Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Patch 5.4 PTR - Build 17325, Resto Shaman and Windwalker Concerns, Blue Tweets

Patch 5.4 PTR - Build 17325
    Build 17325 will be deployed to the PTR realms soon.

Spell Changes
    Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    Death Knight (Forums, Talent Calculator)
    Blood
    • Soul Reaper now does 130% weapon damage, up from 100%. Damage and AP scaling increased by 20%.

Frost
    • Soul Reaper now does 130% weapon damage, up from 100%. Damage and AP scaling increased by 20%.

Unholy

Paladin (Forums, Talent Calculator)
    • Light of the Ancient Kings now heals the target of your heals for 30% of the amount healed, rather than the target of your heals and allies within 10 yards of the target.

Holy
    • Guardian of Ancient Kings no longer heals nearby friendly targets. Now heals for an additional 30% of the amount healed, up from 10%.

Shaman (Forums, Talent Calculator)

Elemental & Restoration
    • Lava Burst base damage increased by 11%. SP scaling no longer listed.

Enhancement
    • Fire Nova damage and SP scaling increased by 82%.
    • Lava Lash now does 300% weapon damage, up from 260%.

Raid & Dungeon Abilities
    • Blade of the Hundred Steps Imbues all players of the tank role in the current quadrant of this warehouse with a boon. Attacks have a chance to call down a bolt of lightning, inflicting 354,000 413,000 Nature damage to enemies within 4 yards and stun them for 2 1.5 sec. This effect bypasses a creature's immunity to stuns and has a 15-second cooldown. Unlimited range. Instant.
    • Caustic Blood Injects the victim with poison, inflicting 0 Nature damage every second. This effect stacks up to 10 times. This effect fails to apply to tanks using their Active Mitigation abilities. Unlimited range. 3 sec cast. 10 yd range. 3 sec cast.
    • Corrosive Blood Inflicts 0 Nature damage initially, and then 0 Nature damage every 2 seconds. Limited to 1 target 2 targets. 300 yd range. 3 sec cast.
    • Embodied Doubt Inflicts 150,000 Shadow damage to all enemies within the realm of Y'Shaarj. Increases damage taken by Embodied Doubt by 2% 25%. Stacks. 1,000 yd range. 2 sec cast.
    • Falling Ash Summons a core of smouldering ash that will fall over 30 15 sec. Deals 999,999 Fire damage to enemies within 17 yards and 0 Fire damage to all enemies on impact. 3 sec cast.
    • Foul Stream Deals 200,000 Deals 300,000 Nature damage to all enemies on a line. 50 yd range. 3 sec cast.
    • Poison Bolt Inflicts 100,000 Inflicts 200,000 Nature damage. Limited to 1 target. 40 yd range. 2.5 sec cast.
    • Serrated Slash The sawblade slashes nearby targets, inflicting 50 250,000 Physical damage and knocking them back. Instant.
    • Serrated Slash The sawblade slashes nearby targets, inflicting 50 250,000 Physical damage and knocking them back. 300 yd range. Instant.
    • Shock Pulse A mighty seismic eruption knocks enemies back and inflicts 75,000 Nature damage. 4 sec cast.12 sec cooldown.
    • Sundering Blow Inflicts 0 Physical damage and sunders the target's armor, reducing armor by 10% for 60 30 sec. Generates 5 rage per stack of Sundering Blow on the target. Next melee. Melee range. 3 sec cast.
    • Toxic Storm Summons a powerful toxic storm that deals 200,000 300,000 Nature damage to enemies within 9 yards every 2 sec. and periodically creates Toxic Tornadoes. Instant.
    • Toxic Tornado Toxic winds deal 200,000 300,000 Nature damage to enemies within 5 yards every 1 sec. and knocks them up. Instant.

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Battlefield: Barrens and Path of the Last Emperor
    What about the quest leading up to the Battlefield barrens that offer the 502 boots?
    Hi there. The quest, 'Path of the Last Emperor' will not be going away when patch 5.4 goes live. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Shaman (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Patch 5.4 Resto Shaman Concerns
    So first off, yes, these changes are indeed being made as measures to help with the input lag problem. We obviously recognize that they're pretty big changes and we're going to have to do some additional tuning as a result (and that goes for everyone effected, not just Shaman).

Looking at some of the Shaman-specific concerns we've seen come up:

Earthliving Weapon: We recognize that the changes mean less opportunity for Earthliving to proc, but we're not sure it's overall a big deal. Given Earthliving's duration and the fact that the new, "smart" Healing Rain will still be hitting several targets (just not all at once), we still expect that most people standing in a Healing Rain will still wind up with Earthliving active. If there is a negative impact, we don't expect it to be a big one. It is something we'll keep an eye on, though.

Ancestral Vigor: This we consider to be a good deal more important, as keeping Vigor active on as many targets as possible is one of Resto's strengths (and feels good as part of their overall kit). Due to the ramp-up time, we feel that having Vigor fall off is a much bigger setback than Earthliving. We haven't made a final call on exactly what we'll do here yet; one idea we've discussed is extending Ancestral Vigor's duration, but that could easily change as we continue tuning.

Ancestral Guidance/Ascendance: We're not sure there's actually a problem here. Currently, past 6 targets, Healing Rain's actual healing output is reduced per player it affects. The end result is that roughly the same amount of raw healing is going out if it only hits 6 players as it would if it were hitting 25. In fact, in many cases, it could actually be more. If even one of those 25 players were already at full (say they've got a bunch of absorbs on them, or used something like Divine Shield or Dark Bargain), that amount that previously would have just been overhealing will instead be allocated to someone else that actually needs it.

Again, we recognize that these changes are going to require some extra tuning, so we'll be keeping a close eye on how things shake out in continued testing. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Monk (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Patch 5.4 Windwalker Feedback
    We’re definitely getting very, very different results from you guys in our own testing. For clarity, I’m not just talking about simulations – we’re getting much higher performance, in tier 16 gear, in actual playtesting on the 5.4 PTR client. We’ve even gone so far as to make duplicates of several of your characters just to be certain we’re testing under the same exact conditions.

This leads us to believe one of two things:

• There’s some sort of bug we haven’t caught yet that’s causing a massive DPS increase somewhere unexpected (which is possible, and we’re investigating, but haven’t found anything to suggest that’s the case), or
    • We’re doing something that the community isn’t, which could possibly be due to inaccurate simulations (which in turn lead to incomplete testing of alternative builds or rotations)
    One trend in particular that we’ve noticed is that PTR Windwalkers are placing far more emphasis on Haste than we are. There’s a few minor rotational and talent differences as well when we compare our parses to yours (most of which come from the lower haste), but the biggest difference by far seems to be in how we’re prioritizing secondary stats.

Again, these are results we’re able to replicate in the same test environment you guys have, using the same gear, with the same buffs/debuffs and so forth.

We're not comparing 5.4 Windwalker to 5.3 Windwalker, we're comparing 5.4 Windwalker to 5.4 everyone else. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Misc
    The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on. (Source)
    But it's not the players' job to make a good game. It's the devs' job. So not sure you can blame even HC players. (Source)

The screenshot with four class specs and a tinker class is fake. We can't confirm/deny every rumor but this one is just a clever fake. (Source)
    Thanks for clarifying that. Is the Tinker a class that you feel would fit into WoW? I'd love to see it.
    Not sure. Might be a little too whimsical for WoW. Would depend on the treatment. (Source)

any comments on the controversy behind alleged trademarking of The Dark Below?
    Players seem very confident in their ability to CONFIRMED! these days. (Half Life 3 - CONFIRMED!) (Source)

Please, Greg... tell me we'll get to see the real scope of Azjol-Nerub someday.... soon™?
    I am personally a huge Azjol-Nerub nerd, but I can't ram through my pet projects single handedly. Maybe someday. (Source)

Dear WoW community, the pitchfork and torches strategy has never been an effective one for fomenting class change. (Source)
    I've been doing this long enough (15 years!) to know that players love the revolution narrative: (Source)
    The downtrodden unite into a resistance movement that rises up against The Man and gets much needed change for their neglected characters. (Source)
    It's a charming story and probably reassuring when the developers in truth have almost all the decision making power. (Source)
    how about unsubbing? Is that effective?
    Out of protest? I don't think so. Too hard for that message to get through. (Source)

I know you like good args., but it's hard to know what counts. You do ignore some good args. for reasons you can't say in pub.
    Sure. And sometimes we agree with an argument and still won't make a change for other reasons. (Source)
    We aren't going to answer "What can I do to make an argument so good that you will 100% make a change?" (Source)
    And also part of what you're seeing is just the impossibility for us to publicly address every argument or even every popular one. (Source)

Any chance you'll ever release a copy of your internal sim (if you have it) to give us a tool to bypass those problems?
    No. Everyone would invest too much energy trying to prove our tool wrong. It's how these things go. (Source)

Took a look at your twitter for the first time ever. I do not envy you. People are rough. Curious, do you raid on a raid team?
    Yes. I'm on a heroic 25 team. I have been raiding just about since I dinged 60. (Source)
    Do your guildies know who you are? How do you respond to their criticism?
    Many know. I let them bitch away. It's not fair not to be able to just because I joined them. (Source)
    I would bet he plays a lock.Fire mages nerfed 60% afflic/destro buffed. #numbersshowlockswerealreadyahead
    .Do you guys realize I would actually get fired if I just kept buffing my characters all the time? (Source)
    I think creators should not play thier own game , and yes we do believe you favor buffs of the toons you play .I
    I think I'd be pretty out of touch if I didn't play my own game. How would I know what to fix? Who yells the loudest? (Source)

I hear you're on a 25H team. Roughly how much of your day/week is WoW related? work wise and personal play time.
    I play WoW entirely too much when I'm not working, but I feel like I need to in order to stay in touch. (Source)

Ola, Mr. Street. just a thought; do you JUST work on WoW? if so, anything else at Blizzard you'd like a crack at?
    I spend 90% of my time on WoW. I help out on other games, usually feedback or brainstorming, when those teams ask. (Source)
    I worked on RTS games for years so I have a soft spot for SC and I have always been a Diablo fan. (Source)
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-08-22 at 10:36 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Huh nothing special what a boring build :P

Soul reaper buff is neat, don't know if it was necessary, but it's neat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wish they would go into a little more detail about what's going on with windwalker.

Another build, no hunter buffs.

I feel like they're trying to make all execute spells even MORE deadly.

Dispatch buffed, Soul Reaper. Anything els?

Deleted
    30% on Healing Rain, hot damn. Those are big numbers. I suppose it was warranted, judging from the PTR tales.

10+ Year Old Account
    eurgh, why is swifty doing an interview? could they find someone less annoying?

I can't help but wonder why both MMOchampion and WoWhead have missed that there was another build before this one and after the last reported one. 17321 came out a day or two after the last one. There were no posts about it, or what it featured, it just seemed to go ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently hunters are in a good spot right? oh wait no. Can we see some buffs?

Quote Originally Posted by VerasGunn View Post
    I can't help but wonder why both MMOchampion and WoWhead have missed that there was another build before this one and after the last reported one. 17321 came out a day or two after the last one. There were no posts about it, or what it featured, it just seemed to go ignored.
    Because it was just a client update, no changes.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Fair enough.

I don't buy for a second that he plays. For one thing I'm pretty sure one of his guildies would have gone to the forums by now to tell everyone. I know I would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    I don't buy for a second that he plays. For one thing I'm pretty sure one of his guildies would have gone to the forums by now to tell everyone. I know I would.
    probably with other blizzard employees, or his the people he plays with don't know.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by GC's Tweets
    Thanks for clarifying that. Is the Tinker a class that you feel would fit into WoW? I'd love to see it.
    Not sure. Might be a little too whimsical for WoW. Would depend on the treatment.
    Oh great, now the demon hunter crowd will be crawling out of its holes again.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    probably with other blizzard employees, or his the people he plays with don't know.
    The way he phrased it, not likely. He said he lets them bitch, why would a dev bitch at him? He also said it would be unfair to not let them considering he joined them. If he joined a dev only guild it wouldn't matter. He'd also just say that. Until he releases his armory I'm not buying it. He spends all day at work I think the last thing he wants to do when he comes home is play. He probably spends time with his family and his sea oriented hobbies. Plus he doesn't just work a 9-5 job, he's constantly doing interviews and traveling. I don't know many guilds that would put up with someone that busy.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Did this build also happen to add the "smart heals" on the aoe that was causing most of the ability lag? Or was that another build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    Until he releases his armory I'm not buying it. He spends all day at work I think the last thing he wants to do when he comes home is play. He probably spends time with his family and his sea oriented hobbies. Plus he doesn't just work a 9-5 job, he's constantly doing interviews and traveling. I don't know many guilds that would put up with someone that busy.
    Couple of things: It's probably people he's friends with and the ones that know don't say anything at all to the ones that don't know on pain of banishment forever. And if it was my guild, Greg Street would be welcome to come and go as he pleased. Bad form to outright call him a liar by the way. It tends to make you look small.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Oh great, now the demon hunter crowd will be crawling out of its holes again.
    Perhaps, but he also tweeted about Demon Hunters, months ago:

You've said WoW cannot support an infinite number of classes.With DK and now Monks added will we ever see a Demon Hunter class
    Is there enough design space there not occupied by DK, warlock, hunter, warrior?
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...11292543741952
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Couple of things: It's probably people he's friends with and the ones that know don't say anything at all to the ones that don't know on pain of banishment forever. And if it was my guild, Greg Street would be welcome to come and go as he pleased. Bad form to outright call him a liar by the way. It tends to make you look small.
    Do you think I care if you think I'm small? Calling someone who lies a liar doesn't make me small. I don't believe him, deal with it. It's PR, if he actually played he would know more about the game and wouldn't make ignorant statements all the time like not knowing what classes have blanket silences. The fact that he said he's in a heroic 25m is a joke. There is no way someone as busy as him has the time to progress heroics. If you want to believe everything that is spoon fed to you then gratz on being "big".

Now queue the I work 90 hours a week and I'm 13/13 posts.