Page 1 of 2
LastLast

*remove posts*

*remove post*
    Last edited by Randoman01; 2014-07-15 at 06:47 PM.

Movies have been around for decades longer than video games. That's why.

Give it another 30 years and no one will be talking shit about video games anymore.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I consider myself a pretty avid movie watcher, and yet the amount of time I spend watching movies each week is considerably less than the amount of time I used to spend playing video games each week. I'm pretty sure that the average movie watcher spends less time watching movies than the average gamer spends playing video games. I can assure you, someone who spends upwards of 10 hours a week watching movies would be called out on their unproductive use of time. As for people like Siskel and Ebert, you seem to forget that their job wasn't just to watch movies but to review them.

Deleted
    Film starts.
    Film runs about 80 minutes.
    Film ends.

Monday raid starts.
    Monday raid takes 4 hours.
    Monday raid ends with no loot.

Tuesday raid starts.
    Tuesday raid takes 4 hours.
    Tuesday raid ends with no loot.

Wednesday raid starts...

You see?

The main reason is just age of the industry. Many of the 'older' people you talk to only vaguely know what gaming and haven't a clue what it is like in the modern gaming era. The older gen people don't know how that games have evolved to such a point that they can be every bit as immersive and uplifting as any movie.

As someone mentioned above. Give it another 30 years and I suspect you will find people talking about gaming like they do with movies.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do u compare apples and oranges ? U dont watch a movie for 8 hours straight and more often than not, u dont do it alone. Im not saying video games are bad, but i still understand the viewpoints of the ppl who do think they are, and i just think your being ignorant, posting threads like this, trying to rationalize it.

And just because WoW is an MMO doesnt make it a social experience, and video games not being a social thing is a major reason a lot of ppl oppose or are against it. Im sure if u went and played your playstation with a couple of friends for 2 hours every now and then, it wouldnt be frowned upon at all, but im also sure, that if you we're to watch movies in your room all day long everyday, it would be frowned upon as well.

And that is the difference, so dont go about pretending like there is no difference, because its huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

10+ Year Old Account
    Movies take less time and are also often considered social experiences, whereas video games have a stigma attached to them that removes its consideration as a social experience because those experiences are not concluded in person.

You know, I wish the comparisons would just cease altogether. The comparisons with film, wether that be how much of a waste of time it is, or its worth as a form of culture, is fueling this needless inferiority complex which I think has manifested itself stronger than ever this past generation.

Movies cover genres for all ages, races and types of people. There are hundreds of films that an elderly woman could enjoy, but maybe a couple of games at most.
    Movies are often open to interpretation. Games (outside of more recent indie titles) tend to be one track and very target orientated.
    Movies can be enjoyed by almost anyone. If you don't enjoy one movie, you don't decide the genre isn't for you; there's so much choice you can simply try over and over again to find something that suits your tastes.
    Movies do not require controllers or interaction past pressing 'Play', or pressing 'Sit down and shut up'. One of the major downfall of all games as to universal acceptance is still the existence of controllers, key layouts and remembering button combinations or commands.
    Movies were quite weird and unpopular until they were made mainstream. Despite being quite mainstream, games are often still regarded as a secondary past-time.
    Most movies have universal media player compatibility that requires little more than a cheap DVD player (these days). Unless you want to play old games, you'll be paying a lot to see any of the newer ones. ("a lot" may or may not be subjective, depending on who you are.)

Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    Film starts.
    Film ends.

Monday raid starts.

Tuesday raid starts.

Wednesday raid starts...

You see?

The oxygen wasted while you breathed to type this post. We can never get that back.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Anything other than eating, breathing and sleeping, and those actions required to facilitate them, i.e. working, could be considered a waste of time. A hobby is a hobby, it's a waste of time, if you enjoy it though who cares what others think?

Deleted
    It's probably because movies have been around for longer, while video games are a more recent phenomonon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Movies take less time and are also often considered social experiences, whereas video games have a stigma attached to them that removes its consideration as a social experience because those experiences are not concluded in person.
    There are some games that work very socialy.
    Watching movie with a friend = Playing counter-strike with a friend
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    When our generation gets older, I don't think video games will be demonized nearly as much.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    When our generation gets older, I don't think video games will be demonized nearly as much.
    Not until something new comes to take its place at least.

Maybe robo-girlfriends...
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Film starts.
    Film ends.

Monday raid starts.

Tuesday raid starts.

Wednesday raid starts...

You see?
    True, but remenber that many people watch a lot of movies, also remenber that MMOs are not like many other games, they consume more times than others, but in the last years the games have been more open, so you can play it for more and more time without getting bored, but still is not like MMOs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Maybe, but remenber that most of our generation stop playing games when they become older, so it won't change that much, maybe they won't see it as a waste of time, but they will see it as something young people do, and by the time they become adults they will have to leave it, also there's still many people who don't play videogames (yes, young people of our generation) so, maybe not in our generation but it may happen for the generation after us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOAte_M7yw

This pretty much sums it up. You can't be bad at watching a film, or book. You can be bad at a game and then fail to finish the game.

Not surprised, with the kind of community at large that video games attract - douchebags, aholes etc - video games will continued to be looked down upon

Film starts.
    Film ends.

Monday raid starts.

Tuesday raid starts.

Wednesday raid starts...

You see?
    Loot whore. Do you not have fun with friends when raiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Movies have been around for decades longer than video games. That's why.

Give it another 30 years and no one will be talking shit about video games anymore.
    RPG's will very likely continue to have that stigma though.

It mostly has to do with the time investment necessary to get out of the game/movie what it has to offer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    There are some games that work very socialy.
    Watching movie with a friend = Playing counter-strike with a friend
    I would say playing counter-strikeis actually far FAR more social than watching a movie mostly because you'll be talking/discussing a lot more in a game than a movie for the most part. So it isn't quite sociability that's the issue with games.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15