"Irrelevant" civilizations

As you know, since the Burning Crusade expansion, the planet, Azeroth, is under constant threat of total destruction. So constant in fact, the so-called threats now feel more than forced, the story almost always focuses on a new global crisis every few years. But again, personal stories, interactions between completely different species or political struggles within factions may not give the "epic" feel a massively multiplayer game needs to introduce to it's audience.

However, choosing the global crisis path in almost every opportunity, yet not even mentioning the various sentient cultures of the planet aside from two major superpowers, Alliance and the Horde, causes some harm to the scale of the story. Leaving that much to "head-canon" is never good writing, and I believe at least some of the previously seen capable cultures on the planet should play a role, even if it's only little, in every new grand scale story that hits or threatens Azeroth as a whole.

Take the Tol'vir for instance,

After the Neferset was defeated, Ramkahen now controls most of the Tol'vir settlements in Uldum. They have an advanced, Egyptian-like culture, a political system, they have disciplined military, they are unique and are in control of one of the most distinct, vast areas of Kalimdor. Everything about these guys yell "Hey, look at me dammit, I should be a major player".

What about the Centaur? Sworn enemies of Tauren?

Originating from nomadic cultures, such as Mongols, Turks, Huns, these guys roam the plains of Kalimdor in great numbers. Such great in fact, they almost brought the whole Tauren civilization to extinction.
    Centaur mostly lack "intelligence" to coopetare with other sentient species, they are bloodthirsty pillagers, rapists, raiders. However, they are also capable of keeping an eccentric nomad culture, a shamanistic religion and lifestyle that resembles early Turkestan and Mongolia closely. It is necessary to remember that the early eastern nomads were almost always seen as "the seeds of the devil" by the settled cultures as well, yet their agressive behavior and war-like mentality was mostly produced by adapting to the environment they lived, cold and harsh steppes, impossible to farm or settle, always living under the constant threat of starvation or getting their already few supplies stolen by rival tribes, wild animals, organized military of settled cultures trying to drive them away from their new-found lands, these people were almost always on the run for their lives, it's not surprising that they learned to return the favor.

Centaur may not be the exact copy of Asian nomads, but their settlements, culture certainly show promise and resemblence. If not anything else, they are an incredibly numerous cavalry force and cannon fodder to direct against a mutual threat, such as Burning Blade.

We also have Tuskarr, Furbolg, Yaungol, Taunka, Dragonkin, Elementals, Ethereals, Ogres, Dryads, Hozen, Jinyu, Vrykul, Earthen, neutral Goblin cartels, neutral Pandaren, Trolls, Gnolls, Quilboars and so on. Some in the list are much more suited for interacting with sentient species than others due to such factors as intelligence or instincts, some may have severe limitations such as not being able to leave a spesific area. However, I'm having a hard time to comprehend how and why they leave everything to "most trusted" Alliance and Horde to be dealt with, building bunkers to hide in, hoping the danger just flies away.

TL;DR
    Writers have created many cultures and civilizations to interact with each other, especially during times of crisis. I believe they shouldn't have let their only part in the story to be "go kill 10 of the x race for me then forget that I ever existed". It would be a good, may be even necessary touch for new storylines to include at least some of them, even they are just minor roles.
    Last edited by madokbro; 2013-08-23 at 02:42 PM.

Not a lot to add other than "Yeah I agree" although considering the lack of attention some of the *playable* races get in the story line I can't see it happening
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Mists isn't really a case of global destruction. All the way up until 5.3 it was just pandaria being screwed up. And Siege isn't anywhere near the level of potential disaster that the scourge or deathwing were.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Mists isn't really a case of global destruction. All the way up until 5.3 it was just pandaria being screwed up. And Siege isn't anywhere near the level of potential disaster that the scourge or deathwing were.
    It doesn't need to be, Mists of Pandaria still introduced major stories that any capable civilization would be willing to, or at least able to take part in.

nope, lame horse-like races shouldnt be playable characters.
    "Next-Gen" is only a marketing label and not an actual advancement in the Graphics side of games, so quit fooling yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by madokbro View Post
    It doesn't need to be, Mists of Pandaria still introduced major stories that any capable civilization would be willing to, or at least able to take part in.
    Most of the non-allied races just want to live their lives.
    You also have to consider that usually threats are directed at the Alliance and Horde, since they are the main occupants of Azeroth. It's unlikely, for example that the Tuskarr, Furbolgs, Vrykul, Tol'vir, centaurs, etc.. would be interested in travling to Pandaria to assist the Pandaren in their struggles. Whereas the Alliance and Horde have an interest in the continent and something to gain or potentially lose.

Except, you know, Heart of an Old God.
    Besides, the Horde-Alliance war very much is a global crisis, and potentially just as devastating as Deathwing or the Scourge could have been.

Anyway, on topic, I feel that WoW's writiers have a similar problem I personally have: A lot of good ideas, but not the fortitude to bring those ideas to conclusion. Story-lines are abandoned all the time in favour of completely new, unrelated ones. As the world grows, and more stuff is being added to it, keeping track of all of it has become pretty much impossible. And will only continue this trend more and more that it's such an overburdened mess that only a kitchen sink is missing. (some might argue that we're already there. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with them)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    Anyway, on topic, I feel that WoW's writiers have a similar problem I personally have: A lot of good ideas, but not the fortitude to bring those ideas to conclusion. Story-lines are abandoned all the time in favour of completely new, unrelated ones. As the world grows, and more stuff is being added to it, keeping track of all of it has become pretty much impossible. And will only continue this trend more and more that it's such an overburdened mess that only a kitchen sink is missing. (some might argue that we're already there. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with them)
    Pretty much agree with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    But do you think that those races are actually intrested in leaving their land to solve other races' business? the Tolvir waged a war on Deathwing because Deathwing had followers in their land, followers that threatened their security. but I doubt they will agree to leave their desert homeland and step into for example a dimentional gate into Argus to defeat the burning Legion. however that could be awesome, but i dont' think it'll happen.

Theres alot of sentient races on azeroth that never get a chance other than to be anything more than mindless self centred hostile savages

Like The Quilboar, The Centaur, The Murlocs, The Harpies, The Gnolls, The Wolvar, The Gorlocs, The Yaungol, etc etc

Deleted
    you, I like you and I agree with your post OP. *thumbs up*
    I do suppose that writer have to focus to the most prominent or new races.

I wish though they would revisit Centaurs though, also Quillboar. Also why only races, what abotu organizations? South Sea pirates?

Deleted
    The Arakkoas !

Deleted
    A new faction of pure centaurs appeared on the lastest Warcraft comic. They were beaten by a Horde Spec Ops team and a lesser centaur joined the Horde.

So, it's not that the those civilizations are irrelevant, it's that the superpowers of Azeroth don't let them to rise up. Main example being the Zandalari, the ones with a minor chance to hurt the Alliance/Horde status quo, mainly because of the shear number of trolls on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is true, however it wouldn't make sense if Mists was about a global disaster. It wouldn't make sense to face global disaster after global disaster after global disaster. Both Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm were global disasters, we don't need a third in a row.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, I like what you are saying. It would be nice to atleast see more of Azeroth's races. Something that breaks down the isolation of these races. Maybe put some more npc interaction in major faction cities or visiting caravans or ambassadors.
    Cthulhu 2024, why vote for a lesser evil

I was always disappointed that the Ethereals completely stopped being relevant to anything. I always really liked their design and the way they simply...ceased to be upon death, leaving only their equipment behind.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice