Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

What spec are you starting 5.4 with

Hi All

Like a lot of readers that come to this site and I'm sure there are many we really are relying on some of you skilled players and number crunches for the advise me I'm a casual player love my mage and would love time to drill into it but cannot, so I take all advise from you guys and especially the regulars and its been solid

with 5.4 many of us would like some easy advise - What spec to start

So question is assume 538ilvl mage

Is fire reasonable to compete - eg will the combustion nerf kill us ( at present for me anyways can obliterate the numbers on council fight and even at the start single target with the burst but then get hunted down over the fight by other classes this might be gone with combustion nerf )- will fire be solid still considering so many fight require movement and adds

Frost - are the numbers solid enough and the aoe ok to give good number for add fights

arcane - whilst restricted movement lessened a little with ROP change is this enough to make it viable and is there enough ae to make it solid for 5.4

I know this is noobish post but many people here I know that read would like some simple advise like you guys did in 5.3 start frost low ilvl when high enough go fire -

So help your fellow mages out if you can and at worst post what you will be in start of 5.4

Fire will of course be competitive, the nerf is only ~8% from live I believe. Frost is yet to be determined, it has the potential to be competitive if they get the numbers right but with the new mastery and rppm nerf its sitting at ~10% less then live. Arcane has yet to see an nerfs and with the RoP buff and its very good scaling I can see it being the top spec. I will be staying arcane unless Blizz gets their shot together and fixes frost and if it happens ill go back frost even if it is 5% or less behind fire\arcane.

Probably Arcane for me.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My mage has been Arcane since we had the wand talent.

I'm not changing now.

Fire on cleave and Arcane on single target with little movement. Most of the fights in Soo can be easily labeled for Fire or Arcane. I havent noticed any HUGE loss in numbers on the PTR as Fire and as was mentioned Frost is still far behind with Arcane being good.

10+ Year Old Account
    50% arcane 50% frost. My decision is pending if there are any more tweaks to see, and numbers to crunch. I am not fond of fire. <pours fire retardant on self>
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Fire, with arcane on the back-burner ready to go if it turns out to be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by unholyness View Post
    Fire on cleave and Arcane on single target with little movement. Most of the fights in Soo can be easily labeled for Fire or Arcane. I havent noticed any HUGE loss in numbers on the PTR as Fire and as was mentioned Frost is still far behind with Arcane being good.
    That won't really work, unless you have 2 sets of gear. Gems and reforging is completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by unholyness View Post
    You realize combustion is still bugged on the PTR right?

Going to start with fire even after combustion nerf doing great damage and mobility gives you extra twist compared to other specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusteyy View Post
    You realize combustion is still bugged on the PTR right?
    It was working as intended in PTR testing today.
    Last edited by Janir; 2013-08-20 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janir View Post
    It was working as intended in PTR testing today.
    Proof? Blue post? SS? Something lol

I am too lazy to check myself, I am fully gemmed/reforged/enchanted for arcane atm.
    Last edited by Dusteyy; 2013-08-20 at 08:39 PM.

Deleted
    Arcane seems superior from ptr testing, but normal modes will help me determine which fights i can't pull of as arcane. The only fight as of right now were i believe arcane wont be superior on HC are Norushen, iron juggernaut and tok.

I'm still waiting for the final numbers to decide between Fire or Arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagmonster View Post
    Arcane seems superior from ptr testing, but normal modes will help me determine which fights i can't pull of as arcane. The only fight as of right now were i believe arcane wont be superior on HC are Norushen, iron juggernaut and tok.
    Yeah, Arcane will do well on many fights. I partially agree with you on these. Norushen will have multidot, and both Nurushen and Tok have movement heavy moments, but they're not that long. Iron Jugg...idk. I see a lot of micro movement that won't take you out of rop.

arcane, fire is unplayable for me mentally since its only 2 buttons now and the skill was removed from it....oh and the -12% dmg was pretty big too

arcane is still awesome, i can turret 250k with it on live so im expecting to push past 300k with some 5.4 gear

10+ Year Old Account
    Will get ready to go Arcane once I get the gear for it. Currently Crit heavy with some mastery and haste, so need to switch it all around hard. Will start out as Fire however.

If frost is even close to 5%-7% with in Arcane or Fire. Well I am going frost. Atm in time I am Fire. I like arcane but, ey Idk what I am going at this point in time til they number crunch and see what they are going to do with us.

Deleted
    Fire.

./10chars

Gonna go arcane for normals, gonna carry a shitton of mastery and crit gems for heroics, fight by fight the way it should be

Deleted
    Arcane because we get a buff in next patch (and fire get nerfed) and it seems strong on many if not all of the fights.
    Arcane T15H 4P as it is now is superior to T16H 4P, if the numbers don't change that would leave more tokens for my guildmates.