Poll: What Throne of Thunder needed to be Great

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I don't know if it needed to be quite so... verticle... as Karazhan, but yes, something akin to Karazhan's direction is something I'd say they need to follow for all future raids of the "raid the castle" type. They were going with an extreme version of Ulduar with ToT... a big entrance, and then when you finally get inside, you're just kind of moving through placeless hallways. Ulduar did it a little better because it was non-linear.
    Kharazan was fairly linear, too. I mean, it had a couple of different alternative paths, which was very nice, but it's not like it was completely random.

It just goes to show how simply giving a raid the option to go one of two ways at the start and skip a couple of bosses makes a raid feel much less linear.

Stood in the Fire TheReptorGekko's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    more gastropods a lot more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Kharazan was fairly linear, too. I mean, it had a couple of different alternative paths, which was very nice, but it's not like it was completely random.

It just goes to show how simply giving a raid the option to go one of two ways at the start and skip a couple of bosses makes a raid feel much less linear.
    That, and Karazhan had a fairly well designed sense of its rooms connecting with one another, even if they were in an otherwise "linear" path.

Throne of Thunder is just corridor, boss room, corridor, boss room, corridor, boss room... then you get to the caverns, in which you get a little bit of breathing room... but then it goes back to corridor, boss room, corridor, boss room until you reach the end.

And Blizzard tried, at almost EVERY single available area, to do the whole "facade to make it look bigger" thing... the "gated off" sewer pipes, the collapsed stairways, the locked giant doors everywhere... we're only ever going to have a raid in this place ONCE... why not, instead of "tricking" us into thinking this place is bigger, just collapse the areas to be physically CLOSER to one another so that they could actually feasibly connect in some way?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    BONEEEEEEEEEESTOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM

Like a Boned 2.0 achievment:P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    That, and Karazhan had a fairly well designed sense of its rooms connecting with one another, even if they were in an otherwise "linear" path.

Throne of Thunder is just corridor, boss room, corridor, boss room, corridor, boss room... then you get to the caverns, in which you get a little bit of breathing room... but then it goes back to corridor, boss room, corridor, boss room until you reach the end.

And Blizzard tried, at almost EVERY single available area, to do the whole "facade to make it look bigger" thing... the "gated off" sewer pipes, the collapsed stairways, the locked giant doors everywhere... we're only ever going to have a raid in this place ONCE... why not, instead of "tricking" us into thinking this place is bigger, just collapse the areas to be physically CLOSER to one another so that they could actually feasibly connect in some way?
    My point exactly.

Durumu also needs a Safety Dance 2.0 achievement.

i wonder, does it feel like t15 end game was easier than t14? alot of guilds i see that were like 10-12/16H in t14 when ToT came out, are 13/13H in t15. although the ones im talking about werent top 100 US guilds anyways, the fact that they were able to finish the tier before the next raid seems odd to me.

Deleted
    how about a throne made of thunder, or even just a throne.

More Trolls, just 3 Boss Encounters don't suffice to meet the Expansion requirement of at least one Troll Instance.

Serious note: Less Sewer Enviroment, it is supposed to be a freaking secret fortress for Lei Shen yet has a bigger sewer system than Undercity.

All three bosses of halls of flesh shaping should've been interchangeable in order of progression, so as to offer more choice and make it less linear, these bosses make the most sense for it.
    I still think it's one of the best raids ever made

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dumuru's Head mount would make me become a HC raider again.

Deleted
    Illidan riding Onyxia with zombie dragon adds that randomly mind control half of raid.

Cinematics that can be skipped

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    i wonder, does it feel like t15 end game was easier than t14? alot of guilds i see that were like 10-12/16H in t14 when ToT came out, are 13/13H in t15. although the ones im talking about werent top 100 US guilds anyways, the fact that they were able to finish the tier before the next raid seems odd to me.
    Because vehicle bosses like Ambershaper were too hard for us.
    Interrupts > Spread/Stacking

EDIT: Or we got better as time went on.

For being completely linear it was a lot of fun. I would have liked to see some more of Lei Shen's palace like other posters have said (dining room, stable, etc.). There were some really cool new mechanics and bosses - Dark Animus micro-managing, Durumu's maze, Primordius' voice "the PAin reTURNs!", Tortos' shells. The varied weekly quests were pretty cool.

There were some not-so-great parts as well - the wall we hit on Horridon meant raid was essentially over 15 minutes in to the week for about 8 weeks.

Elevator boss, and the deaths need to show up on the armory too.

About 1/4 of the bosses discarded. And less trolls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    More Trolls, just 3 Boss Encounters don't suffice to meet the Expansion requirement of at least one Troll Instance.

Serious note: Less Sewer Enviroment, it is supposed to be a freaking secret fortress for Lei Shen yet has a bigger sewer system than Undercity.
    Well, he IS the Thunder King, one can assume that he drops some hefty lawn sausages.

I think its pretty bad ass as is no reason to change it

Deleted
    I think it is awesome just this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Throne, despite it's clear lack of zombies, elevators, and bonestorms.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    A literal elevator boss, raid members forced to constantly successfully use elevators as part of the encounters mechanics.
    Oy, that would be hilarious.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickyz View Post
    It needed Blackjack and Hookers!
    Forget the instance! And the Blackjack! You know what... forget the whole damn thing....

Zombie Dragons!
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature