Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Just an Idea I had for new Enhance AoE

Listen, I can't be the only one who has problems with Fire Nova. Don't get me wrong, when we have a large group of sustainable enemies it can ramp up but on enemies that die in a hit or two, our AoE just dies.

I just say get rid of it for a new spell.

Earthen Fissure -
    2 second consecrate that stay centered on your character (so you can cast and still move), 3 second cooldown
    Hits all enemies in the area, dmg equal one fire nova (not like a stacked spread), but in terms of animation think of it like a rain of fire, that comes up from the ground, but with tiny lil baby earthquake crack fissures instead of meteors.

I completely understand that we'd lose dps, but it would give us a much more accessible aoe rotation that wouldn't be crippled but weaker mobs.

anyway lemme know what you think

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowJester View Post
    Listen, I can't be the only one who has problems with Fire Nova. Don't get me wrong, when we have a large group of sustainable enemies it can ramp up but on enemies that die in a hit or two, our AoE just dies.

I just say get rid of it for a new spell.

Earthen Fissure -
    2 second consecrate that stay centered on your character (so you can cast and still move), 3 second cooldown
    Hits all enemies in the area, dmg equal one fire nova (not like a stacked spread), but in terms of animation think of it like a rain of fire, that comes up from the ground, but with tiny lil baby earthquake crack fissures instead of meteors.

I completely understand that we'd lose dps, but it would give us a much more accessible aoe rotation that wouldn't be crippled but weaker mobs.

anyway lemme know what you think
    Explain how trading being able to actually aoe in sustained situations for doing small passable aoe on demand is a good trade off? All that means is 5 seconds after that went live, people will complain that our sustained aoe is awful.

on enemies that die in a hit or two, our AoE just dies.
    You want to redesign the AoE of Ench. Shaman because you can't two shot mobs in heroic dungeon? or critters?

This would help with the button bloat...

There were much better ideas, like magma totem acting as having a flame shock.

How about
    -increase FN's damage to 4-5 times, to mirror a situation of spread flame shocks and multiple novas
    -maybe add a 4sec dot to it, to make up for FS's dot
    -change FN to radiate from the shaman, not from FS
    -maybe increase range a little
    -FN does not deal any damage to the shamans' current target (to avoid it become a single target filler)

-and get rid of LL spreading FS

Blizzard for some reason goes the complicated way whenever shaman is concerned. Others push one button and do fine. We have to push 2-3, have to consider various situations and will sometimes fail anyway, all because a round-a-bout way of bringing utility, aoeing, stunning, ccing and whatever else.
    Go the simple way blizz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Earthen Fissure -
    So instead of having something unique you want a hellfire?

Deleted
    Huh 2 or 3 buttons ... little bit more everytime you want to use nova :

-Unleash > Flame shock > Lavalash ( for spread ) > Unleash > and and and FIRE NOVA but all mobs are nearly 50% of their life maybe less ! but which shaman care about AoE
    Not me for sure !

How about Magma totem puts flame shocks on targets it hits?
    Magma > Fire Nova
    Tho this could be OP as u would just drop magma and never need to cast FS, so perhaps a better variantion of this? Magma puts a zero-ticking zero-damage Flame Shock on targets it hits? (doesnt overwrite damaging Flame Shocks)

What about the coolest ability any elemental/dark shaman ever used in WoW - Rupture Line? Thats a cool thing, right? Let's make it Enh Shamans AoE and you've got yourself a hell of a class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather see rupture line as the snap aggro AoE ability if shammies ever get a tanking spec
    Different discussion, I know, I know

- Remove Fire Nova.
    - New passive, called Fire Nova: Every 3 pulses of your Magma Totem is a big one, dealing double/triple (or whatever appropiate number) damage, with Fire Nova animation.
    - Earthquake baseline for Enhancement. Affected by Maelstrom Weapon. No cooldown.

Need to AoE? Drop Magma and cast EQ.

Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    What about the coolest ability any elemental/dark shaman ever used in WoW - Rupture Line? Thats a cool thing, right? Let's make it Enh Shamans AoE and you've got yourself a hell of a class.
    Rupture Line would be pretty cool tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Xevarc View Post
    Rupture Line would be pretty cool tbh
    rupture line for ENH and lightning whip for ele and i'd be happy forever
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

I just suggest it cause right now, I am stuck on Celestial Blessings with the Xuen trial and Wrathion's Inferno Ability. The clones die too fast for me to spread flame shock or get a nova off, and are too spread out for a fire nova totem. In this instance and others like it, having a ramp up AoE is terrible to the point of not having one. Other classes have Arcane Explosion or SCK to deal instant aoe dmg, and hitting the mob. So Yes, I think having constant instant dmg at a set level of what, over having a ramp up ability.

But I suppose you could just change Fire Nova, to just explode off us if there are no flame shocks up. Or just add earth rupture in, or an overload skill that would be an electric AE, I dont really care, its just the fact that Enh has the most crazy to get right AoE is obnoxious and incredibly crippling in some situations

Disclaimer: These are just some ideas I came up with for helping Enhancement. The main thing to look at is, to do that I mixed and matched some abilities, now of course that led me to moving some things around - such as Lava Lash getting the Divine Storm treatment - and some other things. I've optimized these abilities to fit within the middle of the damage pack without being too strong or too weak.

• Stormstrike cooldown increased from 6 sec to 8 sec. Generates 2 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon.
    • Primal Strike has been redesigned.
    - Strike quickly with your off-hand weapon dealing 300% weapon damage. While the target is at or below 35% health, Primal Strike deals an additional 15% damage and generates an additional stack of Maelstrom Weapon. Generates 1 stack of Maelstrom Weapon. 6 second cooldown.

• Lava Lash has been redesigned.
    - An area effect attack that deals 100% weapon damage as Fire damage and inflicts Caustic Flames on all targets within 8 yards.

Caustic Flames deals an additional 743 to 819 [+150% of SP] Fire damage over 15 seconds and gives targets a 15% chance to emit a Fire Nova to every other enemy within 10 yards when damaged by the shamans Fire Nova spell. Enemies hit by this Fire Nova do not trigger this effect.

• Fire Nova has been redesigned.
    - A wave of flame emits from the shaman dealing 826 to 923 [+21.6% of SP] Fire damage to all enemies within 10 yards.

• Searing Totem now causes your Flame Shock damage effect to instantly deal 50% of its normal periodic damage when attacking a Flame Shocked target.
    • Maelstrom Weapon can now store up to a maximum of 10 stacks but only 5 are usable at a time.

Stormstrike replaces Lava Lash as the 8 second cooldown.
    Primal Strike replaces Stormstrike as the 6 second cooldown but instead of a cleave, Primal Strike has an execute.
    Lava Lash was reiterated into an area of effect ability like Divine Storm, but with a damage over time component called Caustic Flames which deals (roughly) equivalent damage to a Searing Totems fireball per tick. Caustic Flames, much like Fire Nova igniting Flame Shock, has a chance to ignite and release a Fire Nova from an effected enemy. This effect only has a small chance to occur due to the damage ramping up quite quickly with large groups of enemies.
    Maelstrom Weapons' stacks were increased so that we have the ability to pool them. Stormstrike and Primal Strike generate Maelstrom Weapon stacks to increase the speed of the accumulation period.

Some good things there, BB.

Kinda confused though, isn't SS 8 secs, and LL 10 secs atm?
    And not sure what to think of the Searing Totem thingy.

Something I thought of: MSW is kinda weak in that it doesn't provide much damage over all. The ability to use lb, which was in ele use for years until we got msw, is not all that rewarding imo, and lb doesn't deal much dmg for enh either. THe concept of making a cast faster until instant is also dumb. Stacking makes sense damage(effect)/duration-wise, but not in reducing cast time. Hard casting doesn't fit enh, so msw is only really fit with full stacks. But even then, it is low prio.
    Maybe give us an ability/mechanic that runs on msw, and provides us either with a huge dircet damage source, or a strong buff we'd want to keep up. Hex could be made instant for us baseline and for selfhealing, we could get somerhing like ret (our shocks/spell crits or w/e having a chance of making the next heal instant).
    Last edited by Omanley; 2013-08-25 at 09:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Omanley View Post
    Some good things there, BB.

Kinda confused though, isn't SS 8 secs, and LL 10 secs atm?
    And not sure what to think of the Searing Totem thingy.

Something I thought of: MSW is kinda weak in that it doesn't provide much damage over all. The ability to use lb, which was in ele use for years until we got msw, is not all that rewarding imo, and lb doesn't deal much dmg for enh either. THe concept of making a cast faster until instant is also dumb. Stacking makes sense damage(effect)/duration-wise, but not in reducing cast time. Hard casting doesn't fit enh, so msw is only really fit with full stacks. But even then, it is low prio.
    Maybe give us an ability/mechanic that runs on msw, and provides us either with a huge dircet damage source, or a strong buff we'd want to keep up. Hex could be made instant for us baseline and for selfhealing, we could get somerhing like ret (our shocks/spell crits or w/e having a chance of making the next heal instant).
    Yeah, SS is 8 secs, and LL is 10 secs my bad.

Searing Totem change is pretty much a Malefic Grasp concept. Since Lava Lash wouldn't spread Flame Shock, and Searing Totem wouldn't stack Searing Flames, I gave them both an extra damage use by making Searing Totem proc periodic damage from Flame Shock whenever it dealt damage to a target affected by it.

As a damage component, MSW is very lacking. I was thinking more towards a utility role but we can't forgot Elemental Blast either, I still don't understand why we can't use Lava Burst.

Very interesting ideas though, keep them coming.

Deleted
    Enhancement just needs their own AoE on demand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omanley View Post
    Not sure I'd want to deal with another Inquisition-type effect. And given how fast we'd be generating MSW effects using SS and PS in that suggested form (unless the auto-attack source is removed) I don't think it'd be particularly interesting, or fun for that matter.

When I first levelled my Shaman and got my hands on MSW? I thought it was awesome. It felt awesome. And to a certain degree I still do. I cannot agree with the sentiment that it is not rewarding, because the mechanic as a whole feels fun, damage be damned.

On the topic of Enhancement AoE:
    Will probably sound like a blizzard dev when I say this, but I think it's fine. We're different from everyone else, and we have our own way of dealing AoE damage. From a player's perspective you call it clunky because it takes time to setup, while from a game designer's perspective (in a world where most of our time during encounters is spent executing unique spec-specific rotations) putting those hoops and loops in there is what makes the mechanic interesting to them.
    BB's suggested AoE changes, while they certainly sound interesting on paper, are only that. The abilities do a lot on their own with tons of special rules, but there is little player interaction, as it boils down to pushing them on CD whenever we need AoE.
    Blizzard would rather we think about how and when we push buttons to deal damage, even if it means the slight inconvenience of having to delay an ability for a few seconds to make it all line up. You see the same thing in some other specs too, like how Fire Mages have to time their combustion with good Ignite procs to deal good cleave damage.

But then again, maybe that'd be better for the game as a whole if we have to think less about our own rotations, and more about the encounters. Playing melee is already dreadfully boring as it is, given that many encounter mechanics focus on ranged and healers these days, ignoring melee.