that person was standing depends where your pet goes to attack the thing and its not easy getting the thing to face the way you want it (read: not facing nest people to get hit with cleave). Plus, it does need dedicated heals.

I've tanked it as a boomkin, I've had a warrior tank it as dps (Sword n board swap). Pets shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jsutan View Post
    It's possible but not worth the hassle. Because it takes a second for the pet to spawn when your hunter jumps and lands on the platform, someone will always get hit at least once. And then depending on where that person was standing depends where your pet goes to attack the thing and its not easy getting the thing to face the way you want it (read: not facing nest people to get hit with cleave). Plus, it does need dedicated heals.
    While I agree that it's not worth the hassle, I would like to point out that there's nothing stopping the hunter from jumping down 1-5 seconds before the rest of the players jump down, eliminating the problem that you mentioned.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I've seen lock pets tank it, so assume its also viable for a hunter

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you don't need a "turtle" for it any more, but sure.

Lock pets have the soul leech shield but hunter pets are the tankiest (assuming they are speced into tenacity).

Our shadow priest tanks it because our tank falls 1/2 the time, so I would say your pet can do it just fine.