Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    Edgy.

I did google it, and failed to see how that case is relevant to this discussion, which apparently is about "cyber bullying", not rape and bullying in real life. The case of Parsons you mentioned was 100% real life, and not ones and zeroes, "angry words" on a forum or twitter.

I'm trying to figure what went trough your head when you wrote that, other than feigning righteous indignation.
    Bullying can be JUST WORDS. Whether those words are spoken, written, or typed doesn't matter if they elicit a similar response from the victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    1. The writers in DA2 did a pretty mediocre job.

2. #1 is not worthy of a death threat. They do however deserve to lose the honor of writing for the franchise again.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

You have the most unrealistic view of MMO development ever. Like...no offense but you would make a terrible game that would be impossible to balance. You're asking them to be perfect, which is the most unreasonable expectation ever.

Get back to me when you find perfection and we'll talk about how this is a possibility. Until then, I'll continue to tell you that you have the most unreasonable expectations ever.
    Simple fact;100% of player nerfs game industry wide are 100% avoidable with proper testing.

Today they have test servers and data analysis from which is researchable at blazing speed so it is not an unreasonable expectation to get most everything right prior to going live.

The problem is either the laziness to use those tools or the incompetence to comprehend the end results from those tools and discern a proper corrective action, I simply would not tolerate either.

What does get though still does not require nerfs, you use a buff only approach, take the CoD guns for example, they should have never been nerfed, other weapons should have been buffed to be in line with them, if players are dying to quickly as a result then you buff armor and health to offset it, you never ever have to take away. Granted it will be more work for the developer but they are the ones that need to pay the price for their mistakes in the first place, not the player so to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    Simple fact;100% of player nerfs game industry wide are 100% avoidable with proper testing.

Today they have test servers and data analysis from which is researchable at blazing speed so it is not an unreasonable expectation to get most everything right prior to going live.

The problem is either the laziness to use those tools or the incompetence to comprehend the end results from those tools and discern a proper corrective action, I simply would not tolerate either.

What does get though still does not require nerfs, you use a buff only approach, take the CoD guns for example, they should have never been nerfed, other weapons should have been buffed to be in line with them, if players are dying to quickly as a result then you buff armor and health to offset it, you never ever have to take away. Granted it will be more work for the developer but they are the ones that need to pay the price for their mistakes in the first place, not the player so to bad.
    The number of variables to take into consideration when trying to balance anything in any game are countless. People are going to complain about imbalance in many games anyways. Hell, I remember growing up and my friends would complain that I used Donatello in the first TMNT game; they called it cheap and unfair, etc. It wasn't even a competitive or multiplayer game. That's just the way some gamers are.

Design the perfect game. Seriously, go out and tell the publishers that you can make a perfect multiplayer game that will never need a single balance change ever if they give you the resources.

Then enjoy having them laugh at you because it's an impossible task. Perfection doesn't exist. Seriously. Nerfs sometimes happen, and it's not the end of the world.

What does get though still does not require nerfs, you use a buff only approach, take the CoD guns for example, they should have never been nerfed, other weapons should have been buffed to be in line with them
    So instead of making extremely minor changes to 2-3 weapons, they now need to do minor changes to the dozens and dozens of other weapons? That makes zero sense from a development perspective as it takes infinitely more time.

And what happens if one of the guns they buff ends up being a bit too overbuffed? Guess we'd better buff all the other guns to compensate. Oh, and that accidentally buffed another gun a hair too much, better buff everything else again!

See where I'm going with that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Thanks for the free demonstration of internet bully.

There's a lot of fucked up and outright insane people around who are stalking game developers IRL and even sending them death threats. Those things need to be taken seriously.
    How was that bullying?

Simple fact;100% of player nerfs game industry wide are 100% avoidable with proper testing
    "Proper testing" as you put it doesn't happen until the masses get a hold of it. You can't hire enough testers to test balance the way that a released game is "tested". You can get it close maybe but someone will find an imbalance somewhere.

It's easy to criticize.. but hard to actually come out with an actual solution.. That's the main difference between critic and designer.. And that's why some QAs never turn into designers.

People need to control themselves better over the internet and behave or we're going to start getting rules and censorship forced on it. Constant harassment and cruelty is exactly the fuel someone would need to convince others that a free internet is not a good idea.

Granted, I still think expressing negative opinions about things over the internet had done wonders to hasten the effect of word of mouth in rewarding those who make good products and punishing those who don't. People just need to calm down and realize that their favorite game franchise going a new direction does not warrant death threats and constant harassment of customers.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-08-26 at 06:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.