Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Oh behave, you cant just pluck that figure out of thin air.
    Nope. That's the number of paying subscribers. And if they pay, there must be something done right in the game.

I dont have any recollection of any mass protests of the game difficulty back then.
    Oh, there was. Too bad the old forums are no longer available. But the patch history is a little hint of the difficulty:

2.0.7 four weeks after launch: Black Morass, Durnholde, Shadow Labyrinth, Coilfang Reservoir and Mana Tombs nerfed

In addition to official patchnotes, following instances got hotfix nerfs: Karazhan (multiple times, on trash and certain bosses like Nightbane and Shade of Aran), Serpentshrine Cavern, Magtheridon (multiple times), Tempest Keep raid trash

2.0.10 eight weeks after launch: Botanica, Mechanar, Arcatraz, Shattered Halls, Serpentshrine Cavern, Shadow Labyrinth, Durnholde, Black Morass and Karazhan nerfed

In addition to official patchnotes, following instances got hotfix nerfs: Karazhan (multiple fixes), SSC (many), Gruul (many, on both bosses), Magtheridon (many)

And the big one almost exactly three months after launch which nerfed raid trash respawn time from 45 minutes to 120 minutes. The insane tuning of five-man heroics, Gruul, Magtheridon and SSC/TK raid trash caused more whine threads during first two months of TBC than LFR caused during whole MoP to date.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-08-20 at 10:52 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Although this isn't the first thread to discuss this, from my PoV the OP is absolutely right and explains one of the reason why I left WoW.
    At a certain point endgame was just like:
    Cap Valor, 1 HC scen, 1 random HC, 1 Raid a week, Dailies.
    It's just so fucking lame and knowing that you play the endgame to get some badges isn't exicting at all, and
    since the 'epic feeling' of discovering WoW has abandoned me long ago the valor grind becomes even more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Nope. That's the number of paying subscribers. And if they pay, there must be something done right in the game.
    A lot of players just log in because they think they have invested too much in this game, or are afraid they will lack the social contact when not playing. Even a bigger part of the playerbase doesn't even form an opinion about what's good or bad in the game.

Oh, there was. Too bad the old forums are no longer available. But the patch history is a little hint of the difficulty:...
    And here you contradict all your previous posts about TBC. You always claim there was a very small percentage of the players raiding in TBC, and now you go on about MASS protests?

Funny how you always tell that people should be more coherent/consequent in the things they say, but at the same time you do that yourself. Aside from all the negative things you say to/about people. But hey, I once played on the same server and even in the same guild and even then people (including me) found you to be an obnoxious asshole...

It is pretty dull, but it usually always is at the end of a Patch cycle. 5.4 will come out and be interesting and new (I hope Timeless isle is a huge success). After 2-3+ Months it'll die down and get dull again because well doing the same thing 10x over each week PER characters gets boring. That's just how it is.
    Hopefully with timeless isle and Flex it'll be a little more interesting.

Keep in mind I'm not complaining. I still currently play and will do so unless I hate a raid tier since I play this game for the raiding and lore, but I can just read the lore. I don't think this is the worst they've done (Tier 13 days were 10x more dull imo).
    WoW is a grind, the whole game is built on "Grinding" like it or not you're gonna log in and do some sort of grinding 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    And here you contradict all your previous posts about TBC. You always claim there was a very small percentage of the players raiding in TBC, and now you go on about MASS protests?

Funny how you always tell that people should be more coherent/consequent in the things they say, but at the same time you do that yourself.
    Because reading is obviously quite hard for you, let me recap the most important bit from my post you just quoted without reading it through with some added emphasis:
    The insane tuning of five-man heroics, Gruul, Magtheridon and SSC/TK raid trash caused more whine threads during first two months of TBC than LFR caused during whole MoP to date.
    Aside from all the negative things you say to/about people. But hey, I once played on the same server and even in the same guild and even then people (including me) found you to be an obnoxious asshole...
    I don't remember there being "anonymous asshole #1" in the same guild as I was... at least not for long.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Well I like the game, as it was pretty much my first MMO, and it was set in the Warcraft fantasy world that i grew fond of from the RTS games. I really dont play any computer games anymore, and I find other great things to do like exercise, cycling, and other outdoor things.

If Blizzard would go back to some of the core things that made the game more exciting, and stop creating such generic, "all you can eat" type game elements, then I think some of that original excitement could come back.

What do you do in game that makes the game exciting for you? Do you feel excited when you log in? Are you just itching to log in and play genuinely out of excitement, or are you just doing so because you feel obligated to so you dont let your friends down?
    The only times I have ever been excited to log in was when I actually started playing in Vanilla as well as logging in to get to Northrend when WotLK got released (had been looking forward to seeing Northrend in WoW since the start). Other than that, who would ever be excited to just log in?

Also, if you play out of obligation, you need to get your priorities straight. I stopped playing the moments I felt that I was getting tired and then go back when I felt like it. Seems like the most sensible thing to do, to be perfectly frank.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    choosing to ignore other features does not equal the game doesnt have any. choosing not to go looking for rares, choosing not to go looking for random BoA weapons scattered around, choosing not to work on professions, choosing not to go to the gear vendors (which btw, are not in the cities either) does not mean there isnt any other stuff in the game for people.

i think you feel that way after a few months of any patch. they can gate you if you like.. but really people dont want to be gated anymore. just realize at some point you are going to be waiting for that next patch so you can have "more stuff" to do.

I just wanna say I dislike the smirk on your signatures face it's bothering me lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Stop with the asinine buzz words. Wow is an mmo just like any other mmo. Get over yourself. You aren't nearly as smart as you think you are.
    Don't bother. He's just trying to bait people with his signature and attitude. It's just a typical way to bypass the rules of these forums to be able to say and do things that otherwise would be infraction worthy if someone with a lesser vocabulary would try to say it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People that just play PVP have a very different game experience than people who do their PVP through the auction house or pet battles. People that stay out of groups have a very different experience than those who raid. Of course you can create your own game experience by putting different pieces of the game together in ways that you prefer and not doing the things you don't like. There are hundreds of different ways to play WoW. Just because the content is there for anyone to access doesn't mean that everyone is doing the same as everyone else.
    Yep. At the beginning of WotLK, I raided and ran dungeons a ton, but then got bored and started doing PvP only. Did only rated BGs and Arena in Cata along with some world PvP. At no point since I started playing did I do the exact same thing over and over or things I did not want to do at all. I either found a new path or stopped playing till I felt like it again.

In the future when WoW has more features and activities to experience, I will have more ways to play the game the way I want to. That's the strength of WoW that I frankly don't see in a lot of games, new as well as old. The size of it is why I find it so appealing.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-08-20 at 01:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Masses pay the bills. Game development is not exactly cheap.
    It is the dedicated loyal fans of the Warcraft RTS games that translated into the massive number of subs that WoW achieved. Those early WoW players were the lifeblood of the game and helped shape the game into what it is today. The "masses" are just the side crumbs, the passerbys, the transients of the WoW MMO world, and they expect everything given to them. Blizzard is happy to comply with their whining for the sake of taking that nice $15 a month out of their wallets, which adds up. The "masses" were never needed to keep Blizzard profitable.

And that is one gigantic pile of bullshit. Wanna point me towards any MMORPG that has less than 10000 subs and/or paying F2P customers released in last ten years? Or even less than 100K? The magic number seems to be around 100-200k today where publishers are pulling the plug and games are no longer profitable to maintain.
    I think you failed to pick up on his embellishment. Of course an MMO cant survive on 500 paying subs. His point was that you dont need 7 million subs to keep and stay profitable.

And no, private servers of UO does not count because those run on volunteer work, not by paid staff.
    Many private servers are funded by donations of the communities they build. People are happy to pay a "sub fee" to the ones who maintain those servers if they get what they come for. Several private servers that offer vanilla and tbc era content do make money, albeit not legally by blizzard's terms of service and copyright.

If you choose to be antisocial it's your problem. I've had some great RP experiences in WoW but not many, and not recently. RP realms are there for a reason, because you might actually find some RP there... Especially if you're actively following the realm forums and attend to events.
    I've heard this steaming pile of bull shit before. Yes, if a person chooses to be anti-social, then thats their problem, but the thing you fail to recognize is that Blizzard has created a game where there is little to no incentive to do so. They have perpetuated the anti-social agenda through their anti-social "convenience" tools and UI. Yes its convenient to sit in a city and press a button to join a dungeon, and yes its the most efficient (although lazy) ways of gaining the game points to buy epic gear from vendors. But having said that, its plain anti-social behavior encouraged by blizzard BECAUSE of the tools they implemented in game.

EQN is doing something different for the sake of being different from WoW like GW2 did last year (and failed) and what TESO is trying this year (and probably will fail for the same reason as GW2). Lack of "holy trinity" simply will not work in MMORPGs because people will lose the last bit of distinction between classes, and WoW is blamed for homogenization when GW2 has one class that does dpstankheal.
    Your "(and failed)" after what GW2 did last year is baseless and clearly shows your ignorance. GW2 has sold more copies than any other new MMO to date. GW2 actively has millions logging in each day to their servers, and they are vibrant as ever. Their content patches happen almost once a month, sometimes more, and they are pulling in revenue just fine. Learn the facts before posting such garbage. You have a clear bias towards WoW, and it is an ignorant bias at that.

Time will tell if the UGC works or not, but it did nothing for any of the previous attempts (STO, CO, Rift, Neverwinter etc). It's most anticipated MMO at the moment by EQ fanboys that got burned by EQ2 fiasco, but I personally have seen nothing yet that would hold interest of somebody like me who likes raids (unlike Wildstar which tops my list of most anticipated upcoming MMO).
    Its ironic how you use the term "fanboys" to describe people who blindly like and defend a game and its developers. You should really try out other games, and not just level a character to 5 and quit just to turn back to your god that is WoW.

I don't understand why people so vehemently defend WoW and act like criticism toward their game is a personal attack on them or their family. Its bizarre that this happens.

The whole point of my original post was to describe how WoW lacks excitement. It was not to bash the game, but people automatically go into defense mode, and think I am personally insulting them when I say anything negative about WoW.
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2013-08-20 at 04:41 PM.

Many private servers are funded by donations of the communities they build. People are happy to pay a "sub fee" to the ones who maintain those servers if they get what they come for. Several private servers that offer vanilla and tbc era content do make money, albeit not legally by blizzard's terms of service and copyright.
    Point was and is that without those donations and whole lot of volunteer work none of those niche games would be possible.

I've heard this steaming pile of bull shit before. Yes, if a person chooses to be anti-social, then thats their problem, but the thing you fail to recognize is that Blizzard has created a game where there is little to no incentive to do so. But having said that, its plain anti-social behavior encouraged by blizzard BECAUSE of the tools they implemented in game.
    Ever heard of "guns don't kill people, people kill people"? Same applies to LFD/LFR. If you choose to be antisocial it's your own damn fault.

GW2 has sold more copies than any other new MMO to date.
    O'rly? With 7M current (and over 20M former) WoW subscribers GW2's 3M is a drop in a bucket. The newspost you're referring to said that GW2 was the fastest selling MMORPG, not the best selling.

GW2 actively has millions logging in each day to their servers,
    Source? My source (ppl I know over the internet) says everybody who picked up GW2 last fall to find something better to do than grinding the same circles in WoW haven't been playing it in a long time.

Their content patches happen almost once a month, sometimes more, and they are pulling in revenue just fine.
    Quantity does not mean quality. And if you'd read more closely to what people actually say many GW2 players are pretty pissed off with ArenaNet's style of phasing everything out in two weeks.

Its ironic how you use the term "fanboys" to describe people who blindly like and defend a game and its developers.

I don't understand why people so vehemently defend WoW and act like criticism toward their game is a personal attack on them or their family. Its bizarre that this happens.
    You're quite obviously mistaking me being anti-idiot (this forum is full of selfish idiots) to being pro-Blizzard.

Neither Blizzard nor WoW is perfect, and I could easily list 20 things off the top of my head that I would do differently. The thing is that I choose to focus on the things that are right in the game and enjoy it as much as I can while avoiding the bad parts, while some others choose to start a crusade on the negative parts while avoiding anything even slightly positive there is left in the game.

The whole point of my original post was to describe how WoW lacks excitement. It was not to bash the game, but people automatically go into defense mode, and think I am personally insulting them when I say anything negative about WoW.
    Did you honestly think even for a second that with your sarcastic signature the first impressions are that you're giving constructive criticism and not just bashing it?
    Trolling should be.

If the game was left to the same TBC difficulty, we would still have the same amount of subs coming and going.
    And you're basing that comment on what, exactly?
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

WoW lacks excitement because the developers made the decision to create such a simple bucket list type system, with generic quests, and overly simple dungeon / raid design.
    The playerbase gets exactly the game they ask for.

- - - Updated - - -

Not only is it probably not even that high now (as well as many players being counted that don't actually have monthly sub fees), the more important, and currently undisclosed figure would be 'active players'.

IThe whole point of my original post was to describe how WoW lacks excitement. It was not to bash the game, but people automatically go into defense mode, and think I am personally insulting them when I say anything negative about WoW.
    Most people around here know bullshit when the see it and that comment reeks of bullshit. Now, clearly, you think people are too stupid to see it for what it is, but can assure you that most people around here see your name on a new thread, roll their eyes and think "oh look, another Jaylock thread".

The idea that you have altruistic motives when you start these stupid threads is laughable.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you honestly think even for a second that with your sarcastic signature the first impressions are that you're giving constructive criticism and not just bashing it?
    I think Jaylock is starting to believe his bullshit.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

And nothing to keeping you from playing a non-exciting game. If you don't find it enjoyable, you have no reason not to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Exactly the point. The world doesn't work that way. Guns -do- kill people. It just seems some americans need to witness a hundred school shootings first before they can come to terms with that.
    Do everyone a favor and don't generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Exactly the point. The world doesn't work that way. Guns -do- kill people. It just seems some americans need to witness a hundred school shootings first before they can come to terms with that.
    And yet less than 1% of gun owners kill people randomly while less than 1% of LFR users seem to act responsibly. Problem is not the tools, but the anonymity internet grants makes people assholes.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk about you, but I'm pretty excited for 5.4

And yet less than 1% of gun owners kill people randomly while less than 1% of LFR users seem to act responsibly. Problem is not the tools, but the anonymity internet grants makes people assholes.
    So it is not the tools? People didn't want a mandatory RealID. Guess that would change the behavior of most the toxic players a lot. Same with Cross Realm LFD/LFR. Both are "tools" Blizzard could have (not) implemented. Even you behave different in WoW and the forums than in real life, maybe i should link some personal information about you incl. screenshots. Then you can stop blaming others, because you are just as big a part of the toxic community.

Bucket List

Also whats up jaylock

So it is not the tools? People didn't want a mandatory RealID. Guess that would change the behavior of most the toxic players a lot. Same with Cross Realm LFD/LFR. Both are "tools" Blizzard could have (not) implemented.
    Problem is not the LFR, LFD, WoW or Blizzard. Problem is the internet and the lack of accountability due to it's anarchic nature. Try to make the distinction and put the blame where the blame lies. Too bad this forum has very little moderation to curb the habitual trolls unlike the official one, where even without RealID Blizzard knows very well who the assholes are and are banning those when necessary.

Even you behave different in WoW and the forums than in real life, maybe i should link some personal information about you incl. screenshots. Then you can stop blaming others, because you are just as big a part of the toxic community.
    Screenshots of your hairy arse, or what the hell are you talking about? I still have no clue who the hell are you and what I have done to wrong you (outside your imagination) before you started begging for attention in this thread.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-08-20 at 08:29 PM.
    Trolling should be.