Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW Lacks Excitement

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I reflected on why WoW lacks excitement currently. Its not because the downtime between patch cycles, but it stems from a much greater problem than that.

WoW has become a bucket list. Now hear me out on this. The game is essentially played by creating a bucket list and following that list.

1) Login.

Goal: Cap valor asap and continue to do so on other characters

2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    4) Battlefield Barrens weekly
    5) An LFR or two
    6) Rinse and repeat.

Notice the only thing getting the player out in the world is the barrens weekly quest. Everything else is queued for. Its just not exciting. And after one week of the barrens quest, it gets old, especially when its done on other characters.

Where is the excitement of logging in, and then figuring out in game what you wanted to do for the day? There are no more goals that are actually worthy of time and effort other than heroic raiding, and even that becomes dull because you essentially fought the same boss with some ability bloat to create difficulty.

Now contrast that to an epic quest chain like the Onyxia quest line (for Alliance). There were several steps, and accomplishing each step just to gain access to that raid boss felt like you were gaining ground. You got gear along the way inevitably as you went through BRD and other dungeons. The player felt like a part of the quest. Or the quest chain that gave access to the Black Temple. Each step in the quest felt amazing because you saw how your accomplishments opened new parts of the game for you to explore. Now, the legendary quest chain is just another bucket list type quest chain. Its too carved out in stone, and feels generic.

TL;DR

WoW lacks excitement because the developers made the decision to create such a simple bucket list type system, with generic quests, and overly simple dungeon / raid design.

In other words, the game is great in the gameplay department, but lags behind in the excitement factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    choosing to ignore other features does not equal the game doesnt have any. choosing not to go looking for rares, choosing not to go looking for random BoA weapons scattered around, choosing not to work on professions, choosing not to go to the gear vendors (which btw, are not in the cities either) does not mean there isnt any other stuff in the game for people.

i think you feel that way after a few months of any patch. they can gate you if you like.. but really people dont want to be gated anymore. just realize at some point you are going to be waiting for that next patch so you can have "more stuff" to do.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2013-08-19 at 07:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    That's why I mostly pvp nowadays by the time I get to hc mode raiding I'm burnt out by doing the raids a 1000 times on other difficulties where there is very little challenge. PVP may not but ully balanced but at last I can do it when I want and get excitement and challenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    choosing to ignore other features does not equal the game doesnt have any. choosing not to go looking for rares, choosing not to go looking for random BoA weapons scattered around, choosing not to work on professions, choosing not to go to the gear vendors (which btw, are not in the cities either) does not mean there isnt any other stuff in the game for people.
    All part of the bucket list aspect the game has turned into. Arguably this list of items you presented are menial at best, and are more of time wasters rather than actual content. Blizzard has done a great job training people to think that time consuming / wasting activities = content.

I don't disagree with you that those are things a player could potentially do, I just disagree with you that those are exciting things to do.

"Wow lacks excitement....for me" Fixed. Sounds like you only play wow because of previous time invested. If its stale, take a break.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still get excited when I get a new piece of gear/upgrade, or if I get a new transmog worthy item from doing older content.

Deleted
    What really puzzles me about Jaylock is that he still hasn't grasped the simple concept of personal opinion does NOT = fact. I mean that in the friendliest manner possible.

As has been pointed out, the game obviously lacked excitement for you and that is why you quit. Good choice I say, so just move on, dwelling on something is well...dwelling on something. Unhealthy & distracting to more important issues.

Also,

Blizzard has done a great job training people to think that time consuming / wasting activities = content.
    That is just hilarious coming from someone who believes Vanilla/TBC were the "glory" days of WoW. Oh and I certainly don't rubbish TBC when I started. Sigh. If you enjoyed it back then, good for you, if I enjoy it now, good for me. To each their own.

There are no more goals that are actually worthy of time and effort other than heroic raiding, and even that becomes dull because you essentially fought the same boss with some ability bloat to create difficulty.
    People who indeed saw it on LFR and then went on to do it on HC/Normal have "Diablo 3 syndrome" ^_^ (Sadly with D3 I couldn't skip Normal or Hell which were pathetically easy .___. but hey, I can't expect EVERYONE to be able to conform to my skill level, can I?).

Oh and you can have a skilled but relaxed approach to WoW. It is possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    In TBC it was:

-get attuned
    - do raids
    - get exalted

What exactly changed?

PVP is where I get enjoyment from the game now, but it is also equally frustrating. The only role I find tolerable is healing.

For me it is the repetitive nature of the daily routine, which is compounded by the constant gating of content. I know what I want to achieve in the game, but I also know its going to playout today. I am limited to only completing a small portion of the goal, with the only option being to repeat the same path the next day to get further. It is grinding essentially, with training wheels and on a rail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycefli View Post
    What really puzzles me about Jaylock is that he still hasn't grasped the simple concept of personal opinion does NOT = fact. I mean that in the friendliest manner possible.

As has been pointed out, the game obviously lacked excitement for you and that is why you quit. Good choice I say, so just move on, dwelling on something is well...dwelling on something. Unhealthy & distracting to more important issues.

Also,

That is just hilarious coming from someone who believes Vanilla/TBC were the "glory" days of WoW. Oh and I certainly don't rubbish TBC when I started. Sigh. If you enjoyed it back then, good for you, if I enjoy it now, good for me. To each their own.

People who indeed saw it on LFR and then went on to do it on HC/Normal have "Diablo 3 syndrome" ^_^ (Sadly with D3 I couldn't skip Normal or Hell which were pathetically easy .___. but hey, I can't expect EVERYONE to be able to conform to my skill level, can I?).

Oh and you can have a skilled but relaxed approach to WoW. It is possible.
    I think you are misunderstanding my position. Im not saying the game is not a good game, im saying it lacks excitement. The thrill of discovery is no longer there. It is one giant to-do list. From logging in, to doing your " cap valor / conquest" list, to doing LFR just to move an item level number up. The excitement of the game died with the "glory days" as you put it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    And that's what's wrong with you. If your only reason to play this game is to get valor capped every week, you should unsubscribe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are misunderstanding my position. Im not saying the game is not a good game, im saying it lacks excitement. The thrill of discovery is no longer there. It is one giant to-do list. From logging in, to doing your " cap valor / conquest" list, to doing LFR just to move an item level number up. The excitement of the game died with the "glory days" as you put it.
    Because people need to find excitement for themselves some of the time, go off the the main road and head to the side roads to see what is there, the best way to find excitement is to do something unexpected. It's hard to develop something that has that "Wow that is amazing" moment which people experienced back when they started playing. There is only so much Blizzard can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Nice signature you got there.
    Next time, make it less obvious you just want people to agree with you.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

It's called nostalgia. That is what you're talking about in your post. Plain and simple. You miss things that made the game exciting for you, but that is just your opinion on why you feel the game was exciting. To me, everything that made the game exciting for YOU was not for me. It was the exact opposite. Pre-quests were a waste of time and attunement as well was one of the dumbest things ever implemented. Doing it on one character was fine, but having to do it on every character every time? That was a terrible design mechanic and probably the reason Blizzard removed it. It was pointless.

Next, you talk about the legendary questline being too much of a bucket list. Too carved out in stone. As opposed to the famous glaives in BC where they were just a drop off the final boss or Molten Core where everything was a horribly low RNG nightmare? Sure, those legendary's were much better.

There is plenty to do if you want to get out there and into the open world. Achievements (titles, archaeology, just to name a few) going off to solo older content for transmog gear, mounts, pets, battling pets etc. If you have everything, well then you just accomplished your goals, right?

1) Login.

I don't do this. I don't need valor anymore on my main nor do I really need any on my alts. First thing I do is try to see what transmog items I need on my various characters and run the instances or do the quests I need to get those items.

2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    4) Battlefield Barrens weekly
    I only do the daily heroic on my Paladin cause I still need 1 more JC recipe. Once I get it I won't bother anymore. I don't do heroic Scenario's unless I see somenody asking and I have time. Else I don't bother. I haven't done the Battlefield barrens since the second week.

5) An LFR or two
    I only run Pinnacle on my Horde Priest, Restro Druid, and Restro Shammy for tier set bonuses. That is the extent of LFR running on my seven 90's.

6) Rinse and repeat.
    I raid on raid nights, I pug raids on offnights if I feel up to it. Else I may do challenge modes, or go rare hunting, maybe level up my low level priest, or even do a few pet battles. I won't PvP, I hate PvP. >.>

I don't know why you feel compelled to chain run LFR and get VP capped on every character. That isn't needed. There are other aspects of the game that you can do to enjoy. If you choose to ignore those other aspects then that isn't the fault of the developers, that's all on you.

Guess you're just tired of WoW if it doesn't excite you.

I get excited just by logging on to get my daily Spirits of Harmony from my farm. That's all I do, except Wednesday when raids reset. Why does it excite me? Cuz with it I get more mats for 5.4 and engineering. Why does Wednesday excite me? Cuz I might get my last upgrades or some pets or Ashes of Al'ar. If you can't find excitement in something then why bother? (Yes, same goes for real life, if your job/school isn't exciting at all, then don't, you got options)

Too bad you lost the excitement. Maybe you'll get it back someday.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    In TBC it was:

-get attuned
    - do raids
    - get exalted

What exactly changed?
    Ffs i wish i knew how to multi quote but here goes

(1) Time

(2) a Bloody lot of time and abilty

(3) Really want me to say it again

Dont bite my head of mate its just a question, but why cant the content be harder and the patches longer in between releases?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    And that's what's wrong with you. If your only reason to play this game is to get valor capped every week, you should unsubscribe.
    Unsubscribed along with the rest of the 700,000 a couple quarters ago.

It wasnt just the valor cap thing, it was several factors, and the lacking excitement was one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.

It wasnt just the valor cap thing, it was several factors, and the lacking excitement was one of them.
    So how many years did you play.
    You could make a "bucket list" out of pretty much any point of WoW, so what is the particular issue right now?
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2013-08-19 at 08:22 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account

What did you do to try to find excitement ?

Also if you are that tired of the game as you signature "people still play wow?" suggests then just move on and stop worrying about the people who still play.