10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Oculus Rift getting closer

Since this site is launched im gonna assume that its getting closer to the time when oculus rift is out http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...demos-and-more
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've a registered developer and have been at least some what involved in VR headsets and the like since the 90s.

While the Rift is promising, I'm seeing some major issues with it that will hurt it's adoption. Even with the 1080p version, that's only 960×1080 effectively. This limitation is mitigated somewhat by the lenses that distort the screen providing a very nice field of view. However that same system prevents existing 3D inputs from being usable. You can not (for example) plug it into a blu-ray player and watch a 3D movie, even if your player supports side by side 3D it must render the distortion from the lenses in software.

So I am watching it closely, and trying to think of a good project with it I can work on, but I wouldn't call it a success just yet.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So I am watching it closely, and trying to think of a good project with it I can work on, but I wouldn't call it a success just yet.
    It will be a huge niche market. Definitely won't be mainstream. So I wonder how one would define it's success?

I think it could be big if was the gimmick for a console and released with one, but that would of course never happen.