Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I agree with you that there is an element of excitement for killing heroic bosses and attaining high ranks in PvP, but you are missing the point. In regards to PvE, I just fail to see how its exciting to continue killing bosses in multiple difficulty levels just to accommodate people who want to "see the content."

PvP is really the only thing that is unpredictable in the game, and even so, only to a certain degree.

The game before all this panda nonsense had an element of goal setting and working towards those goals. Even though those goals (in the form of quests and objectives) were required, it felt like you as a player were accomplishing much more than simply completing a quest. Completing those quests gave you access to new content, even though the content had already been developed and in game for possibly months.

Now everything is a calculated, time sink. The bucket list mentality that Blizzard has created had fooled people into thinking that it is exciting to waste hours farming bones to get a mount, or to cap valor, or to run every one of your alts through lfr, or to.. you get the idea.
    I get your idea, but I don't agree with your point of view. If YOU were fooled by the bone hunts or capping valor or running lfr over and over, than that's on you. Trying to claim it as fact that everyone else experiences the way you do and PLAY the way you did, is just arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    Their's no excitement of discovery because of how long you've been playing. It's like a drug, the first few times you take a hit it's fucking amazing. Then it slowly dwindles down and you keep doing it to try and 're-discover' that feeling. Wow felt so good at one point because it was all new, you didn't know too much and discovered it on your own. Their are no 'glory days' their is nostalgia though, people remember things how they want to. A person who hasn't played many MMOs and starts in MoP, those will be his/her glory days because it's a brand new experience. /thread.
    Really astonishing how many people can´t understand this simple fact.

Well I like the game, as it was pretty much my first MMO, and it was set in the Warcraft fantasy world that i grew fond of from the RTS games. I really dont play any computer games anymore, and I find other great things to do like exercise, cycling, and other outdoor things.

If Blizzard would go back to some of the core things that made the game more exciting, and stop creating such generic, "all you can eat" type game elements, then I think some of that original excitement could come back.

What do you do in game that makes the game exciting for you? Do you feel excited when you log in? Are you just itching to log in and play genuinely out of excitement, or are you just doing so because you feel obligated to so you dont let your friends down?
    So basically you want game play taken from others and that will make you enjoy the game more. No. Hell no. Get out and stay out.

10+ Year Old Account
    All part of the bucket list aspect the game has turned into. Arguably this list of items you presented are menial at best, and are more of time wasters rather than actual content. Blizzard has done a great job training people to think that time consuming / wasting activities = content.

I don't disagree with you that those are things a player could potentially do, I just disagree with you that those are exciting things to do.
    Is this "bucket list" buzzword something you thought was clever to describe things you don't like? And btw. The Dark Below is happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I think you're confusing 'excitement' with 'fun'.

You'll never be sitting on the edge of your seat for what might happen next if there is no risk of you 'losing' something. WoW is a convenience MMO, any form of meaningful excitement isn't welcome in it, because such excitement and adrenaline can only be simulated by the risk and danger of losing stuff and being set back. There is also no real platform for 'involuntary' events, the one time they added the possibility of involuntary risk was back with the WotLK pre-launch zombie event, and that had tons of people crying already because they had to corpserun.

When you park your avatar in your city you're as safe as a kitten in a soft cozy blanket. You can't suddenly have your online day being turned upside down because Alliance/Horde decided to raid your city and steal your stuff.

So I don't think it's wrong at all to say, that objectively speaking, on a potential excitement meter WoW would score pretty lowly.
    This is closer to what I had in mind when the game play is decent, but that WoW lacks excitement. Not only this, but the general sense of legitimately wanting to log in is diminished by the fact that the game has turned into a giant bucket list.

The last time I logged into WoW, I looked around and thought to myself, "Whats the point?" "Why did I even log in today to be put into a situation where I dont have to do anything remotely worthwhile to access new and exciting content?" Its all at my fingertips with the click of a button.

And the mentality of guilds, and the general in game population feels towards raiding and such is just plain boring. Its a bucket list of guilds, progressing on the SAME RAID.

At least there was variety in Vanilla, TBC and to some extent WOTLK with guilds being on varying levels of progression and you could choose where you wanted to be based on your own progression.

I think you're confusing 'excitement' with 'fun'.

You'll never be sitting on the edge of your seat for what might happen next if there is no risk of you 'losing' something. WoW is a convenience MMO, any form of meaningful excitement isn't welcome in it, because such excitement and adrenaline can only be simulated by the risk and danger of losing stuff and being set back. There is also no real platform for 'involuntary' events, the one time they added the possibility of involuntary risk was back with the WotLK pre-launch zombie event, and that had tons of people crying already because they had to corpserun.

When you park your avatar in your city you're as safe as a kitten in a soft cozy blanket. You can't suddenly have your online day being turned upside down because Alliance/Horde decided to raid your city and steal your stuff.

So I don't think it's wrong at all to say, that objectively speaking, on a potential excitement meter WoW would score pretty lowly.
    Stop with the asinine buzz words. Wow is an mmo just like any other mmo. Get over yourself. You aren't nearly as smart as you think you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think WoW can really do with a FFXI Nyzul style event.

It is basically, a 100 floor tower climb, 5man (well, 6 is the standard party number in FFXI).

Every floor, is RANDOMLY GENERATED, so everytime you enter, it looks different. And, each floor has different objectives, which is also randomly generated, although basically come down to

a) kill everything on this floor
    b) kill a specific mob on this floor
    c) kill a family of mob on this floor (for example, all the slimes on this floor)
    d) light 2-5 torches, at the same times (people need to move out solo and find the torches)
    e) light 2-5 torches, in a specific order (this one is tough)
    f) free, you can go straight to next floor, with a shop here to stock up on temporary items.

You get 30min when you enter and you must clear 5 levels in order to save progress, and every 20 floor it is a boss battle, and can drop 1 out of the 3 sets, 20th floor drops boots, 40th floor drop gloves and so on, but random on which set.

Sometimes you get extra issue when you enter a floor, like there are these floating robot type thingy call gear:

- do not get discovered by gear (aggro one means lose time)
    - do not kill any gear (killing them lose time, so cc them)

On top of that you want a balance group as sometimes you get really bastard floor restrictions:
    - no white magic (main healing magic, but there are other form of healings available)
    - no black magic (no standard nukes, really shitty on floor with a lot of physical resistence mobs)
    - no abilities usage

Oh also you can encounter ANY world rare mobs in here (and can drop their rare drop here also, some rare mobs in FFXI have like 16+ hours spawn window so their drops are really good and valuable), but obviously the version here is adjusted to be hard for a 5 man group (but doable in 5man, as some of the world rare need a raid group to kill). Fighting one of these rare, very likely to cause you not being able to clear 5 floors within time limit (but doable), so a lot of the time it is a choice on the rare or floor progress.

I have enter floor 60 boss with healing restriction before, which was shitty but did it in the end (barely). But things like this could be really fresh for WoW:

- low man
    - challenging
    - something to work towards (floor 100)
    - reward 1 (20/40/60/80/100 floor boss drop)
    - reward 2 (come across a valuable rare)
    - always fresh, every floor and objective always random
    - everyone get to do something (like torch objective, healers are not just standing there and heal like usual)

This is easily one of the event I missed from FFXI the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    In TBC it was:

-get attuned
    - do raids
    - get exalted

What exactly changed?

^^^THIS, THIS, THIS^^^^
    And to the OP, MMO tend to follow are formulated path and eventually it becomes rinse and repeat with new clothing; Now to think about it, some persons Lifestyle in and of itself becomes rinse and repeat after a certain time. You can mix up the order in which you go about things but you still doing the same..

I think the OP is picking on a part of WoW that has existed from the launch of Wow and in most MMO..

This is closer to what I had in mind when the game play is decent, but that WoW lacks excitement. Not only this, but the general sense of legitimately wanting to log in is diminished by the fact that the game has turned into a giant bucket list.

The last time I logged into WoW, I looked around and thought to myself, "Whats the point?" "Why did I even log in today to be put into a situation where I dont have to do anything remotely worthwhile to access new and exciting content?" Its all at my fingertips with the click of a button.

And the mentality of guilds, and the general in game population feels towards raiding and such is just plain boring. Its a bucket list of guilds, progressing on the SAME RAID.

At least there was variety in Vanilla, TBC and to some extent WOTLK with guilds being on varying levels of progression and you could choose where you wanted to be based on your own progression.
    Oh for fucks sake.

Variety in vanilla? Raid or pvp or run UBRS for the millionth time.
    Variety in TBC? Raid or pvp and watch every guild you join blow up due to the poaching TBC progression created
    Variety in Wrath? Raid or pvp or do a bunch of dailies or run the same raid 4 times a week just because.

All the content we could do prior to Mop we can still do in addition to pet battles, LFR, transmog runs, dailies, achievements and many other things. How is there LESS variety now when there is MORE to do now than ever before? you are absolutely full of shit.

Really, what you named are just things that can be done. VP cap is important yes, but there are other things to do. Especially for people who havent played since the beginning of world of warcraft. And example of this; do an old raid for some xmog gear, i really do like doing this because it gives me an idea of the old lore.

Deleted
    I've had a very long day at work and I am very very sorry but when I saw this topic in 'General Discussions' it said 'Wow lacks excrement' and I thought the OP was advocating us having to lead a raid for 12.6 minutes as we had to 'drop ye olde daily groceries.'

In TBC it was:

-get attuned
    - do raids
    - get exalted

What exactly changed?
    in tbc you also had world bosses, world pvp, decent competition in arena(and ofc arena was new) and pve was actually challenging and worth doing

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Stop with the asinine buzz words. Wow is an mmo just like any other mmo. Get over yourself. You aren't nearly as smart as you think you are.
    That's not true - EQ/WoW-style MMOs may currently be the most popular ones but this doesn't mean that they are the only style of MMOs (remember Ultima Online?). Darkfall and to a lesser degree EVE Online would be examples for current MMOs that get your adrenaline rushing by featuring a real risk of loss.
    Last edited by florestan; 2013-08-19 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanaubia View Post
    in tbc you also had world bosses, world pvp, decent competition in arena(and ofc arena was new) and pve was actually challenging and worth doing
    In MoP you have world bosses, world pvp (dark portal), arenas, challening PvE (hard modes) that is worth doing. And your point was?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I think WoW can really do with a FFXI Nyzul style event.

It is basically, a 100 floor tower climb, 5man (well, 6 is the standard party number in FFXI).

Every floor, is RANDOMLY GENERATED, so everytime you enter, it looks different. And, each floor has different objectives, which is also randomly generated, although basically come down to

a) kill everything on this floor
    b) kill a specific mob on this floor
    c) kill a family of mob on this floor (for example, all the slimes on this floor)
    d) light 2-5 torches, at the same times (people need to move out solo and find the torches)
    e) light 2-5 torches, in a specific order (this one is tough)
    f) free, you can go straight to next floor, with a shop here to stock up on temporary items.

You get 30min when you enter and you must clear 5 levels in order to save progress, and every 20 floor it is a boss battle, and can drop 1 out of the 3 sets, 20th floor drops boots, 40th floor drop gloves and so on, but random on which set.

Sometimes you get extra issue when you enter a floor, like there are these floating robot type thingy call gear:

- do not get discovered by gear (aggro one means lose time)
    - do not kill any gear (killing them lose time, so cc them)

On top of that you want a balance group as sometimes you get really bastard floor restrictions:
    - no white magic (main healing magic, but there are other form of healings available)
    - no black magic (no standard nukes, really shitty on floor with a lot of physical resistence mobs)
    - no abilities usage

Oh also you can encounter ANY world rare mobs in here (and can drop their rare drop here also, some rare mobs in FFXI have like 16+ hours spawn window so their drops are really good and valuable), but obviously the version here is adjusted to be hard for a 5 man group (but doable in 5man, as some of the world rare need a raid group to kill). Fighting one of these rare, very likely to cause you not being able to clear 5 floors within time limit (but doable), so a lot of the time it is a choice on the rare or floor progress.

I have enter floor 60 boss with healing restriction before, which was shitty but did it in the end (barely). But things like this could be really fresh for WoW:

- low man
    - challenging
    - something to work towards (floor 100)
    - reward 1 (20/40/60/80/100 floor boss drop)
    - reward 2 (come across a valuable rare)
    - always fresh, every floor and objective always random
    - everyone get to do something (like torch objective, healers are not just standing there and heal like usual)

This is easily one of the event I missed from FFXI the most.
    i still play FFXI (Cerberus Server) and 95% of nyzul was ppl wall hacking and Moding Dats so they could set floors they get to go to. and Nyzul was hard at the start because noone knew what to do (Besides the Japanese players base ofc. . . .) once everyone figured it out, it was EZPZ. and more so with the lvl 99 Vrs, 3-4 Empys and its GG. i get what your saying but the reason it works in FFXI is because its a VERY different game, and was when Nyzul 1at came around. Pre Abyssea. . . . miss those days =/

This is why PvP > PvE, even though MMO PvP is inferior to nearly every other genre. Every single battle is different, not to mention world PvP.

The most exciting part of the game for me right now is logging out after heroic clears.

where other MMOs might put more emphasis on roleplay, player created content, economy, politics and other things which don't get any attention at all in WoW.
    Those are just bits of flavor, not the defining characteristics of any widely successful MMORPG. With one exception of Eve's niche with focus on player driven economy.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    In TBC it was:

-get attuned
    - do raids
    - get exalted

What exactly changed?
    attunement doesnt exist anymore...and you barely need heroics anymore... its very different
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So arcade games didn't have difficulty levels? Why do I get the feeling you don't even know what an arcade is much less actually been in one. wow is the same game it ever was with more stuff tacked onto it to do if you so choose to. If you want to play it as a raid and die game go right on ahead no one will stop you.
    I give you a reading comprehension score of 0. I said WoW has arcade elements.