Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What's even the point in heroic dungeons anymore?

As far as I know Heroic dungeons were once created to be the dificult version of an dungeon but let's be honest here they are anything but hard and quite frankly that honor has now gone to challenge mode.

So that now leaves me to the question what's the point in heroics anymore? Besides adding another tier of gear to add to stats bloat. s they now seem as maybe slightly more difficult but still zero effort required grind fests now.

To gear up for raiding, obviously. Kind of not as much since they haven't added any new ones in MoP, but that's what they are for.

Deleted
    they are exactly that. grind opportunities for justice points

To bridge dinging 90 to LFR/Normal Raids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    To gear up for raiding, obviously. Kind of not as much since they haven't added any new ones in MoP, but that's what they are for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorlok View Post
    they are exactly that. grind opportunities for justice points
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    To bridge dinging 90 to LFR/Normal Raids.
    To be perfectly honest this points didn't really show me any more point to heroics as these things could be done through the normal versions of the dungeons aswell and considering the difficulty of both heroic and normal dungeons wouldn't even be an really noticeable change either besides one less tier.

Heroic dungeons offer blizz ways to gateway gear people up having a wide variety of armor options. If they didn't exist you would rely on the max level dungeons of which there are like 3.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see heroics as another addition to what the game offers, rather than what they can be used for. I guess if I'm bored with something else, I have another option to go and do them if I'd like. Something always has a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by label strew View Post
    To be perfectly honest this points didn't really show me any more point to heroics as these things could be done through the normal versions of the dungeons aswell and considering the difficulty of both heroic and normal dungeons wouldn't even be an really noticeable change either besides one less tier.
    Well the normal versions are generally allowed before max level. It wouldn't make any sense for a 90 to be grinding ilvl 410 gear, just like it would be pretty ridiculous for a leveling 86 to be getting ilvl 463.

The point is clear as day, frankly. You just may not agree with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a misnomer calling MoP heroic dungeons "heroics" when they are just lvl 90 normals. Blizzard even said the name didn't mean anything and was just to avoid confusion:
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    There are no level 90 regular dungeons.

The Mists of Pandaria heroic dungeons are easier than the Cataclysm heroic dungeons.* Once we made that decision, we thought that having two versions of the level 90 dungeons (normal and heroic) didn't make sense because they would be very similar in difficulty and offer similar loot. We thought about calling them something besides "heroic," since heroic tends to mean hard to a lot of players, but we also needed to call them something, because some dungeons like Temple of the Jade Serpent have a lower-level and a level 90 version. We thought about calling them "level 90 versions" but figured "heroic" required less explanation. (We also could have dispensed with lower level dungeons, or made lower level versions of the level 90 dungeons, but we felt like both solutions were just to make the nomenclature of "heroic" more clear, which seemed like bad reasons.)

TLDR: Some Mists of Pandaria dungeons have lower level and level 90 versions. Others just have level 90 versions. In both cases, the level 90 versions are called "heroic."

* - If you like very difficult dungeons, Challenge Modes are targeted at you. (Source)
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-23 at 06:32 PM.

Deleted
    Me and my friends compete who can solo them the fastest. It is actually fun, finally breached 13 minutes today on GSS as tank.

Normal end game levels were labelled "heroic dungeons" to avoid confusion. The real heroics are challenge mode.

However since LFR was giving better rewards for a lot less effort, they only gave cosmetic stuff from challenge modes.

So yes, the dungeons are only there to farm justice/valor and get your initial raid gear.

well i think you have overlooked a pretty major detail of 5.4 notes, all the valor gear from the rep vendor will not only be rep-free but will become JUSTICE POINTS

this means on my ALTS i can now get them to 90 and or gear them with all 489+ gear within a few days of 5.4 and then clear all 476/483 content 1 clear each and probably start in tot, get to 502+ and then right into SOO LFR. The fact that LFR wont open for SSO week 1 is even better because it gives my alts an extra week to gear up and be ilvl 500 come LFR wing 1 release.

This ultimately means for people like me who do mostly LFR and maybe try out flex, we can now have multiple characters at 535+ ilvl and all the time in the world (SOO will be out for awhile...) to get them all there, and finalize stuff prior to next expansion.

This makes it exciting because it cuts down the amount of time to gear alts, and even though its still a grind for justice from heroics we have done a million times, i think with fresh 90's grinding for a new reason (justice) and getting dem 489 shinies will be far better reward now.

So basically once hit 90, crafted pvp 458 gear will get you into heroics if your gear isnt quite 435 yet, (my priest is 88 with 421) crafted weapon, 502 boots from easy quest, 522 neck from neutral shado-pan assault, if you go so far as to craft the 496 stuff (requiring blood spirits or whatever) then basically now within a day or 2 you are almost tot ready gear wise, skipping over entire tiers of raids up to raid prior to SOO. Then grind SOO and get 528 gear, upgrade it all over time (536) and if you do some flex maybe grab a few 540 (548 upgraded) and you'd be set

my hunter main is only at 508 ilvl, so by doing SOO LFR/Flex its pretty sweet that i could come out at the end with almost 30+ ilvls more (535-540 ish) and comparing to heroic thunderforged sitting at 576 and normals 553 (561 upgraded) sitting at 540 on multiple toons at the end of mop will be perfectly fine with me.

Deleted
    On a related note, I think Blizz should make all their dungeons available in a "levelling" version, instead of only half of them. Only having Jade Temple and Stormstout Brewery available for much of your levels from 85-90 gets insanely boring if, especially if you want to level as a healer and don't fancy trying to quest in your questing-gimped healing spec.

If we had 12 "levelling" dungeons spread out over 5 levels, and then the "heroic" version of them once you hit 90, it would be a whole different thing.

It surprises me Blizz hasn't done this since it should mean more "content" for probably very little extra work, something they always cherish.

That way the "heroic" label would make sense, in a way at least, since there'd at least be two versions of them all.

Hope they do this for TDB.

Deleted
    I don't think there will be much of heroic dungeons in the future. Blizzard obviously favors the more easily done scenarios. Which is kinda sad, I like dungeons more than scenarios. Really hate the latter.

scenario isnt reliable way of gearing up

just imagine the outcry from hardcore guilds that will complain that the race to world first decided but who is luckier with drops in scenarios

so no, dungeons wont go away unless they will remodel the whole thing together and will make flexible dungeons or scenarios
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Originally there were max level normal dungeons to prepare you for heroics in general. This expansion they did away with those so heroic versions are the only version for some. Otherwise heroic has only meant maximum level dungeon this expansion.

The point is to run them once a day for 80VP any time I'm under the VP cap and there's something left to upgrade.

Well, I guess 5 man dungeons became more useless than initially intended because Blizzard kinda screwed it up. It's that unfortunate combination of making only a few for the whole expansion, making them completely and utterly unrewarding, and shifting all means of any character progression - be it super-casual or totally hardcore - to raids. And somehow thinking that scenarios would really make up for the lack of 5 mans. Hope they rconsider for the next expansion. An MMO without dungeons is kinda ... stupid.

Am I the only that still enjoys doing 5 mans? I mean, I really like playing them. I would like love to see new 5 mans just for the sake of playing some easy content with some random ppl, wouldn't even care if it would just drop jps and 463s like the other ones. Feels like Blizz penalized 5 mans over the MOP patches for the idea of not providing instant catch up system. At least they gave us some new scenario, I still enjoy them a bit (but still prefer 5 mans). Oh yeah, lfr? don't get me started...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urza29 View Post
    my hunter main is only at 508 ilvl
    But to the OP's point my hunter alt is i516 currently and never set foot in a single heroic LFD on that character. Just spent 500 gp worth of 458 PVP gear, world bosses, LFR, H scenarios, barrens, arena scenario provides gaurentee weapon, VP gear, etc.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.