Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Will ESO being sub based affect WoW?

Just to clarify this not nor do I want it to be a "WoW is dying" thread.

With ESO being confirmed as p2p with a $15 subscription fee how do we think this could affect WoW's players base, if at all? I know that I'm very interested to play ESO, but being unable to afford two monthly subscriptions it'll be unlikely that I'll be able to play both.

As I'm still enjoying wow I doubt I'll unsub for ESO but it made me wonder if maybe other people in a similar position would?

Deleted
    Although I can afford to pay both subs, my time is limited, so I'm only going to pay to play one game at a time. I'm going to wait for the general consensus on ESO before buying it. If it's good, I'll quit WoW temporarily to see for myself what it's like. If it's good enough to stop me going back to WoW, then so be it. However, I doubt that'll be the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really daring to go sub. Everything else has fallen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrupted View Post
    I suspect the WoW sub drops have them thinking, and the Wildstar and FF14 devs, that there are now millions of former wow players out there who have proven willing to shell out each month for an MMO so we could try and scoop up a piece of that action.

10+ Year Old Account
    And ESO doesn't look anywhere near polished enough to maintain a sub.

Remember SWTOR tried it, a lot of us thought it was the second coming as well. It failed and went F2P and isn't doing great in that regard either. Sub based MMOs don't have a market it feels like anymore, people want micro transactions and a much more casual experience. Hope ESO is cool though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    And ESO doesn't look anywhere near polished enough to maintain a sub.
    A decision you're making about a game barely in beta? Can only imagine what you'd have thought of WoW at this point in development. You sure wouldn't be here now.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess is they are trying to target WoW players and say do you want our new game with ur 15 or the old game for 15
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

It makes perfect sense to go for a subscription fee when a game is first released as the most interest in a game is when it is first hits the market. A game going F2P after launching as sub based is not a sign of failure.

Deleted
    since the release of vanguard I wait 2-4 months till I buy a game and only if it doesn't already have "flopped" on regular news sites / forums.
    So yeah I simply didn't spend money anymore even though I could play some of the games then at some point (I always wait for "has gone f2p yay") ;p
    Sad thing is even when they finally have become free to play they still aren't worth my time
    Doubt it will be different with ESO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did Rift or Swtor?
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Left Click slash right click block isnt going to hold up in the MMO model and ESO will go down the route of SWTOR.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    A decision you're making about a game barely in beta? Can only imagine what you'd have thought of WoW at this point in development. You sure wouldn't be here now.
    A lot of the design choices lack a polished feel, not just the game. I highly doubt they can completely revamp their combat engine at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Nope. Left Click slash right click block isnt going to hold up in the MMO model and ESO will go down the route of SWTOR.
    This has actually been my biggest concern about this game - how the gameplay of Skyrim (for example) will translate into an MMO... it doesn't sound very good.

Deleted
    you forget ESO is part of a franchise that already has a big following. Obviously starwars is huge but not every star wars fan is a gamer. Rift didn't have that already established world and lore to back it up. Something that both wow and eso have with their games.

EDIT: This was in reply to the comment "Did Rift or Swtor?"

Really I think it's smart on their part. They can probably stay sustainable on a few subs if they do well enough at launch and if that's the case they don't have to turn their game into a softcore version of itself. Will it effect WoW sub numbers? Probably not. Does that matter? Not in the slightest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItcheeBeard View Post
    you forget ESO is part of a franchise that already has a big following. Obviously starwars is huge but not every star wars fan is a gamer. Rift didn't have that already established world and lore to back it up. Something that both wow and eso have with their games.
    Star Wars has a huge established base, especially looking at the success of the KOTOR games.

Quote Originally Posted by ItcheeBeard View Post
    Just to clarify this not nor do I want it to be a "WoW is dying" thread.

With ESO being confirmed as p2p with a $15 subscription fee how do we think this could affect WoW's players base, if at all? I know that I'm very interested to play ESO, but being unable to afford two monthly subscriptions it'll be unlikely that I'll be able to play both.

As I'm still enjoying wow I doubt I'll unsub for ESO but it made me wonder if maybe other people in a similar position would?
    Same here, also the same with Wildstar. I would have played both of those games but I'm unwilling to pay for 2+ subscriptions when also paying for WoW. So for me at least, it's a positive effect on WoW because I won't be tempted by Wildstar and/or TESO to unsubscribe. If they were f2p or b2p or similar, I might have been.

It's really a simple and redundant question. Any new MMO that comes out is going to effect WoW's subscription total, because out of 8 million people there is going to be *at least* one person that will try it out. If you asking any more than that, then don't, because nobody wants another stinkin' WoW-killer thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    Did Rift or Swtor?
    Pretty sure this is a meant to be some-kind of rhetorical question, but you'd be wrong. Yes, of course they affected WoW's subscription. I guarantee some people who left WoW to play those games never came back either. The question is pretty simple, cut and dry, black and white: Does Game X effect WoW's subscriptions? You can't honestly think that no game that has come out since WoW was released hasn't effect WoW's subs.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2013-08-24 at 07:08 PM.

80% of ESO's income is gonna be on consoles. of skyrim's 12,000,000 copies sold, only 17% was on PC

they're tapping into a market that blizz is just about to tap into with d3. they won't fail, but they may come to the conclusion that no sub is better. this is unlike any other MMO, wow's combat will NEVER translate to consoles and consoles are the bigger market

PCs are second rate nowadays, market is small, more expensive and more complicated to appease, etc

TESO is probably gonna go sub as long as possible then switch, it really depends on what the sub model for consoles looks like. you're a fool if you think that the 12,000,000 copies of skyrim sold won't translate to success. wow's combat is unnecessarily cluttered and bloated. it's a model that is on the way out. automatically morphing abilities like gw2 and combos like gw2 and teso are the future.

people are sick of watching a fucking UI while the game goes on around them