Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[ELE] Do most Elemental Shamans generally agree...

Do most Elemental Shamans generally agree that the way damage is allocated between our damage dealing abilities is what it should be?

I have recently picked up my shaman again after a long hiatus, and in elemental I find that on single target, LvB makes up 40% of total damage and LB 20%, and all other abilities (Fulm, FS DoT, ES, FS, etc.) divided into miniscule little slivers of damage.

For AoE, Chain Lightning is comprising some 75~80% of my damage. It seems out of whack to have some spells doing so much damage and other spells doing so little in total.

When I play my other ranged specs/class that i commonly play (Balance, Shadow, Aff/Destro/Demo, BM) their damage sources are fairly evenly split between 5~10 total sources of damage; say the top spell does about 15% and bottom spell does about 10%.

I mean Elemental in general does great damage, but it just seems spell balance is really off.

++++
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2013-08-23 at 09:10 PM.

Lvb is indirectly influenced by the fact that Ascendance is pure Lvb spam, while other Classes just boost their Stats or total dmg.

Without that, Lvb may make up around ~30% of your dmg.

Blizzard said that Elemental is one of their "simpler" specs and they're fine with it.

I just wish they would do some work with searing totem. I think it would be pretty cool if it snapshot and benefited from haste and mastery. Totems are supposed to be the basis of the class, but searing totem in its current state is barely worth using.

I put up a thread on the PTR discussion forums about how we could make Totems a more integral part of our dps rotations and at the same time possibly help fix some of the PvP vs PvE balancing issues. I also posted a thread in here with the web address of the other thread, but neither has seen any response as of yet, save for one trolling DK. In short, it is just some ideas I came up with about how Totems could be a more important part of our class design. I'd appreciate it if someone could give it a read and throw some intelligent feedback.

Deleted
    Ele mechanics are a clusterfuck beyond redemption. Which is sad, because I don't want them to changes them, because the playstyle somehow just feels right (pve side of things!)

Scaling is so ultra bonkers:
    Totems dont scale with mastery, and only partly with haste.
    Lava Burst doesn't scale with crit (and used to almost instantly hit the haste-cap before the cast time change), and next tier i could see mastery being hardcapped for elemental shamans. (Which would be hilarious; in a burst scenario LvB could 'cap' crit/haste/mastery - you'd fire a 100% crit spell that is bound to overload in 1sec intervals.)
    Troll+EM+LMG+Hasteproccs+Bloodlust. Could be so good (i see some locks drooling on their keyboards), but is actually so bad because of the way ele scales with stacked haste proccs.

/edit after reading post over mine: Totally agree, Searing Totem and to a lesser extent Flame Shock seem so obvious for shifting damage allocation
    Last edited by mmocb77704d67b; 2013-08-24 at 01:00 AM.

next tier you would rise about 5-10 levels higher , and hardcapping wouldn't be an issue , since all stats scaling would drop as it would be the introductory tier of a new expansion and base damage would matter more than secondary stat scaling as it is at the start of any new expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Dave View Post
    I just wish they would do some work with searing totem. I think it would be pretty cool if it snapshot and benefited from haste and mastery. Totems are supposed to be the basis of the class, but searing totem in its current state is barely worth using.
    i dunno about barely, its a ton of damage for 1 GCD.

I think it's fine as it is. I think we could see both flame shock and searing totem (to give us a more meaningful reason to drop it besides a few k dps) crits proccing lava bursts rather than the fixed chance. It could maybe put to much value into crit though seeing as how now before next patch my crit is about 20% which would make for some silly amounts of lava burst procs.
    Last edited by mmines; 2013-08-24 at 01:54 AM.

The whole point of the spec is to cast LvB as much as possible. LvB insta procs, Ascendance allow us to do this. Its just how the class play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Txiv View Post
    Totally agree with this. ~250-300k dmg per GCD is NOT bad!

Still - ST and FS should be the best way to adress single-target sustained dmg problems. But hey, that is old news and Blizz seems to have other ideas.
    Last edited by mmocdfc71e8c7b; 2013-08-24 at 08:12 AM.

under 3 min fights, (jinrokh) elemental shaman have 40-50% lvb ( with mastery and EotE ), but in the same fight Shadows have 17% mindflay insinity, 10% mindflay and 10% mindflay dmg (mastey) make ~37% , firemages 30% combustion and 30% pyroblast, enhancement shamans 30% from Prime Fire elementar, destro lock's 35% chaosbolt! relax

Yeah, but it's stationary and over the course of a full minute. Even the longest fights you'll only cast ST 7 or 8 times.

remember flame shock increase lvb dmg by 50% and give you free instant lvb

Quote Originally Posted by Leouch View Post
    remember flame shock increase lvb dmg by 50% and give you free instant lvb
    yea, 2-3 targets with FS make u mobil and u can cast so many LvB's

Deleted
    Except that that 1 global could be filled with a lightning bolt/fulmination anyway. Not bothering with searing totem at all is what? A 1-3% dps loss max? A loss for sure, but far from a big one compared to rest of rotation, or other specs who also have "buffs" to maintain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    Except that that 1 global could be filled with a lightning bolt/fulmination anyway. Not bothering with searing totem at all is what? A 1-3% dps loss max? A loss for sure, but far from a big one compared to rest of rotation, or other specs who also have "buffs" to maintain.
    Not using kill command ever in a bm hunters rotation in its current state is also "only" a 3% dps loss but no hunter is gonna stop using it. neither should any shaman stop dropping a ST.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Dps" is not as important as "damage done". Dont get them confused.

Searing totem may not add a lot of DPS. But it does a pile of damage for 1 gcd and almost 0 mana.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

I like elemental being simple.

A lot of caster specs have multiple short duration dots or other annoying things to keep track of - elemental is for people who want to blast faces without worrying about multiple dots or buffs or whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I like elemental being simple.

A lot of caster specs have multiple short duration dots or other annoying things to keep track of - elemental is for people who want to blast faces without worrying about multiple dots or buffs or whatever...
    +1 thats it

While it's the same spell, not all Lava Bursts shown on your recount come from the same source. Some from Ascendance, and some from Lava Surge. Very different mechanics.