Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Rewriting history, Lane? I remember your rage ;-)

One of the last things I did in WoW was level a pallytank. Didn't even die once until around 70 or so, in some scrubby dungeon. I hit 85, picked up a mishmash of anyolegear and tanked a LFR. I didn't even know how to play the class, I think I only used 2 skills. This was late Cata, around spring last year.
    I would rage over the use of one-shot mechanics as a method of infusing "difficulty" into encounters in any game. It just happens to be ridiculously prevalent in the gauntlet, practically as the only means of making the fights challenging. As far as I'm concerned it's lazy design.

As far as your comparison, really? I leveled my thief from 1-80 using nothing but shortbow auto-attack. The only thing I remember about my first death on her was that it was to something stupid like a misjudged jump.

"Difficulty" is really subjective though. Especially when coupled with a new player trying out an unfamiliar play system.

It's kind of impossible to draw a line in the sand one way or the other.

For example. I personally find Minecraft maddeningly difficult. I hate it.

All subjective. Very possible for the OP [or anyone else] to struggle in GW2 in comparison to WOW or whatever MMO they are more familiar with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hit pandaria on my rogue for the first time a couple days ago - took on 4 mobs in full ilvl 372 gear and blew all my defensive cooldowns but still died pretty damn fast. So, you can't just "round up 20 mobs" and succeed. Yeah maybe in elwyn forest at level 90.. idiots. In comparison the survival rate between the two games are actually the same in how many mobs you can round up and damage you take although it does depend on what class you are and what build of course.

I can easily round up 20 mobs in queensdale on my thief and cluster bomb my fucking way to glory.

It's funny because the reason I tried taking 4 mobs on is precisely because of this argument and I didn't even see it before that. In terms of level appropriate content though, WoW is definitely not easier or harder. Leveling is not supposed to be hard, end game is. I guess GW2 tried to change that but failed because the difference in me 1 shotting creatures in a 1-10 zone in WoW is about the same as me facerolling through queensdale, except for champions which still die in seconds from zergs.

Meh it depends on the class, I lvld my priest and lock really fast by dotting everything up my mage lvld fast due to frost nova => blizzard but I'm talking wrath/tbc times.

ATM there isn't a single game out there that's actually hard.

A Guardian can take on multiple mobs early on. However, a new player playing a Guardian probably cannot. There is a change in approach between games. For example, I came to WoW after playing Guild Wars, and the fact that early on in WoW you only took on one enemy at a time felt really weird. In GW, I fought many mobs at once. and this was because you're almost always grouped in that game. There was also noticeable differences in the required reaction times between the two games. And being slower in combat wasn't even a help. Even if one game played slower than the other, it still throws off the player's learned rhythm, and that's something people experience without fully processing why they experience it.
    Last edited by zed zebes; 2013-08-23 at 09:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    So... You're level 6 and you're struggling with the game?
    Wow...
    Is that really the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I hit pandaria on my rogue for the first time a couple days ago - took on 4 mobs in full ilvl 372 gear and blew all my defensive cooldowns but still died pretty damn fast. So, you can't just "round up 20 mobs" and succeed. Yeah maybe in elwyn forest at level 90.. idiots. In comparison the survival rate between the two games are actually the same in how many mobs you can round up and damage you take although it does depend on what class you are and what build of course.
    Comparing a player going from 85 to 90 with a new player going from 1-10 is a completely different ballgame. Go and start a new character on WOW and see how easy it is to level. You can take on multiple mobs that are a higher than you and survive easily. In GW2, the lower levels are tougher. Taking an 80 to Queensdale is of course like taking candy from a baby. You were used to a max level character with top level gear and then you went to a place (it just happened to be in another game) where leveling is a bit tougher than your max level. Of course you had a bit of a glass chin. Take a person in GW2 trying to level through Orr and it's not a cake walk. I would put it on a par with leveling from 85-90 in WOW. Blizzard do that on purpose, make the lower levels easy because so many people have already gone through that process. A lot of people coming to GW2 from WOW are in exactly that boat, they are used to the low levels being easy like it is in WOW.

Im finally getting my head around things ! lvl 12 now, ranger. yes now i know not to take on to many creatures at monce, i now know how he hearts work across the map and how to get them started and how to buy sell items !. doing the story now and its good !!!
    thanks for the friendly and helpful response also

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Gray ive now levelled to 12 on a ranger on that class starting with S ahha, that leaf race. (sorrry not in game at the moment)
    ive been doing hearts and personals and finally got my head around how to sell and buy new armours and weapons, its a great game one thing i am kinda bummed about is. How i can be any level and go jump in and make my level 80 and go play php. i know ya gotta get new armour with the winnings and stuff but yeah i was kinder sad how it doesnt work like any other mmo;s (Guess thats why its different!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Go and start a new character on WOW and see how easy it is to level. You can take on multiple mobs that are a higher than you and survive easily. In GW2, the lower levels are tougher.
    When's the last time you made a new character in WoW? No BoAs.

I can complete the level 10 personal story by level 5-6 and it's higher in difficulty than anything you'll find playing around Queensdale (excluding champions). The only thing I will admit can make it difficult is that it's easy to be underleveled until about level 15 (and then assuming you don't rush to a zone that's too far above you).

The hardest time I ever had in low level GW2 was essentially playing an elementalist "wrong". Full glass, fire attunement only, staff, etc. The only class that isn't mowing stuff down at low levels is mesmer because they're late bloomers.

Edit: Not to mention that in GW2 you're basically handed every skill you're ever going to use from the start. In WoW you often have to wait quite a long time before you unlock key class abilities.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-08-24 at 05:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Comparing a player going from 85 to 90 with a new player going from 1-10 is a completely different ballgame. Go and start a new character on WOW and see how easy it is to level. You can take on multiple mobs that are a higher than you and survive easily. In GW2, the lower levels are tougher. Taking an 80 to Queensdale is of course like taking candy from a baby. You were used to a max level character with top level gear and then you went to a place (it just happened to be in another game) where leveling is a bit tougher than your max level. Of course you had a bit of a glass chin. Take a person in GW2 trying to level through Orr and it's not a cake walk. I would put it on a par with leveling from 85-90 in WOW. Blizzard do that on purpose, make the lower levels easy because so many people have already gone through that process. A lot of people coming to GW2 from WOW are in exactly that boat, they are used to the low levels being easy like it is in WOW.
    True but it's all the same to me. It's easy to level in GW2 at early levels, no harder than WoW once you get your weapon skills unlocked (what, 5 minutes of killing trash mobs?). Just like it's easy in WoW at early levels. There always has to be a difficulty curve, devs aren't just going to throw heroic dungeons at their players at level 1 although that seems to be what some people are experiencing in GW2, and I honestly can't see why.

Take any class, go zerker and win, it's really that easy. Idk, maybe because I play a diversity of games and not just MMO's I am naturally good at adapting, GW2 was nothing very different to me and still isn't. I've seen all of it in plenty of other games, even done much better.

I doubt any game could be released within the next 10 years that I would have a problem with getting used to in less than an hour. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just think people are too stupid these days to play games competently and that's exactly why ANet and most other devs are feeding the sheep more faceroll content with zero difficulty or flavor. They'll eat anything.

I'm the guy that beat fucking battletoads, yo. Talk to me about challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    When's the last time you made a new character in WoW? No BoAs.

I can complete the level 10 personal story by level 5-6 and it's higher in difficulty than anything you'll find playing around Queensdale (excluding champions). The only thing I will admit can make it difficult is that it's easy to be underleveled until about level 15 (and then assuming you don't rush to a zone that's too far above you).

The hardest time I ever had in low level GW2 was essentially playing an elementalist "wrong". Full glass, fire attunement only, staff, etc. The only class that isn't mowing stuff down at low levels is mesmer because they're late bloomers.

Edit: Not to mention that in GW2 you're basically handed every skill you're ever going to use from the start. In WoW you often have to wait quite a long time before you unlock key class abilities.
    Key class abilities are now unlocked at level 10 in WoW. Sure not all of them, but the main attack and other abilities associated with the spec you choose (mostly passive). I'll admit, haven't leveled a new character in ages but I know it's a lot faster getting key abilities now.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-08-24 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Key class abilities are now unlocked at level 10 in WoW. Sure not all of them, but the main attack and other abilities associated with the spec you choose (mostly passive). I'll admit, haven't leveled a new character in ages but I know it's a lot faster getting key abilities now.
    I know they let you pick your specialization at level 10, but you still don't get everything arguably necessary at that point. My bf recently went back to WoW (said he was tired of GW2's simplistic combat system) and didn't get Renew on his priest until level 26. Looking at Wowhead you still don't get Lava Burst until level 34 on an elemental shaman. Etc.

There aren't that many absolutely necessary slot skills in GW2 as opposed to WoW where abilities like the aforementioned are important parts of your gameplay/rotation.

Regardless, I agree with the rest of what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseG93 View Post
    Im finally getting my head around things ! lvl 12 now, ranger. yes now i know not to take on to many creatures at monce, i now know how he hearts work across the map and how to get them started and how to buy sell items !. doing the story now and its good !!!
    thanks for the friendly and helpful response also

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Gray ive now levelled to 12 on a ranger on that class starting with S ahha, that leaf race. (sorrry not in game at the moment)
    ive been doing hearts and personals and finally got my head around how to sell and buy new armours and weapons, its a great game one thing i am kinda bummed about is. How i can be any level and go jump in and make my level 80 and go play php. i know ya gotta get new armour with the winnings and stuff but yeah i was kinder sad how it doesnt work like any other mmo;s (Guess thats why its different!)

Are you asking how to go to the pvp area or just saying its odd you can and be maxed out instantly?