Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Okay i need help

Guys guys guys, im new as and havnt no clue what im doing, much different to wow and any other mmo ive played, just dieing alot and cnt seem to get my head around the levelling, i have no money and all my armour is wrecked from dying to many times and cant buy anymore, coz well no money and dont know where to haha. May someone please come give me a hand to get me goin, show us the basics !?
    im a ranger lvl 6 at the moment
    on dragonbrand server

REPLY PLEASE <#

15+ Year Old Account
    well tbh u might have to re-roll and make better choices on combat,gear, etc if you still cant get it might just not be the game for u .....maybe uninstall it and try something easier for u sorry to say

well, that was a reply i wasnt expecting. ill disagree with you in full and keep playing the game

10+ Year Old Account
    So... You're level 6 and you're struggling with the game?
    Wow...
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Deleted
    well I don't really know much about GW. toke me months to get to lvl 35 but I am super bad at the game, on how to get money? loot all and sell everything you can on the auction house(lion trading something something) if you still have a hard time, then here is a Key for Mirrors edgde on Origin.

Mirror's Edge Origin Key
    CBZZ-MH5Z-GETP-JJ48-D3HX

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseG93 View Post
    well, that was a reply i wasnt expecting. ill disagree with you in full and keep playing the game
    Ignore the first response you got. You are more than likely tackling enemies that are a higher level than you. In WOW, this is easy, in GW2, they will kill you. Try and get a bear pet, they are pretty strong. Could you give us an idea of how you are playing? Are you only doing your personal story? What race are you playing? You need to try and explore your starting area and see what event start. To level in GW2, you need to try and do a lot of different things, not just the personal story or hearts (a bit like a quest hub) on the maps.

if you have come from WoW, i am not even slightly surprised. it is a MASSIVE leap from levelling in WoW to playing GW2.

dont take on too many mobs at once. in WoW you just round up 20 mobs and stand there and kill them. in GW2 you will die almost instantly if you try that. go for single targets, and get used to two things; one, moving. and two, dodging. dont stand still and fight, be on the move almost constantly. get used to when the enemies do big damage, and be ready to dodge to avoid it. your heal spell (bound to 6) will help a lot at low levels (but less and less as you level up).

dont forget to pick up all the gathering gear; for wood, herbs and ore. you can do all of them from level 1, and they give you xp and decent money if you sell what you gather. will help to get your money going.

oh, and ignore the morons that have posted here. they dont represent the GW2 community AT ALL.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    Hiya,

Just saw 10 tips posted to weekend trial players on guildwars2hub.

Here is a couple general ones from there:

Map Icons
    Despite a lot of work by ArenaNet to streamline the presentation of a lot of information, it can be confusing to understand what is actually going on. Without traditional "quests" it isn't uncommon for new players to have zero clue about where to go and what to do. The main things you'll need to know are:

1. Personal Story: These green icons indicate your personal story that is associated with the choices you made when you made your character! Go to these for a bit of story behind everything that is going on, but I recommend not going to deep into it until you know you want to play that character!

2. Waypoints: These blue icons indicate a Waypoint which is the travel system in Guild Wars 2. It will cost you money to move between Waypoints you've uncovered, but the cost is proportional to your level. You can always walk, but Waypointing is quicker.

3. Vendors: These array of icons indicate NPC's that can buy your goods or repair your armour. As a rule, never ever buy weapons or armour from such NPC's only ever use them to sell items you collect. The items they sell are overpriced and poor compared to things you can get from the Trading Post.

4. Vista: The red double-triangles are interesting in that they will take you into a movie-like panorama view of your general area or a specific point of interest. Definitely watch these because they can be some of the most gorgeous views in the game while the locations themselves tend to involve some exploration and jumping to get to.

5. Point of Interest: These small squares indicate a location on the map that ArenaNet feel is of interest. Sometimes there is further exploration to be found nearby or might simply be a monument or piece of scenary that looks interesting. Either way, they're always worth looking at.

6. Hearts: When you first visit an area, the map will be littered with these hearts. Unlike the image above though, they will be hollow. Heading to these will guarantee you an activity to undertake that once completed will award you with experience and other goodies. They tend to be the best places to head to for events and for meeting other players.

7. Skill Points: These blue arrows indicate a location where you have to test your skill against an object or NPC. Sometimes they are simple and require little more than your interaction while at other times you'll have a difficult fight on your hands. If successful, you'll be rewarded with experience and a skill point to spend on skills.

Revive
    I've lost count at the amount of new players I've helped to learn how to revive others. I assume many come from other MMOG's where once you're dead, you're dead. As highlighted in the image below, if you see anyone near you with the icon above their head, it means they're "downed" and can be revived by you and everyone else. There aren't many instant resurrection spells in Guild Wars 2, so reviving can take time (and is longer in combat) but is key to you and your parties survival. Simply approach a downed player and when next to them (1), press your interact key (2).

Dodge, Dodge, Dodge
    It's incredibly frustrating to hear those who played Guild Wars 2 briefly undermining the dodge function. I'll make no bones about it, it's absolutely critical to survival in a game where healing is so limited. Ensuring you time your dodging to perfection can genuinely be life or death in large group encounters or even in small PvE fights. Mastering dodge will allow you to take on significantly more enemies, while avoiding damage entirely. Be careful though, you can only dodge before you dodge meter (above the health globe at the bottom of the UI) is depleted. It takes a little time for it to recharge.

Have Fun, Don't Rush
    There are very few MMOG's that come along that provide you wish as much content as Guild Wars 2 does, to a level of polish other developers strive to match. I really can't recommend enough how you should take your time and resist rushing to level cap. The journey through Guild Wars 2 is incredible, with beautiful zones, pleasurable events and lots of exploration. Even after exploring all the world, there is still World versus World, Fractals of the Mists, structured PvP, crafting and the Living Story events that continue to be pumped out. It might be daunting, but you will undoubtedly catch up it's just best to make sure you've breathed it all in beforehand.

And here is a video of general tricks and tips:

Hope that helps abit
    Last edited by mmoc1319205971; 2013-08-23 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    dont forget to pick up all the gathering gear; for wood, herbs and ore. you can do all of them from level 1, and they give you xp and decent money if you sell what you gather. will help to get your money going.
    This is really important. As said above, they give XP and not a small amount either especially when you take into account the daily and you can then either sell the mats or deposit them in your bank by using the deposit all collectibles. Copper Ore does sell nicely at the moment on the Trading Post (Press 'O' to bring up the Trading Post). I think it's 20c per ore so just getting enough ore for your daily will give you about 4 silver. You can pick up your proceeds from the trading post person on the map. The icon looks like some measuring scales.

If you're a Ranger, using Longbow as main and Greatsword or Sword/Warhorn (for melee) is pretty good for leveling. If you really are cheap, just buy blue weapons off the trading post appropriate for your level that have the stat of power in them. With blue level items, you can sell them back onto the trading post (usually for the same price you got them for) so having fairly current gear for a very cheap price is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    If you're a Ranger, using Longbow as main and Greatsword or Sword/Warhorn (for melee) is pretty good for leveling. If you really are cheap, just buy blue weapons off the trading post appropriate for your level that have the stat of power in them. With blue level items, you can sell them back onto the trading post (usually for the same price you got them for) so having fairly current gear for a very cheap price is easy.
    One other thing. If your gear is damaged, you can repair it at the broken red shield on the map. You don't need to replace it.

What Server are you playing on? I can guest to your server this weekend and show you around if you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're having trouble at level 6 I'm not sure you've played any MMO... a ranger is well.. a range(r) so stay at range and kite just like you would with a hunter in WoW.

Took me an hour to get used to the combat in this game, it's not such a leap as people think if you're a gamer through and through.

Don't rush shit, look around and observe. Find a shortbow or longbow (or both), and faceroll your way to 80.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a combat 101 video that might help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNgkZDHOIs

It is very different from WoW's system, I died a lot at first too.

(I'm just kinda hanging out in Queensdale, rezzing all the new elementalists everywhere, the poor darlings <3)
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-08-23 at 05:07 PM.
    Valar morghulis

I don't understand needing to adjust to the combat. Maybe it's because I played Tera between WoW and GW2, but I did not find getting used to GW2's system difficult at all. I also don't recall having any issues with dying a lot either (except on elementalist :P).

What's interesting is I tried playing WoW again a while ago -- incidentally a game I played for 6 years -- and got my ass handed to me in the starting zones. It was actually a lot harder than I remember and I'd say harder than GW2 for sure.

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound superior or anything, it's just that I think WoW is unjustly considered too easy (I suppose it was before Cata) and I think GW2 is not as difficult as people make it sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I don't understand needing to adjust to the combat. Maybe it's because I played Tera between WoW and GW2, but I did not find getting used to GW2's system difficult at all. I also don't recall having any issues with dying a lot either (except on elementalist :P).

What's interesting is I tried playing WoW again a while ago -- incidentally a game I played for 6 years -- and got my ass handed to me in the starting zones. It was actually a lot harder than I remember and I'd say harder than GW2 for sure.

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound superior or anything, it's just that I think WoW is unjustly considered too easy (I suppose it was before Cata) and I think GW2 is not as difficult as people make it sound.
    sorry? you think WoW is harder to level in than GW2, and that WoW got harder to level in once Cata was released.

the first one is opinion, but i think you would struggle to find anyone that would agree with you. the second one is just plain wrong. Cata reduced the difficulty of all the 1-60 zones massively.

no idea if Tera is good training for GW2, but i would imagine that almost any other MMO would be better training for GW2 than WoW is.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    sorry? you think WoW is harder to level in than GW2, and that WoW got harder to level in once Cata was released.
    Did not say that at all. There is no easier game to actually level in than WoW. I'm talking about initial difficulty of the games.

the first one is opinion, but i think you would struggle to find anyone that would agree with you. the second one is just plain wrong. Cata reduced the difficulty of all the 1-60 zones massively.
    The overall difficulty of WoW was increased in Cata. It was just the old world revamp streamlined questing so that it's ridiculously easy to gain levels. The main reason it's not difficult is because it's really easy to be +4 levels above what you're doing.

Regardless, since apparently it needs clarifying, I'm specifically referring to the start of the game. There is nothing in GW2 you can't 2-shot in the beginning, even with the weakest, most useless weapons/attacks (which is basically what almost every class starts off with anyway). Try that in WoW because it certainly didn't work for me. I found myself having to play a lot more carefully and, as I said, I'm a long time (albeit rusty perhaps) veteran of the game. Not saying it's like that forever, saying brand new, fresh into the game, GW2 is easier than WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rewriting history, Lane? I remember your rage ;-)

One of the last things I did in WoW was level a pallytank. Didn't even die once until around 70 or so, in some scrubby dungeon. I hit 85, picked up a mishmash of anyolegear and tanked a LFR. I didn't even know how to play the class, I think I only used 2 skills. This was late Cata, around spring last year.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseG93 View Post
    Guys guys guys, im new as and havnt no clue what im doing, much different to wow and any other mmo ive played, just dieing alot and cnt seem to get my head around the levelling, i have no money and all my armour is wrecked from dying to many times and cant buy anymore, coz well no money and dont know where to haha. May someone please come give me a hand to get me goin, show us the basics !?
    im a ranger lvl 6 at the moment
    on dragonbrand server

REPLY PLEASE <#
    If you still want a guide, I can guest over to Dragonband and help you guys out. I just need a name to message.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    If you're having trouble at level 6 I'm not sure you've played any MMO... a ranger is well.. a range(r) so stay at range and kite just like you would with a hunter in WoW.

Took me an hour to get used to the combat in this game, it's not such a leap as people think if you're a gamer through and through.

Don't rush shit, look around and observe. Find a shortbow or longbow (or both), and faceroll your way to 80.
    If you read the first post again, it sounds like the OP is buying new gear all of the time when things get damaged. The moment you start on that slope it will get really tough because you will be doing everything with most of your gear damaged/broken.