Thread: Steam problems?

Deleted

Steam problems?

Heya!

So today I saw that I was in offline mode on Steam... so I logged in, it had to download an update it seems, then it asked me for that code it asks when installing on new computers. I thought that's weird, but then I thought it's because of the update, so I introduced it and then behold... all my games show as not being installed at all! Despite having Torchlight 2, Deus Ex and a bunch of others installed right now on the computer, they show as install... so I clicked one out of curiosity... and now Steam is re-downloading something for it? It says "updating" but what is it updating, there's no new content for that game, unless I don't know, some new content for Deus Ex: HR appeared recently which I doubt it... so what's the catch?

Anyone know what's the deal here?

Seems rather suspect,. I'd have done a virus scan first - who knows what hackers might try to do when they want your steam account.

Good thing I don't save my payment info.

Deleted
    Had the same thing a while ago, but I don't actually remember what I did with it, sorry. :s

Deleted
    Funny thing, after searching a bunch of internet sites it seems it's a problem that affects random users each time there's an update. Steam "forgets" you have games installed, so you need to press install after which it checks that it has all the files... this can take minutes (normal) or hours (this is the random part). For me it took hours... or maybe Steam was upset that I also installed Origin yesterday lol.

Have you tried to restart Steam? I had a similar problem a few months ago where every time I started Steam for the first time after booting, it would show random games as not installed. Simply using the Restart Steam option fixed it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Had the same thing a while ago, but I don't actually remember what I did with it, sorry. :s
    You probably pressed install for a game, waited for Steam to check all the files for said game, then looked at your library and said "fuck, I'm not reinstalling all these games again". Then you went to bed, restarted Steam the next day and all the games were there like it had been a bad dream... because that's what basically happened for me.