Deleted

Resto - new to 25 mans - all tips appreciated

Hey guys

after a short break from wow I am starting in 25man guild as a resto. I have never been raiding 25mans and I can imagine it must be quite challenging to switch after those years from 10man optics therefore I am asking you for feedback.

I have no resto gear atm so I'll be using boomkin set with healing trinkets - you can check me out - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ndtrixx/simple
    (I have requested restoration for head and hands from my resto set so meta will change. I have used int/haste and int/spirit gems to match resto and boomkin needs as much as possible)

I would very welcome your comments on gearing (which haste tier would you use with my gear), any good tips on talent choices (SOTF vs INC in 25mans?) maybe glyphs or fight specific tips.. We are 10/13.

thanks !
    Last edited by mmoc2b85c39607; 2013-08-23 at 01:56 PM.

swotf/inc/treants should be swapped between I believe. Treants are good on stack and heal (megaera), they also are nice at snipe healing low people. inc for burst damage, so the whole CD is worthwhile, sotf otherwise. Haste isn't worth it past 3039 (although imo 3043 for tranq tick) unless you hit the 13k mark. Wouldn't hurt to do 320 spirit gems in blue and white sockets. Boomkin and Resto gem/reforge are practically night and day, stick to one and don't go half-way. Also if you're going to stick to it, consider swapping cloak. You could wait till 5.4 (I would, actually so nevermind) because then you can have more than 1 cloak on you.
    Last edited by boomkinhero; 2013-08-23 at 02:24 PM.

SotF vs Incarnation: Most people will tell you out right "SotF is crap compared to Incarnation" ignore that both have their uses and place. SotF is nice for its consistent healing over a fight. Inc is better for burst damage use it a little before the predictable damage get as many LB up and weave in RG procs. Inc will be good if you are having mana problems it as it can be used to save mana from all the free RG procs.

Glyphs: Wild Growth is a must for 25. Lifebloom is mandatory until they remove it in patch 5.4. Regrowth is the last one I use some argue that having the RG hot can be useful for swiftmending but that's a once in a blue moon thing honestly. My glyphs rarely change unless we need more stampeding roars in which case I get the glyph for it.

Haste Cap: 3043 is the best cap until you have the gear to go after 13163 as soon as you hit one of these points reforge everything else to mastery. As boomkinhero stated resto and boomkin reforge and gemming are completely different so you can't go half way.

Gemming: there are two sides on this
    - Stack Int: Red = 160 Int, Yellow = 80 Int / 160 Mastery, Blue = 80 Int / 160 Spr
    OR
    -Stack Mastery: Red = 80 Int / 160 Mastery, Yellow = 320 Mastery, Blue = 160 Spr / 160 Mastery

Personally I like the int one but like i said people are in 1 camp or another and swear by it.

For fight specific tips I started a thread a while back that has some tips but I didn't keep up with it:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...one-of-Thunder

If you want any other tips let me know and I'll try to add them there or here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally always enjoy SoTF unless its a fight that requires high controlled burst from you specifically, like Lei Shen NM/HC for instance. You will then spend hours contemplating the pro's and con's of haste breakpoints vs mastery, followed by reading forums and getting mixed results. Biggest thing for 25's though I've felt is that you can use Tranq as a high-power revival by matching SoTF/Berserk (If troll)/Lifeblood (If Herb)/ 13k haste (If possible) This allows for a wider range of your cooldown usage in terms of the group.

Find out what talent you enjoy playing with/match your play style - I personally go SOTF most of the fights.

Find a haste BP that fits you, along with a spirit number that fits you. In my experience you need more spirit in 25 man than you do in 10 man. For your gear 3043 Haste.

Work your mushrooms like a boss.

Play with symbiosis. Having it on the right class can be what makes or breaks the fight for you.

I don't particularly like Incarnation, but that's probably only because the other healers in my group are so solid that I've never had to worry about responses to burst scenarios. I used to stick solely to SotF, but I found that my lack of overall mental bandwidth in fights was causing me to miss several Wild Growths due to trying to keep an eye on the different cooldowns of Swiftmend and WG. These days I'm primarily using Treants, as tracking them is incredibly easy, and all of their healing is smart healing. If you don't want to worry about thinking too much, you can simply dump all of the treants on the melee stack, let Efflorescence heal them and allow their Healing Touches to heal wherever it is necessary. They can make up a very large portion of your healing done after a fight. With SotF, I always felt like the extra WG ticks were just going to overheal.

Quote Originally Posted by Manaroth View Post
    Play with symbiosis. Having it on the right class can be what makes or breaks the fight for you.
    I'm actually new to healing on a resto but I have found this tip to be extremely important.

In the group I play with I generally chuck it on the Warrior tank so he gets a dodge cooldown, or on our priest so that I get life grip.

I have saved a number of attempts just by using lifegrip on bosses like durumu, where people occasionally get targeted by FoW while drain lifed.

The first ripped our Warlock back onto the platform and another caused our monk to bounce 100feet in the air but stay on the platform and at a healable level.

Never underestimate what other classes spells can do for YOU!

Having it on a shaman and you get spiritwalkers grace. Combine that with tranq, and you are fully Mobile while channeling.

I use it on a hunter when doing Lei Shen Heroic, which means i get deterence so I can solo soak static shock.
    On Horridon, I put it on a pala, so I get cleanse and can dispel disease (gate 3)

And as you mention, life grip is nice aswell. Plus it can be used to mess around with your guild - especially on the snails before Jikun

Quote Originally Posted by Manaroth View Post

And as you mention, life grip is nice aswell. Plus it can be used to mess around with your guild - especially on the snails before Jikun
    I may have killed our warrior multiple times on snails >_>

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    I'm actually new to healing on a resto but I have found this tip to be extremely important.

In the group I play with I generally chuck it on the Warrior tank so he gets a dodge cooldown, or on our priest so that I get life grip.

I have saved a number of attempts just by using lifegrip on bosses like durumu, where people occasionally get targeted by FoW while drain lifed.

The first ripped our Warlock back onto the platform and another caused our monk to bounce 100feet in the air but stay on the platform and at a healable level.

Never underestimate what other classes spells can do for YOU!
    Does your warrior actually use it though? It has a huge rage cost which interferes with their active mitigation, my go to symbiosis target is a shaman for SWG after that it would be a hunter for deterrence.

Deleted
    symbiosis can be very usefull depending on the combat, I normally use it on a monk to get damage reducction+life or on a dk for damage reducction.
    But depending on combat can be really usefull, on horridon use it on pala to get double dispell, on tortos a dk is great to avoid some stomp stun, I use it before a stomp and start channeling tranq avoiding the stun is great so i can near full heal the raid by myself

I also use symvio on a mage, when i want to erase a big debuff.
    Like at Jin kun, i clean 4-5 pools, and then with a fast ice block i delete the debuff
    Die by the sword

Quote Originally Posted by Migraine View Post
    Does your warrior actually use it though? It has a huge rage cost which interferes with their active mitigation, my go to symbiosis target is a shaman for SWG after that it would be a hunter for deterrence.
    Yeah, its more of an 'Oh crap' cooldown, like if he has to take an extra hit from a boss due to RNG on timers/raid repositioning.