Deleted

Boomkin question about Solar Eclipse AOE

Hello Forums!

I just recently got back into wow after a long break and after years of playing a Elemental Shaman i decided to go Boomer instead.
    I read up on countless guides and watched videos and I think I got the hang of it somewhat. Im no hardcore player or anything,
    we usually clear about 75-85% of heroic content during a patch.
    Anyway, I think i got the hang of the rotation, but there is one thing i just cant seem to find on any guide, maybe im just beeing blind
    or stupid ^^.

I´ve seen multiple posts saying you should always be in Solar to AoE, wich makes sense since it buffs WM and Hurricane i suppose.
    But i´ve also seen ppl saying you should start in Solar in fights where you actually cant use either WM effectively or Hurricane.
    What I´m thinking of is ppl saying you should start in Solar during the Counsil of Elders encounter. Im clearly missing something here since
    from what i can tell, they are too far apart to make use of WM or Hurricane. My little brain tells me to just start in lunar and use MF on all
    of them and Starfall. since you cant use most of the spells that are buffed by solar eclipse, why start in solar? Isnt an Eclipsed MF just as
    strong as an Eclipsed SF? And on the fights where you need to AoE but cant use either WM or hurricane, wouldnt it be just the same to use
    Lunar eclipse and MF as to use Solar and using SF? The only difference beeing in Lunar you could use Starfall for actually MORE AoE dps?

Like i said, i can understand beeing in solar if WM and Hurricane is an option, but if you are just multidotting and using SS for the spread out AoE,
    my senses tells me to be in Lunar, and I just try to get away from solar and into Lunar agains ASAP.

Thankful for help

Your maybe looking into this from the wrong angle, you don't sit in AOE for any real period of time anymore - this isnt cata. You get NG when you enter an eclipse, you use this to buff either AOE your running, and then try getting out of that eclipse whilst you've still got a little NG left to get into the next eclipse.

The shrooms now are often used on the pull as you use CA (to whore meters) or used for their slowing effect, which if your in 25m would be covered, probably 10m also.

On council, you wouldnt really use hurricane at all, your just whoring dps if you do as you need to be dotting all mobs up and pumping SS into the current focus target.

Soruzi
    Rogue

Draenor

Deleted
    Sorry I seem to have made my question hard to understand so i´ll rephrase it:

Is Solar eclipse better for AoE if you cant use WM or Hurricane?
    Why do I hear ppl say I should start in Solar during Counsil of Elders?

Cheers

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ive got the same question some time ago. Its all about the start and multidoting potential. Basicaly you can use one of two best possible openers.
    First is single target opener (less bursty) but with a bit higher sustained in lets say 1 minute. Second with a bit better burst (especially useful on multidoting from the start, and when bl is pop on the start, and all your trinkets pops up).
    So first is lunar opener which is the one described in guides where you start 25 to lunar, pop starfall, cast wrath, then incarnation till 0 energy and then CA etc etc.
    Second one is solar where you start in solar, starfall, pot, precast wrath, then CA+INC+Everything else u got. Dot up as many targets as possible, normal rotation, dot up before CA ends, and move as fast as possible to lunar to cast starfall, and just refresh moonfire dot before incarnation fades.
    So basically you get same amount of starfalls, but you are in the opposite eclipse in same moments of fights, which might be usefull for AOE timing, or as mentioned before, for better multidoting (CA at start, not after 15s of start) potential at the start of fight like councils or twins. Some people even say it is better when combined with BL like on durumu.
    Last edited by Hucio; 2013-08-23 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzorhail View Post
    Sorry I seem to have made my question hard to understand so i´ll rephrase it:

Is Solar eclipse better for AoE if you cant use WM or Hurricane?
    Why do I hear ppl say I should start in Solar during Counsil of Elders?

Cheers
    I'm not sure why you would be concerned with this if your not doing any AoE?

Also, regarding CoE - it's down to if you have RPPM trinkets or not - it's not going to make or break you, even on heroic.

Soruzi
    Rogue

Draenor

For council: Start in solar, prepot+starfall, precast starfire use Inc+CA then dot 4 targets with your pot, trinkets and extra banners and totems etc down too and lust = big dps
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

We're confident the .01% left will be thrilled to attend a post-apocalyptic BlizzCon.

You're misunderstanding the purpose of Solar, outside of aoe.

It's simply, start in Solar, Starfall Incarnation CA -> Dot all the things. It's to take advantage of all your RPM procs, and to be honest, I think it's over-used in the community.

Unless you have 3+ targets or a special scenario, ie Magaera heads dying too fast to use all 30 seconds of Incarnation, just do a normal lunar rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fountaiin View Post
    You're misunderstanding the purpose of Solar, outside of aoe.

It's simply, start in Solar, Starfall Incarnation CA -> Dot all the things. It's to take advantage of all your RPM procs, and to be honest, I think it's over-used in the community.

Unless you have 3+ targets or a special scenario, ie Magaera heads dying too fast to use all 30 seconds of Incarnation, just do a normal lunar rotation.
    Delaying CA by 2sec for Garrosh was amazing. Tipping 1mil DPS...I wish I had SS procs to spare, though. With a Lunar opener, I try to push Solar prior to CA. I'm not sure how many people do it, but having 4 Starfalls is pretty amazing.

Moonfire and Sunfire have the same damage ratios. Hurricane does more than Astral storm in terms of damage. If you aren't using hurricane then no, it has zero impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominian View Post
    Moonfire and Sunfire have the same damage ratios. Hurricane does more than Astral storm in terms of damage. If you aren't using hurricane then no, it has zero impact.
    Wrong.

Hurricane is ~20% stronger than Astral Storm to offset the impact on Lunar AOE due to Starfall.