10+ Year Old Account

Having trouble with Scholomance Challenge Mode.

Hiyas! A few guildies and I have been shooting for gold runs this week (one of them being a 9/9 ele shaman, the rest of us have a few) and we seem to be unable to get the last boss in Scholo down. The shaman has no idea why we're having so much trouble with it, as none of his previous groups did. We've gone at it on several different occasions and end up giving up after wiping on it for hours.
    Last night we were at it again, and this was our comp: Prot Paladin tank, Holy Paladin healer, Shadow Priest, Ele Shaman, and Frost Mage for dps.

Our DPS is high enough to either kill Voss before the second phase, or get very very close to it if RNG sucks with the death grip.

For Gandling, we have been having the most success with the paladin tank running up to the top-back of the room with the rest of us, while the ele shaman CL spams the adds that spawn at the bottom and the mage and I nuke the boss. However we only tried this method on our last attempt of the night, when the healer died in the other room because the exploding adds went after him.
    Typically, when we'd have the tank down at the bottom he would get hit by a stray add exploding on him.

So we're sort of at a loss here. Should we continue the strat with bringing the tank up top? Is there something we're doing completely wrong?
    Last edited by sasslefrassed; 2013-08-18 at 11:16 PM.
    Stelmaria | Phantasien

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

You can just aoe down the adds. They only explode if they're allowed to live for 5? seconds.

A good note that no guide seems to mention is that for the healer to get out quickly he needs to dispel 2 of the friendly adds in the room. When the add is dispelled, it explodes dealing ~70% of the adds health.

Make sure the healer doesn't do anything that would cause him to get agro from the adds when he gets targeted with Dark Lesson. I was having the issue of Riptide bringing the adds right to me, fortunately between Earthbind/Capacitor/War Stomp I was able to kite them and avoid dying, but if your healer is careful he can avoid getting agro from the adds altogether, using Eternal Flame is probably a bad idea. Having the tank move seems unnecessary, if damage on him from the adds exploding is an issue just have your ele shaman project Earthbind to the stairs and delay killing them. Make sure the shaman and priest are saving Ancestral Guidance and Vamp Embrace for when the healer gets ported, the damage from the boss can be substantial and having the extra healing on demand can save lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isiildur View Post
    You can just aoe down the adds. They only explode if they're allowed to live for 5? seconds.

A good note that no guide seems to mention is that for the healer to get out quickly he needs to dispel 2 of the friendly adds in the room. When the add is dispelled, it explodes dealing ~70% of the adds health.
    I have been meaning to ask our healer if he knows about dispelling the friendly adds, not sure if that's what he's been doing.
    But I did not know about the adds exploding after 8 seconds (looked it up! ha). So all three of us should switch to the adds and aoe them down? I was wondering whether we should have done that before as the boss takes 50% less damage during Rise!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the mage would like to sit this one out next time we go, any suggestions for a third dps?
    Stelmaria | Phantasien

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

The key to the boss is aoe'ing down the adds like others said. It's bad news if they explode.

10+ Year Old Account
    The group stands on the balcony above and behind Gandling, and the tank in the middle of the room below. Adds will take ages to get to you there as they need to run up the stairs and then all around the balcony. Just zerg him down.

My group never really had a problem with Gandling. The 2nd time we actually managed to reach him (we had problems with the room before Voss - warrior tank anyone?).

What we did was have the group (2 mages, 1 shadow priest and resto druid) on the balcony above Gandling and the tank on his own below the group. All the adds would run for the druid and they would explode half-way. Communication was really important as to not have someone coming out of a room explode to bits from the adds. When the druid got Dark Lesson and the adds came to her, she simply stampeded out of there with Ursol's Vortex and pray to the gods the adds didn't explode on her.

But in general, our druid just kitted them around. If they got too close, the mages frost-nova'd them and the druid would run away but was never needed. I assume you know that getting transformed from the vial in the mini boss room, increases your dmg. So make sure that all your raid members, even the healer, is transformed.

Deleted
    The first time I got gold in scholo we had a pala tank and had issues with his healing drawing the adds from gandling into the room the tank was ported to. We had to ensure he used no healing whatsoever until his port session was over. then when the healer is ported either use no healing or aoe again and stay down or run up.

second time i was tanking it on a warrior and had no issues at all, we just ensured the dps / healers on the balcony got agro on the little mobs and they die running at them

when the tank / healer gets ported just make sure the dps on the balcony get agro on the little mobs and they die half way around the top edge, but make sure you move slightly to one side to force the adds to run down the side which the tank / healer is not ported to as they can get insta killed when coming out.

Sepha

Literally just have nobody AoE (including the tank) other than your shaman spamming CL. When he gets ported have someone else spam an AoE, and if there are none available then the healer should get threat from healing.

These adds don't need to be killed, they explode after 6 ish seconds. Thats the whole reason you stand at the balcony above the boss, so by the time they run to you they've exploded and become irrelevant.

It is the single longest boss fight in any CM, the tanks DPS makes a huge difference so having him up top with you is a HUGE loss.

Ease

Quote Originally Posted by evoker View Post
    My group never really had a problem with Gandling. The 2nd time we actually managed to reach him (we had problems with the room before Voss - warrior tank anyone?).
    Yeah shockwave, heroic leap away and intervene to name just a few. Warriors completely lack tools for that pull :P

We had our holy paladin put on the threat buff and stand on the balcony behind the boss with the ranged. Adds go for him and explode on their own before they reach him. Make sure the tank isn't using any AoE (consecration etc). Have one of the ranged do some light AoE on the adds when they spawn in case the healer gets dragged into a room.

Deleted
    Run normal mode and get the vial from the room before it and then start a CM, use it before you engage (it can add as much as 15% damage to some classes). You can and should completely ignore the adds by having everyone on the balcony behind him, the adds should explode around the time they get to the first corner of the upper floor, just throw a (non slowing) AoE when they spawn and make sure no pets or the tank hits them. You should only switch to kill them if someone gets ported to a lower room and they have Aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by sasslefrassed View Post
    I have been meaning to ask our healer if he knows about dispelling the friendly adds, not sure if that's what he's been doing.
    But I did not know about the adds exploding after 8 seconds (looked it up! ha). So all three of us should switch to the adds and aoe them down? I was wondering whether we should have done that before as the boss takes 50% less damage during Rise!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the mage would like to sit this one out next time we go, any suggestions for a third dps?
    Yes, that's what you should do. It is worth noting that the boss only casts Rise! when a tank or healer is sent back. If you're healer isn't getting out in time, it will cause a lot more adds to spawn and make the "DPS check" significantly higher.

The scholomance was my first gold. =)

My comp was, disc, warr prot, frost DK, lock and elemental.
    I play as a disc and I have never dispelled any add.

The three dps was using professor pot, then they give an extra dmg on adds.
    We set the lock and shaman to kill these adds, only one needs to kill that adds, if one of then are sent to room the other needs to kill those adds.
    The adds explode in 10 seconds, make sure to kill then before it, but if you kill then a little fast probably you will lose some dps on boss, make sure to have one dps all the time on boss.

We have done this boss all inside the room, we don't use the balcony trick. Frost DK helps a little with AoE and the lock too, and we didn't have any problem with explosions.
    Make sure to dispel your tank when the boss apply dot, it gives a significant damage.
    If your healer are sent to room, your dps needs to help your tank with off heal, and your tank needs to have CD to use.

If you have enough dps to skip the shadow fase on lilian, then use BL on her, if you don't have enough dps to do this, then save your BL for the last boss, when I did that challenge, we don't have enough dps to skip the shadow fase, then we save the BL for the last boss.
    We decide to only use BL if we can skip the shadow fase, it prove to be a good decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by evoker View Post
    I had some problem here too, I have done with warr too.
    My tank lose his aggro and the mobs kill our mellee dps(dk frost), it proves to be a problem after some runs.
    It was a good challenge for me, because I had to heal a lot, and pop a lot of CDs here, my tank had to tank a little to get his aggro, before start the kait, we could kill all adds in the room without reset the blood stack.

3x Gold here on 3 tanks, first 2 chars I did it on I didn't know you could AoE adds down before they explode, and it could be a pain, last time I did it everyone stacked on the red carpet and just dropped aoe stuff and killed the adds and it was an absolute joke of a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    We tried a couple of different fancy kiting tactics for Gandling the first times we got there.

But we found by far the easiest method is just have everyone hug tightly on top of the boss and everyone just spams aoe while he's summoning ghouls. Make sure they don't aggro on the person who's been ported away, and just have everyone burn them all down. If you have enough DPS to get to Gandling in time for gold you should have more than enough DPS to kill all the ghouls in 8 seconds.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

We just aoe the adds down when they come, standing down at the boss. Doesn't seem like an issue at all that way, and we don't have amazing aoe in our group.

For an extra dps, you could go with a DK for good CC+army+aoe i guess.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Lots of good information here. I was also not aware of the healer dispel trick. Bottom line is there are 2 ways to handle the adds.

First method is to stack and aoe everything. Only disadvantage to this method is that it probably will result in a slower kill time.

Second method is to put ranged/healer up on the balcony. Someone up there must get add aggro over the tank/incidental melee aoe and by the time the adds run halfway up they explode on their own. This is generally the more efficient strategy but more prone to getting screwed up. I've seen three things go wrong - one is incidental melee aoe (like howling blast) - grabs add aggro and because no one else is aoeing they explode. Two is when the tank gets ported and ground aoe (consecration/dnd) picks up the adds which then run into the room and blow up the tank. Third is when the healer gets ported and his healing aggro gets the adds which then blow him up (particularly if you use a holy paly with righteous fury up top initially). All can be avoided by having one person up top doing something to get add aggro over anyone downstairs. This will be dependent on comp and who gets ported.